Help! Advice Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyD-Man

Dec 7, 2006
Help!

I switched to a digital point-and-shoot camera some 2 years and recently started rekindling my interest in SLRs. So I dug out my 6-yr-old Nikon F60 which I haven’t touched for almost 2years. The battery is still working (at least it's indicated as full), but when I pressed the shutter, it just opened and stayed open. I also checked my 2 lenses (Nikkor AF 280-80mm kit lens and a AF 75-240mm zoom lens) and found some marks inside including weblike fungus.

I have decided to buy a DSLR, but would like check from the experts here what is the best option. Some questions
1) What happenbed to my lens body? Can it and the lenses still be saved? Is it worth it? If not, is there a better way of disposing it than just dumping it out of the rubish chute? Got any 2nd hand market for them?
2) Would it be better (in terms of cost and features) if I just dump my old lens and buy a new kit? If the lenses aren’t going to be useful (e.g. cannot use or use for manual only), I’m considering Canon 350D or D40. If the old lenses can still be of good use, I may buy a D50, D70 (if still available) or D80 instead

I'm looking for an SLR that’s easy to operate, doesn’t need to be too many fanciful (in fact, I use autofocus almost all the time) and good value for money. Based on recent reviews, I take it that D40 is my best bet? Or did I miss any other gems around?

Also hoping to buy a zoom lens to compliment the kit lens. So if I'm buying a D40, any recommendations on what I should get? Cost?

I think yr body got shutter sticky problem and yr lens got fungus/mould, it is a bit old liao and probably not worth repairing. If u got the interest and money, better buy new ones.

if you are buy the D40 or canon camera, you might want to consider the 50mm f1.8 ... it is very calue for money...

if you looking for a zoom like you mentioned, then the 18-200mm is selling like hot cakes and would be a good buy... that is, if you can manage to get your hands on one.

but it most likely will overlap with your kit lens, so can consider just buyign the body.

Would the 50mm autofocus on the D40? I think the D40 can only autofocus on AFS lenses.

No AF function on the 50mm f1.8 or any 50mms for that matter...

Only AF capabilities on the AF-S lenses or HSM ones. There are no focusing motors on the D40.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Agree that my old body and lenses is probably a bit too lao kok kok to be of much use. Can probably serve as a toy for my son who seems to love taking photos also.

Think I'll go for the D40 and will do it sooner rather than later. Don't think I can survive without AF, so will probably have to miss out on the 50mm lens and spend on an AF-S lens if I wanna get something beyond the kit lens. But looking at the price guide on this website and with an overall budget of about $1,200, I really don't have much left to spend after spending $1k on the kit except maybe a filter and polarizer. So will probably have to hold off any additional lenses and flash till later. Unless any friends out there got any good lobang or money saving ideas to share?

Lastly, I bought my old Nikon from a shop (Foto Guide) in Peninsula through my brother's recommendation. That shop has since closed and frankly don't know where I can find a fair deal. Last thing I wanna go is places like Harvey Norman or Courts cos frankly I think these places are for people just see the product before buying elsewhere or to buy on zero interest credit card instalments. So anybody for any place to recommend that won't chop me just because I'm a first time customer? Got any market intelligence of any Nikon sale coming up?

I think I already know the answer from u that u actually would prefer to go to digital. I'm a film user decades ago and my film bodies are still in tip top condition in a dry cabinet.

If u want to go digital, whatever camera use choose, I suggest u get a good storage system as digital are not as sturdy as your film system. I know some shops can actually repair them but unless u really want to go back to film, the money could be better invested in digital.

Hi to all,

I personally think digital is the way to go for the future as there are simply too many advantages (to me) in digital compared to film. So I really can't see myself going back to buying rolls of film.

Thanks for the warning on proper storage. For my old camera, we simply bought an airtight box, poured some silicon and expect the camera to be properly preserved like some Egyptian mummies. Any good storage devices to recommend and price guide? But with a cabinet to buy, it'll really wipe out my budget. Thinking more long term, I think I'll just need a smallish cabinet for 1 body (don't intend to keep more than 1, unless my old F60 can be repaired at cheap price) plus maybe 2-3 lenses and a flash.

