Help and Advise needed - PnS or Mirrorless

ctm1968

Sep 1, 2008
Hi

I was shopping for a back up camera for my coming trip in Dec.
Was firm to go for a higher end PnS at first, so shortlisted the following:

Canon G16
Lumix LX7
Lumix TZ40
Nikon CoolPix P330

but at the same time come to know of a very good promotion for Samsumg NX1000 at $599 (which is about the same as or even lower to those model I listed above)
This promotion $599 come with kit lens 20-50 and zoom lens 50-200, 8GB and 16 GB SD card, 1 additional battery and a leader cover.

So now I am stuck...... been reading on review for NX1000, and it is a not so bad camera in term of performance. Main reason for it larger sensor for $599 is a deal not to miss......

Any advise?? Thanks in advance

if this is your backup camera, what's your main camera? Also, what do you mean by backup -- in case your main cam fails? Or for those times you don't want to carry a large camera?

Sony rx100

if this is your backup camera, what's your main camera? Also, what do you mean by backup -- in case your main cam fails? Or for those times you don't want to carry a large camera?

My main camera is D5100. Both, first incase my main camera fails during the trip, also act as additional camera. After the trip, it may be a back up for time I don't want to carry large camera.

How much is Sony RX10 and RX100? Another of my consideration is also COST :)
I am not prepare to spend too much on this camera.

How much is Sony RX10 and RX100? Another of my consideration is also COST :) I am not prepare to spend too much on this camera.

Since it's a backup and with a budget and a preference for a smaller body, get the RX100.

A second hand one goes for around $500+. If not anyone of the original ones u short listed will do. LX7's a very decent camera too.

The RX10's going for around $15xx , and with its size , it doesn't really feel like what a backup compact camera should be.

Since it's a backup and with a budget and a preference for a smaller body, get the RX100.

A second hand one goes for around $500+. If not anyone of the original ones u short listed will do. LX7's a very decent camera too.

The RX10's going for around $15xx , and with its size , it doesn't really feel like what a backup compact camera should be.

I just checked, the SONY RX100 is $999 (new), I am not prepare to go for 2nd hand, because my trip is in 1.5 week time :(
Beside that the LX7 and most of my shortlisted are PnS. I am aware that SONY RX100 also used the larger sensor and the picture quality is better then the Sumsang NX1000, but it is a mirrorless.

My other plan is also to move to full frame after my Dec trip, so I will sell all my DX stuff (both and lens) to fund my Full Frame, therefore the NX1000 may become my main camera for some time till I have the fund for my full frame dream :)

Looks like I am going for the NX1000 ...... it comes with a 50-200 zoom lens for $599 !

Thanks for all the advise! keep it coming, I still have time to change :)

Rx100 is point and shoot

if you're bringing a D5100 with you, a mirrorless is pretty big for a backup.

I'd just bring a compact -- LX7 or the crowd favourite RX100.

Don't just get the Samsung because it's on offer. Go play with it at the store to find out if you like it. Feature lists are one thing, but there's nothing like real hands-on testing.

Personally, I think you're just itchy to try out a new system :) Try doesn't have to mean buy of course. Keep your options open when you go try, don't get emotionally invested into the new system before a test. Less likely to make a hasty decision that way.

Oh, if I were you, I'd stick with the Nikon till your FF 'upgrade'. Every time you swap systems you're gonna lose money. At least with the Nikon, you have the option of staying with the same brand and keeping some things like flashes and FF lenses that you may have acquired by then.

I just checked, the SONY RX100 is $999 (new), I am not prepare to go for 2nd hand, because my trip is in 1.5 week time :( Beside that the LX7 and most of my shortlisted are PnS. I am aware that SONY RX100 also used the larger sensor and the picture quality is better then the Sumsang NX1000, but it is a mirrorless. My other plan is also to move to full frame after my Dec trip, so I will sell all my DX stuff (both and lens) to fund my Full Frame, therefore the NX1000 may become my main camera for some time till I have the fund for my full frame dream :) Looks like I am going for the NX1000 ...... it comes with a 50-200 zoom lens for $599 ! Thanks for all the advise! keep it coming, I still have time to change :)

Not being judgmental but ever thought why the Samsung is so cheap while the old RX100 still commands a higher price when it's in the point and shoot category ?

Go and try the Samsung and if it suits u , buy it :)

if you're bringing a D5100 with you, a mirrorless is pretty big for a backup.

I'd just bring a compact -- LX7 or the crowd favourite RX100.

Don't just get the Samsung because it's on offer. Go play with it at the store to find out if you like it. Feature lists are one thing, but there's nothing like real hands-on testing.

Personally, I think you're just itchy to try out a new system :) Try doesn't have to mean buy of course. Keep your options open when you go try, don't get emotionally invested into the new system before a test. Less likely to make a hasty decision that way.

Oh, if I were you, I'd stick with the Nikon till your FF 'upgrade'. Every time you swap systems you're gonna lose money. At least with the Nikon, you have the option of staying with the same brand and keeping some things like flashes and FF lenses that you may have acquired by then.

Thanks for the valuable advise. I do agreed with your point :) Ya I am a bit itchy to try out a new system :)
BTW, the NX1000 is about the same size as LX7 (without the lens). I will sure going back to Nikon when I go FF, currently all my lens are for DX so not so painful to switch to FF, just to sell all and buy new ones :) so the mirrorless NX1000 will became a backup in diff system.

Anyway, I will go down to the shop to do my hand-on test before I make my final choice.

Thank you! Keep the advise coming!! Cheers!

Tried RX100 II at sony and loved the small size. Really really small! The noise is also well controlled for a PnS.

Tried RX100 II at sony and loved the small size. Really really small! The noise is also well controlled for a PnS.

I tried it too, very good but the prize tag is a bit over my limit for a backup :)

I tried it too, very good but the prize tag is a bit over my limit for a backup :)

I think I paid more for my RX100 than D5100.

Still, i think a good pns is a more suitable and hassle free choice.

My trip is next week so not much time to look at 2nd hand, arrange meet up, test, the nego price etc etc.....

Get the NX1000 or looked for the Nikon 1 J1 or V1. If you go for the Nikon J1 or V1, remember to get an adapter, so you can sure lenses with your D5100.

If I was you, I will not hesitate to jump at the Nikon 1 series, especially that the price are really not the bad and it had the 1 inch sensor like the Sony RX100... plus it was small too, focus fast, had fast fps, handle low light well... and both J1/V1 can shared the same lenses as your D5100, even if that means your package wldn't be small but at least you only need to bring one set of lenses.

The NX1000 is an APS-C mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. The sensor size is the same as your D5100.
You should really compare it to the likes of Sony E-mount and Fuji X-mount cameras.

Seems to be an apples to oranges comparison except on price.

How big is too big for this back-up camera? What are your other priorities and max budget?

The NX1000 is an APS-C mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. The sensor size is the same as your D5100.
You should really compare it to the likes of Sony E-mount and Fuji X-mount cameras.

Seems to be an apples to oranges comparison except on price.

How big is too big for this back-up camera? What are your other priorities and max budget?

I guess the size of the back up is not an issue to me, in fact most of my short listed camera are already small. The top priorites for me is lower cost and good picture quality. I also worry that if I get a not so high end PnS, it will become a white elephant after my trip. That's why when I discover the NX1000 promo ($599 with 2 lens + 1 extra batt and etc....) I am thinking it may become my main camera for few months to 1 year while I am moving to FX body.

The main draw for the NX1000 to me is the APS-C censor and the freebie. For that price is very hard not to consider.....
I am stuck...... 1 week to go before my trip.....