Help/advise needed for bringing film overseas

tango15

Oct 23, 2015
West (Singapore)
Hi, Im a avid photographer who recent year picked up film photography and got really hooked. I have heard many mixed feedback about bringing film for overseas trip. Will the X-ray scanner at most airport somehow will damage these films? What is the safest way to carry films overseas? I chanced upon a film shield bag apparently is lead filled that will protect these films when going through x-ray scanner. Any other way? I seek your kind advise. Thank you.

I don't have any special bag or method. I just put them in my hand carry bag and will put it through the airport scanner. So far no problem with the ISO 400 and below film that I use.

The ideal thing to do (dependng on the country you visit) is to find a reputable lab there and have your film processed before you leave, or have them mail the processed film back home to you. I do this all the time in the UK and USA. It saves a lot of headache and worry. I used to bring film back with me and never had a problem with X-ray machines but bear in mind some airports now are using a new type of CT scanner for hand bagagge, which has greater potential to damage unprocessed film.

Hi, Im a avid photographer who recent year picked up film photography and got really hooked. I have heard many mixed feedback about bringing film for overseas trip. Will the X-ray scanner at most airport somehow will damage these films? What is the safest way to carry films overseas? I chanced upon a film shield bag apparently is lead filled that will protect these films when going through x-ray scanner. Any other way? I seek your kind advise. Thank you.

Always ask for hand check, but failing that the x-ray scanner for hand carry items will not harm film if it is under ISO 800. NEVER put film in your checked luggage, as the much stronger machines used to scan it will ruin the film.