Ortega, the lens you suggested looks impressive, but I can't find it on the price guide. How much does it cost in Singapore? Will put it on my wish list and submit appliication (betting) slip to Singapore Pools to apply for sponsor or maybe look for 2nd hand one.

Will probably go to MS Colour in AMK (near my place) and then to Peninsula this weekend to take a look.

Thanks for the advices so far. More are definitely most welcome.

Hi to all,

I personally think digital is the way to go for the future as there are simply too many advantages (to me) in digital compared to film. So I really can't see myself going back to buying rolls of film.

Thanks for the warning on proper storage. For my old camera, we simply bought an airtight box, poured some silicon and expect the camera to be properly preserved like some Egyptian mummies. Any good storage devices to recommend and price guide? But with a cabinet to buy, it'll really wipe out my budget. Thinking more long term, I think I'll just need a smallish cabinet for 1 body (don't intend to keep more than 1, unless my old F60 can be repaired at cheap price) plus maybe 2-3 lenses and a flash.

Ortega, the lens you suggested looks impressive, but I can't find it on the price guide. How much does it cost in Singapore? Will put it on my wish list and submit appliication (betting) slip to Singapore Pools to apply for sponsor or maybe look for 2nd hand one.

Will probably go to MS Colour in AMK (near my place) and then to Peninsula this weekend to take a look.

Thanks for the advices so far. More are definitely most welcome.

Go for a dry cabinet. You'd do well with it.

As for the 70-300VR, it's about 900+ at the moment (shld be under $1k mark)

Hi again,

I went to Nikon website and did the sums based on my long term plan for a DSLR with kit lens and a 70-300mm zoom lens. Not likely I'll go for a fish eye or other lenses, but who knows. Below are some of the zoom lens that I found:

#1 AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED ($999)
#2 AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G ($300)
#3 AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED ($745)

So if I buy a D40 ($1088), I can only match it with #1. Total cost $2087. But if I buy a D50 ($1488), I can match it with either #2. Total cost $1788. Based on this, I should buy a D50? Am I making sense or did I miss out other considerations? Also, what's the difference between #2 and #3?

In order to have a fair apple to apple comparison, all prices stated are based nikon list price.
$1k not a small sum, would like to be really sure before spending the money.

Hi again,

I went to Nikon website and did the sums based on my long term plan for a DSLR with kit lens and a 70-300mm zoom lens. Not likely I'll go for a fish eye or other lenses, but who knows. Below are some of the zoom lens that I found:

So if I buy a D40 ($1088), I can only match it with #1. Total cost $2087. But if I buy a D50 ($1488), I can match it with either #2. Total cost $1788. Based on this, I should buy a D50? Am I making sense or did I miss out other considerations? Also, what's the difference between #2 and #3?

In order to have a fair apple to apple comparison, all prices stated are based nikon list price.
#3 have ED lens which is said to improve optical quality...
but do note that if you take #1, you get VR and AFS... if you take #2 or 3 you will miss out this 2..

Hi again,

Ok...

let's just talk about the lenses here.

#2 and #3 differs with the ED elements and this is supposed to give you a much better picture quality. Frankly, I've only used the #2 piece, so I can't give you much comparision info on it.

#1 is the lastest version complete with AF-S and ED and VR. Thus the higher pricing.

Having a D50 would be better IMO if you're gonna be upgrading lenses along the way. The D40 is designed for those who want a better cam than a PnS and would probably be using the kit lens only.

OIC, so the logic is like the following

#2 = 70-300 AF lens = $300
#3 = #2+ED = Additional $445
#1 = #3+"-S"+VR = Additional $254

Bloody tau tia! :confused: Don't fell like spending $1,488 on a kit, but also don't feel like spending $999 on a lens! This one I suppose views are subjective and nobody can help me decide. Must just close my eyes and go.:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.