HELP! aah i need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

pink.Kiki

Aug 6, 2004
Hi everyone, i hope someone can give me some advice as i'm at lost at what i should do. here is the situation:
i've just bought a camera off the buy and sells here @ club snap. one of the deciding factors for purchasing the camera at its price was the given age of the camera (supposedly 4months old only). when i inquired about the warrantly (supposedly 8months left) i was told it was all done online now. so i've called sony with the serial number of the camera and indeed there is a warranty but to transfer it to my name and to find out how many months really are left i'll need a written consent from the previous owner. i know this is probably my mistake, when he could not give me the original purchase receipt that should have been suspicious enough. but now i've been calling the guy everyday and he's been hanging up on my calls or turning his phone off ( :( ). either i've been ripped off or the camera was stolen, any advice on what i should do? is there any legal action i can take?

stop worrying about the warranty and start using the camera lor,wouldn't that makes u a happier person ?

ya lor, wats to worry? unless the camera is giving u problems now. if not, just start shooting and by the time any problem crop up, the warrenty would be over.

If you don't drop i think you can use the camera for years! It's not like handphone warrently, where you need it as maybe you want to upgrade and it is easily dropped...don't worry!! Take good care of your camera will do!

Yep...
Just start using your camera can already...
An equipment usually spoils after the warranty period, not before...

sounds like a case of misrepresentation here. Did he specifically say that the warranty period left was 8 months? If so, you have a case. If not, the case would be weak.It's worse if the camera's stolen: you'll probably have to return it.

May be our friend here is having a problem with his newly purchased camera, or else he would not pursue the warantee the way he is. Sorry I cannot help. But if your camera is functioning well, I wouldn't worry much about the warantee. I have been purchasing photographic equipment for many years and so far (touch wood) I never use the warantee cards.

kex said:
stop worrying about the warranty and start using the camera lor,wouldn't that makes u a happier person ?

im trying, i'm trying to be happy! the camera was bought only $130 less than if it were it brand new bought at a store. so if the camera really is more that just 4months old i really did get ripped off. *I* WOULD be happier if i got it for a cheaper price so i had money left over for more memory or extra batteries! i've only had it for about a week and so far it's ok. but i just thinnk that since this person stated on the advert that the warranty has 8months left- that is what i should get, no? i remember when posting something in buy n sell i had to agree to something from clubsnap that basically said that the descriptions must match the product. i was suspicious when he did not have a warranty card, but i trusted the reason that it's all automated solely because of the clause in the buy and sell forum.

isn't it so???
tell me it's so??????????!!!!!

this will not be my last camera, thus i was purchasing it with reselling in mind. knowing the age is important because i am an honest person and would like to let the next owner know its full history.

thanks for all ur replies (and scolding haha)!
and i'm not a HE (referring to last post)

i guess u can request to check the online warranty status from the guy in sony? they should be kind to let u know how many mths remianing. if the sony pdt is registered online already, and if anything goes wrong, as long its within the warranty period, they should honour the repair for FOC. so far they nv ask for receipt from me when my pda is spoil. just tell them ur cam is a gift. no receipt. hehe...

i am not sure if this is recommended, but u might wanna state who u bought from to let people be aware of. but this might lead to consequences too. well. good luck.

regards,

Well here's my advise. You get all kind of people in but & sell. You have teh choice of not proceeding with the sale when you meet up with him and he could not provide proof of what he claimed. But you did. So you were mislead into thinking that the camera's warranty has 8 months to go. I don't think that there is any legal avenue that you could use to pursue this matter. You did hand him the money and he dis hand you the camera. So deal is made. Besides the legal cost is not worth it not to mention your time and effort. So my advise is take it with a pinch of salt and start enjoying your new toy.

anyway, what model did u buy? as what the guys said, no problems with the cam, dont worry so much. :)

pink.Kiki said:
since this person stated on the advert that the warranty has 8months left- that is what i should get, no?

Yes, that's what you should get - 8 mths warranty left.

From your descriptions, you have a case of misrepresentation.

Misrepresentation is under contract law. The warranty period was a statement which was principle in this contract (buy-sell), and from what you have said, this statement has been falsely expressed to you, leading you into this contract.

Misrepresentation could render the contract ineffective (revoked the contract) or you could seek damages. I would think that it is better to settle the case out of court, but it seems like he is avoiding you, so you might want to go to the extreme of taking him to court. (If he reads this, then probably he would want to talk to you about this matter)

I have a few lawyer friends if you need help.

