Help and recommendation required

ericlhk

Nov 19, 2011
Hougang
I'm looking for a DSLR camera as a beginner with budget of about $1000. What are the make and model you guys recommend? I'm ok with all the brands in the market. Please kindly advice. Thanks.

Hi ericlhk, Have you read the stickies at the top of this forum page? There are two that would give you some advice on how to choose a DSLR..

For starters, Have you thought about what photography genre would you be going into? what are the features that you need in your DSLR?

Also, do you have addition budget set asdie for accessories like, flash, dry cabinet, extra battery, and so on?

Do read these two stickies: FAQ:What DSLR camera to buy , How to choose a camera(the sensor format method)

All DSLR of any brands are good enough for many things... IQ wise, they are all excellent and nowadays all of them can take full HD movie, etc etc. So it is really up to you (the TS) to go down to the shop and have a feel of these camera, then see which one suits you the best.

Of course after awhile, people would start coming in telling you to get the brands that they supported most and other brands simply sucks big time (or in another words, not as value for money as the brand/s that they liked), so it is really up to you to see whether you would listen to them, or would you just go down to the shops and have a first hand feel of these cameras.

Also I would suggest that you do not need to care which sensor company manufacture the sensor for which camera brands... because it simply does not matter. A sensor is an important part of the camera, but it is not the only thing that matter.

All I could say is, it is not the amount of features in the camera that matters, it is if the features in the cameras suits you and if its ergonomic, price range and if the button placement, scrolls, user interface that make the most sense to you.

While you are at it... do check the mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras system up too. These systems are capable, smaller in size and pretty well though up...

Last edited:
There are so many brands, models and formats that you have to make the decision yourself TS. $1000 is a very small budget. Will only be able to get you an entry level camera body with a kit lens, plus the other essentials you will need to get (like dry cab, camera bag, filters, etc....).

TS not worries, I had the same question some 2 years ago. It is normal but some 'experts' may have forgotten that question as they feel it is so natural to know the basic.

For entry level, all brands or models of the same price bracket are almost the same. Cannon and Nikon are most popular, so it would be easier to buy or sell them later when yiu want to upgrade Also, if you want to buy 2nd hand lenses or parts, there are more choices.

Once you decide on a brand, you are likely to stick to it because you don't want to learn where the settings of another brand all over again and you are likely to own some lenses, etc.

Just decide on a brand and model. If you ask me, either Cannon or Nikon is fine. But you are not limited to these 2 brands.

Popular dSLR choices are the Canon 1100D and Nikon D3200.

Just go try them for yourself. If you don't like either, there's always Pentax, Sony etc.

I'm looking for a DSLR camera as a beginner with budget of about $1000. What are the make and model you guys recommend? I'm ok with all the brands in the market. Please kindly advice. Thanks.

This highly depends on personal preference. All cameras are generally decent and you should just read up more about the pros and cons of each brand and try out the camera as well at the shops to see if you like the feel.

Some entry level cameras you can consider (assuming you want the latest), which should be within your budget with kit lens...

Canon 650D
Nikon D3200
Pentax K-r
(can't remember what Sony has)

These are the 4 main brands lor.

edutilos- said:
This highly depends on personal preference. All cameras are generally decent and you should just read up more about the pros and cons of each brand and try out the camera as well at the shops to see if you like the feel.

Some entry level cameras you can consider (assuming you want the latest), which should be within your budget with kit lens...

Canon 650D
Nikon D3200
Pentax K-r
(can't remember what Sony has)

These are the 4 main brands lor.

Sony has the a37 and 57, which are dslt