Help! AF points not working!

mattemp07

Jul 8, 2010
I've recently bought a 5D classic from a seller and when I started shooting, I realised my AF points are not working! only 4 points are working, the other 5 are not... Camera tried with 24-70mm lens and 70-200mm L.

Does anyone know what problem this is? and if i send to svc, how much would that cost? Please advise!

the 4 points changes? or is the same 4 points no matter where u aim the subject?

the same 4 points are working. when i tried to focus on the other 5 points, the camera just couldnt lock on the focus and take a shot.

Is it in the 9 point AF selection ? Try resetting your AF points and see how it goes if not than the cam needs to
see the 'doctor'

When I bought mine I sent it for a general checkup @ CSC cost about $92.00 incl shuttercount,cleaning Csmos sensor.

how do I reset the AF points? How long did canon take for the checkup?

maybe there's a setting to limit the number of AF points in use?

On the "semi-pro" Nikons, you can do such a thing, if you find the 51 AF points (or however many) to be unnecessary for you.

but i require all the AF points... I'm shooting in Manual mode.

What ZCA is saying is that, there is a menu option in Nikon cameras that can let you select how many AF points to use. Maybe you should check if it this is happening in your camera, that it may be a menu setting somewhere.

i've already factory reset my camera and the problem is still there.

manual, meaning manual focus?
If so, why do you require the AF points?

Anyway that's sidetracking.
I'm not sure of the 5D MkI has a menu option to reduce the number of selectable AF points. MAYBE this is the case. MAYBE also that it is defaulted in this way, so when you do factory reset, you still get this problem.

Just hypothesizing here :)
At least you check all the simple things first, otherwise facepalm if you go complaining to CSC and then find out it's just a menu setting :)

You can download all camera manuals from Canon US websites.

hey guys, thanks for the replies! I've just sent to CSC.. they said it could be due to the mirror being fixed wrongly, if that's the case I do not have to pay a cent, otherwise, I will have to pay $180 for servicing excluding the new parts. I suspect the seller changed his 5D mirror before and it was fixed wrongly.. gosh.. The earliest I can collect is on Monday. So it's about 3 working days. Nonetheless, thank you all!

hey guys, thanks for the replies! I've just sent to CSC.. they said it could be due to the mirror being fixed wrongly, if that's the case I do not have to pay a cent, otherwise, I will have to pay $180 for servicing excluding the new parts. I suspect the seller changed his 5D mirror before and it was fixed wrongly.. gosh.. The earliest I can collect is on Monday. So it's about 3 working days. Nonetheless, thank you all!

Well guess CSC is reasonable. When I sent in mine they even fixed the mirror drop problem by adding stoppers by the sides FOC .