Firstly if it's a verbal contract or agreement then it's your words against his. Was there any black and white to what he has claimed. Otherwise it would be an uphill task.

jbma said:
Well here's my advise. You get all kind of people in but & sell. You have teh choice of not proceeding with the sale when you meet up with him and he could not provide proof of what he claimed. But you did. So you were mislead into thinking that the camera's warranty has 8 months to go. I don't think that there is any legal avenue that you could use to pursue this matter. You did hand him the money and he dis hand you the camera. So deal is made. Besides the legal cost is not worth it not to mention your time and effort. So my advise is take it with a pinch of salt and start enjoying your new toy.

Not true. There are legal avenues to seek, just that most Singaporeans don't know, don't care or think that they are too bothersome.

I give you an example. You buy one big box of stuff which the seller claim contain expensive microchips that can fetch a high resale value and you paid $10k for it. But they turn out to be normal capacitors, worth less than $100. You willing buyer, he willing seller, you did hand him the money and he did hand you the box of "microchips", so deal is made? No, it's fraudulent misrepresentation.

Well ,now u could only hope that camera was in good hands before u brought it over.try not to think too much about it, if theres a problem with it , i think sony should be able to repair it for free, try to ask their customer department for help, pretend that u lost yr receipt.

best of luck...

Yildun said:
Yes, that's what you should get - 8 mths warranty left.

From your descriptions, you have a case of misrepresentation.

Misrepresentation is under contract law. The warranty period was a statement which was principle in this contract (buy-sell), and from what you have said, this statement has been falsely expressed to you, leading you into this contract.

Misrepresentation could render the contract ineffective (revoked the contract) or you could seek damages. I would think that it is better to settle the case out of court, but it seems like he is avoiding you, so you might want to go to the extreme of taking him to court. (If he reads this, then probably he would want to talk to you about this matter)

I have a few lawyer friends if you need help.

first of all, i'd like to clarify that the warranty status is still unconfirmed. it is the fact that he is not responding to my calls, and turning off his phone when i use a number that he knew from our meeting, and he hung up on me the first time i called and actually got ahold of him. i have txt messaged him as well and still no replies.
that being said this is the post that i responded to;
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=87491
it clearly states the warranty period and his name and phone number. thus i felt very safe. if he did lie abt the warranty, or if the camera is stolen he is violating the priviledges of a very well established community. what is the point of the clubsnap guidlines if no1 is goin to honour them? this partially has to do with following up on what's right.
so now what? i've reallyl been calling everyday, i will harass the moderators as well to see what they can do with their authorities

Basically the cam is in good condition right?

Thus, u cannot "sell" back the cam to him, since he sold u a good product.
And if the cam does not spoil within the next 8 months, then the more U can't "sell" it back. Meaning in this case, u cannot void the contract.

But what u can do is since u got his phone number, & if the cam spoils within the 8 months, then u can make a police report.

There are many crook around in this world, there are many people fall prey of such scam everyday. I am not saying this is a scam. We must be very careful to protect ourself.

1. The lucky thing is that, the unit is still working, as long as it doesn't breakdown in next 8 months, you still get a bargain.
2. You are assumbing the warranty is shorter than 8 months, which might not be true. When the seller said it has 8 months warranty left, you are assumbing it is 4 months old. For Sony online registeration, you get 3 more months warranty, therefore the cam is atleast 7 months old instead of 4.
3. As long as the cam is still under warranty, they guarranty the cam not the owner.
4. You should reject the transaction when he can not produce prove of warranty, when on-line registration, there is a printout for save keeping.

Just tell you a story that happened to me: I bought a second hand 1G Microdrive 1.5 years ago at very low price. 6 months ago, it was damaged and I thrown it away, later pick up again, wanted to open it but can't find the right tool, one day my IBM supplier came by my office and I passed to him to see whether can anything be done to it. To my surprise, I was later told that it is still under warranty until Jan 05, since they can't repair it, they gave me a whole new unit in brand new package which includes the PCMCIA adaptor and manual.

All is not lost until it is proven, it might not be that bad afterall.

Cheers

Hi.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that your ordeal (based on your side of the story).

Let's take this as a lesson learnt (isn't this what life is all about) lor; if the seller really refuse to sort things out with you (perhaps you need to wait for a little while longer?) then be it; at least you get to see someone's character clearer ... at least that's how I rationalise whenever I kena chop by others ...

As mentioned in the B&S guidelines, Caveat Emptor - Let the Buyer Beware.

I sincerely hope you'll have a better experience the next time.

Please note that whatever I've just shared does not represent the official stand of ClubSNAP.

Time to go out to take some good photos! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.