Help/Advice Needed: Black Lines on Photos

kseddychua

Sep 10, 2018
Hi, I've been shooting leisurely for quite a few years but recently got into this problem.

discere.jpg

stadium.jpg

insideunclehenry.jpg

If you look carefully, you'll realised that there are very obvious black lines in every photo above. Anyone has any idea what I should do to get rid of them?

Vertical lines? Like smudges?

Hi, I've been shooting leisurely for quite a few years but recently got into this problem.

If you look carefully, you'll realised that there are very obvious black lines in every photo above. Anyone has any idea what I should do to get rid of them?

What you are seeing is essentially noise which is inherent in the electronics of the image sensor and camera.This noise is more obvious in low light scenes.
Image sensor and motherboard has aged same like people grow old with it's attendant "faults". If it can be serviced by readjusting the gain of the amplifiers
so much the better.Of course the easiest way is to change the main camera motherboard inclusive of image sensor if it's cost effective.If it was me, I would rather
get a new camera without worrying if the problem will come back again and a few years is a long time in camera technology.

Link below give more details of the noise phenomena:

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/92200/vertical-lines-in-low-light

Taken together, both types of noise are most easily seen when a weak light source is amplified by a high ISO setting.
The difference is that read noise usually stays in the same location from one shot to the next, while shot noise will
appear randomly in various locations from frame to frame.

One way to avoid read noise is to shoot the scene with a brighter setting (more light, longer shutter time, etc.) and
then reduce the brightness in post processing. This is very easy to do shooting still images in raw format.
It's a little tougher with most cameras when shooting video unless your camera can output raw video.