Help and Advise needed - PnS or Mirrorless

Since the Sony RX100 is too expensive and the Panasonic LX7 is too close the price to the NX1000.
Actually now I have a cheaper option.... the Olympus XZ-10 - is now $358 with 1 extra Batt, 8 GB Air flash card and $50 Shopping voucher.

XZ-10 small, compact, fast lens (1.8) what do you all think?

Anyone try the XZ-10? Most of the reviews are talking good abt this camera.

ctm1968 said:
Since the Sony RX100 is too expensive and the Panasonic LX7 is too close the price to the NX1000.
Actually now I have a cheaper option.... the Olympus XZ-10 - is now $358 with 1 extra Batt, 8 GB Air flash card and $50 Shopping voucher.

Street price of canon S110 quite close that too. Small enough to put in pocket.

Something like the XZ-10 or S110/120 is good. Not too expensive, convenient and much better than handphones.

My back up camera now is the QX100. If you practice abit you can carry on shooting in places where shooting is not allowed.
Same sensor as RX100/RX10 but only $640
DSC-QX100-prodbeauty-black-1240x840-2b8d97ce2488e88fa379d6808cc47411.jpg

Last edited:
...or upgrade your phone to a Z1 or Nokia 1020. Use these excellent phone camera as your backup camera. See the review for both the Sony Z1 and Nokia 1020... fabulous phones with excellent camera that match and in many instances better the PnS camera - except for the bigger 1 inch and above sensor camera.

I guess the size of the back up is not an issue to me, in fact most of my short listed camera are already small. The top priorites for me is lower cost and good picture quality. I also worry that if I get a not so high end PnS, it will become a white elephant after my trip. That's why when I discover the NX1000 promo ($599 with 2 lens + 1 extra batt and etc....) I am thinking it may become my main camera for few months to 1 year while I am moving to FX body. The main draw for the NX1000 to me is the APS-C censor and the freebie. For that price is very hard not to consider..... I am stuck...... 1 week to go before my trip.....

Actually sometimes too much info confuses.

U started with 3 choices and then mentioned the NX1000 a few times so it's kinda clear where your heart is going.

Just go with your heart and whack the Samsung so long as u have tried it and satisfied with it.

Everyone will have his or her choice cameras to recommend, but u r the 1 using it end of the day and it's kinda like u actually do have an idea what u r looking for and not lost. :)

For someone who keeps looking for the perfect product on a budget(me included) it will always be a struggle. Its hard to stay satisfied when u know what is out there haha. So just buy the one u like the most now.

Actually sometimes too much info confuses.

U started with 3 choices and then mentioned the NX1000 a few times so it's kinda clear where your heart is going.

Just go with your heart and whack the Samsung so long as u have tried it and satisfied with it.

Everyone will have his or her choice cameras to recommend, but u r the 1 using it end of the day and it's kinda like u actually do have an idea what u r looking for and not lost. :)

I totally agreed!! Go with my heart :) I think I know what to do now :) Thanks!!

For someone who keeps looking for the perfect product on a budget(me included) it will always be a struggle. Its hard to stay satisfied when u know what is out there haha. So just buy the one u like the most now.

I totally agreed!! For NOW.....I know which one liao :)

Buy a Nikon DF.

He wanted to buy full frame yet small mah. So df can meet both objectives. Price, quality, size all good.

He wanted to buy full frame yet small mah. So df can meet both objectives. Price, quality, size all good.

But mirrorless. So A7.

Mirrorless doesn't mean anything if it is not a true feature but just a type of camera.

Getting a df, he may just need 1 body and 1 set of lenses. The D5100 can then be a spare body for shots that require long zoom (cropped sensor).

In any case he's going to buy a full frame. Why not something small and light at a reasonable price yet harness the quality of a D4 sensor? Do check out the prices at Technogadgets. (I'm not affiliated to them in any way)

Last edited:
In any case he's going to buy a full frame. Why not something small and light at a reasonable price yet harness the quality of a D4 sensor? Do check out the prices at Technogadgets. (I'm not affiliated to them in any way)

A7(r) is smaller, lighter, cheaper, and has a much better sensor for most practical use (who takes pictures at insanely high ISO anyway)

Problem is not much native FF lenses. But the current ones plus those coming early next year would suffice as a system.

Mirrorless doesn't mean anything if it is not a true feature but just a type of camera.

Getting a df, he may just need 1 body and 1 set of lenses. The D5100 can then be a spare body for shots that require long zoom (cropped sensor).

So... TS wants a second camera but small and lightweight as a backup... And you're recommending a huge camera?

Not sure if you truly understand what TS wants or is just a diehard Nikon fanboy

So... TS wants a second camera but small and lightweight as a backup... And you're recommending a huge camera?

Not sure if you truly understand what TS wants or is just a diehard Nikon fanboy

Ha ha, we also have to exercise caveat emptor for free advice.

... I wanted to suggest Lumix GX1. Not most current though.