Help!!. 55-250mm Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercy81

Nov 4, 2008
Help, newbie here,
Currenly my plan is to trade in the 18-55 kit lens which come with eos1000D to the 55-250mm IS lens so that i can have a better zoom.

However, some friends commented that it might be difficult to take close potraits, as the minimum distance is 55mm.

I would love to have the 55-250mm as i go travelling often and would like to take close potraits and scenery. Is it true that this lens cannot take portrait if i am standing too near?

Hope some one can clarify my doubts.

depends on camera...for example some crop camera being x1.6 means the 18-55 is actually 28-88.

so take note.

Yes, It is true. Portrait shots will be difficult at 55mm. I would suggest you keep your 18-55mm lens. With both 18-55mm and 55-250, you should be able to take plenty of good shots. From wide to zoom.

Last edited:
55-250 is EFS, so he has to be using 1.6 crop right?

Anyway, your widest focal length will effectively be 88mm (FF equiv). If you're a wildlife photographer I can agree to that, but you're not. Stick with the 18-55IS, save up, and buy the 55-250IS if you want it.

Currenly my plan is to trade in the 18-55 kit lens which come with eos1000D to the 55-250mm IS lens so that i can have a better zoom.

the 55-250 is not better than the 18-55.

they are different.

would strongly suggest u go try out the 18-55 first.

make your decision base on actual field experience.

keep shooting.

If you are taking portrait or close up portrait, 55-250 isnt really long even on crop sensor. 55-100mm region is pretty decent for portrait. But taking scenery, well they look better wide most of the time. Then again thats my preference.

Help, newbie here,

However, some friends commented that it might be difficult to take close potraits, as the minimum distance is 55mm.

I would love to have the 55-250mm as i go travelling often and would like to take close potraits and scenery. Is it true that this lens cannot take portrait if i am standing too near?

Hope some one can clarify my doubts.

You will still need your 18-55 IS Kit sometime during travel so why trade it away.
I feel that is better to buy a second hand 55-250 IS from "Buy and Sell" to complete the range....Hope this help...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.