Help a New D70 Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureBull

Apr 13, 2003
Visit site
Just got a d70, and was wondering what else i have to do, coz this is my first DSLR.

from reading the threads in the forum, the D70 exposure should be pushed up by +0.3 - 0.7. Also gotta buy a 67mm UV filter for the lens :)

Is there anything else i would need to purchase to get the most out of my camera ?

And what is this custom curves thing for ?

thanks in advance for your help

I find D70 images to be underexposed. Friend of mine sent me David's Midtone Boost Custom curve settings. Have not test it out yet, but its good for beginners like us. If you want, can PM me. :)

PureBull said:
Just got a d70, and was wondering what else i have to do, coz this is my first DSLR.

from reading the threads in the forum, the D70 exposure should be pushed up by +0.3 - 0.7. Also gotta buy a 67mm UV filter for the lens :)

Is there anything else i would need to purchase to get the most out of my camera ?

And what is this custom curves thing for ?

thanks in advance for your help

I have a D70 too.....the exposure I tend to compensate at -0.5 to -0.7.....especially at matrix metering.....spot meter is all right....

UV filter is a must for the kit lens......got my HOYA HMC at about 30 bucks...

You may consider getting a bigger CF card and also a flash....SB600 or SB800.....I got the SB600 a couple of days ago and am enjoying every minute of it..... still experimenting with bounce flash and the CLS setups....

Custom curves comes with Nikon Capture 4.01 which must be bought seperately at about 180 bucks.....It is to adjust the different brightness and tonal ranges and save it as a custom setting so you dont have to do so much compensation for exposure and such....

BTW....what other lenses you have besides the kit lens.....?

Oh, i thought Nikon Capture came with the D70, turns out its the Picture project ?
nuts.

I only have the kit lens so far, and i don't think i'll get any more until a later time, but i do have my eye on the sigma 70-300.

CF Cards i actually have 2 256mb, and 1 128mb, Might consider selling all of these small ones away and getting a 512mb

The mid tone boost must be saved into the cam to be used, or can u use it in photoshop as well?

Sigh... it's not underexposed... aiya I give up... :(

ESPN : What do u mean ? or do u have a thread i can read re: this topic.

its loaded into the camera via Nikon Capture.....so you need to get the software first.....

You should also consider getting a 80-200 or similar lens to cover the higher range..... :)

This guy fotogenetic spent a long time experimenting and improving his custom curves and I have found them to be very useful. I have the WW3.5 loaded on my camera and use it by default. Since I use NEF all the time, I can then choose between WW3.5 and "normal" +EV (anywhere between 1/3 to 1) later on in NC4.1

espn said:

Hehe... aiya, looks dark mah... Ok, I better go read some threads to find out what is the real answer. :D

Histograms can be misleading at times...IMO.....cause sometimes the picture is exactly the way you want exposed....but going by the histograms...its all wrong.....cause the histogram offer a more general view....

Is it possible to instead use the custom curves during post processing in photoshop etc, instead of loading it into the camera? I don't wish to pay $180 for that software :/

jumbocrab said:
This guy fotogenetic spent a long time experimenting and improving his custom curves and I have found them to be very useful. I have the WW3.5 loaded on my camera and use it by default. Since I use NEF all the time, I can then choose between WW3.5 and "normal" +EV (anywhere between 1/3 to 1) later on in NC4.1

Sorry .. how do you load the custom curves into the camera?

hlminolta said:
Sorry .. how do you load the custom curves into the camera?

With Nikon Capture 4.1 Camera Control. D70 must be hooked up to your computer. After that, you have to set the camera to use it.

espn said:

patience.... jedi master.... if u give up now, their training will not be complete. :p young jedi knights need to know why its not call underexpose.

show them the way.

keep them at bay

so they dun sway

encourage their crave (for expensive lenses! ;) )

thats what the masters say

nightpiper said:
patience.... jedi master.... if u give up now, their training will not be complete. :p young jedi knights need to know why its not call underexpose.
:devil: He is no jedi master! He... he is a.... Sith lord... Darth Bah Zang to be exact! Run! Flee! His "Buy! Buy! Buy!" attack is very deadly to your wallet! :sweat:

Back to this topic: It is not under expose.

PureBull said:
Is it possible to instead use the custom curves during post processing in photoshop etc, instead of loading it into the camera? I don't wish to pay $180 for that software :/

Actually, there is a way of loading into the camera. Just use the 30-day trial version of the software to load. The curve remains in the camera even after the software in the computer expires.

Watcher said:
:devil: He is no jedi master! He... he is a.... Sith lord... Darth Bah Zang to be exact! Run! Flee! His "Buy! Buy! Buy!" attack is very deadly to your wallet! :sweat:

Back to this topic: It is not under expose.

Watcher :kok: Never.. ever ... mention the Bah Zhang, the mere mention of it shall bring wrath upon thy billingham bag :devil:

For those who wanna try custom curves, let me know, I can bring my laptop down one day (maybe friday) and upload for you folks into your camera.

And oh yeah, it's free service. Just buy more lenses can liao :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.