Help a photography enthusiast decide on her first DSLR

annapurna

Aug 27, 2011
Hey guys! I am a student and I love photography, I want to now buy a DSLR camera. I have only worked with point and shoot cameras so far.However since I have never worked with a DSLR I am unsure if I will be make full utilization of all the features as all the complications of a DSLR intimidate me. Which camera would you suggest I should buy? And also do you guys think I should buy a second hand one in the beginning in order to get used to it or just go for a simple one like Canon Rebel T3 1100D?
Thankyou!

Everything starts from a budget.

How about budget? It would be easier for us to recommend. My suggestion would be go to "level 2" entry level dslr such as 600D. No hurry to learn all the features and you can start off with modes similar to your pns camera first before moving to other modes which require more manual controls.

Other factors would include whether you feel comfy holding the camera. Some models are heavier and uncomfortable to some.

Buying second hand is good but there's always a concern if you know how to check if the 2nd hand is in good condition also.

Not forgetting that there are also other brands like Sony, Pentax, Nikon etc that you can look into too.

Hi annapurna, first of all welcome to ClubSNAP.

I've moved your thread to Newbies Corner as it is more suitable there. Btw you can also rent the camera and lens to try out first before buying, to make sure you indeed like the DSLR before moving over.

Cheers.

Not more than 650$
Any suggestion?

If u have a friend(or friend of friends) who owns 1100d/600d/60d or even other cameras, maybe u can treat them to a cup of coffee and ask them to let you fiddle with their dslr for an hour or so. Also Ask them the pros and cons of their cameras. Then come up with your own conclusion

What would level 2 be? Like as in budget wise? I was thinking not more than 700$. I don't mind taking time to learn actually.

What would level 2 be? Like as in budget wise? I was thinking not more than 700$. I don't mind taking time to learn actually.

First of all... please read our stickies, they have detail information on how to choose a DSLR. The next thing that you need to do is to think hard on what you actually wanted in your DSLR. It is pretty simple actually, since you have worked with PnS before, what do you like most in your PnS and hope that the features could be found in your DSLR too... and what type of photography do you like most.

Only after you have worked out those features would you clearly see what DSLR suits you better. Please don't just looked at Canon... look to other brands and formats too... don't forget SLT and mirrorless options. these are smaller and lighter as compared to the actual DSLR and image quality are superd too.

The last step was for you to shortlist a number of DSLR, then go down to the shops and test them out... get only the ones that you feel most comfortable with.

Not more than 650$
Any suggestion?

Based on your budget? A brand new Sony A290, or a second hand A550.

However, there is a "What DSLR to get?" sticky right here that you should really read through, because your question has been asked about 1000 times already and it's always the same answer... "it's a camera for you, your money, your decision is different from ours"

Go to the shops and the Canon showroom at Vivo City to try different models out. Don't feel pressured by the salesman to buy anything.

For your budget in the Canon camp, you can probably hunt for a used 550D. It was voted the best entry level DSLR of its time and it shares good quality components with higher end models (e.g. Same sensor as 60D and 7D). Bring along an experienced friend to check on the condition.

rhema83 said:
Go to the shops and the Canon showroom at Vivo City to try different models out. Don't feel pressured by the salesman to buy anything.

For your budget in the Canon camp, you can probably hunt for a used 550D. It was voted the best entry level DSLR of its time and it shares good quality components with higher end models (e.g. Same sensor as 60D and 7D). Bring along an experienced friend to check on the condition.

So far I'd nvr been approach by any staff when I play play at the canon show room. So dun worry. Of cos, u can approach them if u need any help.

I personally feel that they are there to showcase and advertise, not to make sales.

rhema83 said:

Showrooms being showrooms don't sell cameras. At least that's what I experienced from the Nikon showroom

spree86 said:
Showrooms being showrooms don't sell cameras. At least that's what I experienced from the Nikon showroom

U can buy get chop if you want :p
It's SRP that they will be selling. But that, of cos, is not the reason for the showroom.

Cowseye said:
U can buy get chop if you want :p
It's SRP that they will be selling. But that, of cos, is not the reason for the showroom.

I asked the Nikon guy if they actually sell the goods there. He said no, the lenses and bodies are solely for testing, still need to go Nikon authorized dealer to get. Want to get chop there also cannot:bsmilie:

annapurna said:
Hey guys! I am a student and I love photography, I want to now buy a DSLR camera. I have only worked with point and shoot cameras so far.However since I have never worked with a DSLR I am unsure if I will be make full utilization of all the features as all the complications of a DSLR intimidate me. Which camera would you suggest I should buy? And also do you guys think I should buy a second hand one in the beginning in order to get used to it or just go for a simple one like Canon Rebel T3 1100D?
Thankyou!

Will ur interest persist? Or its like (chinese saying) '3 minute passion'. U hafta re think this question. Many times, many just jump into the wagon band, 'buy a dslr, justt for sake of buying', due to the marketing and advertising. And regret later, when they find it big and bulky to carry it around, ... And/or the interest dies a natural death.... Blah blah.....
Bottomline, it is unlike another hobbyy...... Not cheap....

Will ur interest persist? Or its like (chinese saying) '3 minute passion'. U hafta re think this question. Many times, many just jump into the wagon band, 'buy a dslr, justt for sake of buying', due to the marketing and advertising. And regret later, when they find it big and bulky to carry it around, ... And/or the interest dies a natural death.... Blah blah.....
Bottomline, it is unlike another hobbyy...... Not cheap....

Ya Agreed...Do really ask yourself again is that really your interest... if not you will be spending your money buying a camera that end up only in your cabinet most of the time...

Not more than 650$
Any suggestion?

$650 won't get you a DSLR unless you search for a second hand model.

Pentax is a good brand if you are on a budget.

Of course, do check out what other brands have to offer. Visit camera stores and physically try as many cameras from as many brands as you can.