Help!! 18% Gray Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfcj01

Nov 1, 2008
Hello all, I seriously need some pros here to enlighten me about this thing known as the 18% Grey Card. I have search all over the place for a 18% grey card and I can't seem to find any. However, CP is selling the Spyder Cube and the ExpoDisc slapped with a pretty high price tag. How do you actually use the cube? Do we measure the WB using the "PRE" WB function for the cube? Hope my question seems clear. thanks

You can replace the 18% card with the grass under the lighting condition during photoshoot. To learn how to set a white balance preset in your camera, read the manual.

my two cents.

Hello all, I seriously need some pros here to enlighten me about this thing known as the 18% Grey Card. I have search all over the place for a 18% grey card and I can't seem to find any. However, CP is selling the Spyder Cube and the ExpoDisc slapped with a pretty high price tag. How do you actually use the cube? Do we measure the WB using the "PRE" WB function for the cube? Hope my question seems clear. thanks

Take the picture (one dummy picture for reference only, not all )with the Spyder cube, and later you can set the grey point in the white balance control tab in the software. Capture NX has this feature, not sure about the lightroom and CS. Doing this will allow you to have a proper color balance.

18% gray card is for you to set your mid tone, go read this....
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-metering.htm

still not sure, search google for answer ...

you can use the 18% Gray Card to set your custom WB, and also take exposure reading.

to get a 18% Gray Card, you can try Oriental Photos @SLS.

you also can buy this Collapsible Gray Card from PQ23

You can replace the 18% card with the grass under the lighting condition during photoshoot. To learn how to set a white balance preset in your camera, read the manual.

my two cents.

use the grass? i haven heard tat before, isnt grass green? mind elaborating?
cheers! :)

Hi,

1.The tagotech card is of good size and decent value. Also hardier compared to paper/ cardboard ones. There are small/ tiny plastic ones available but the smaller the card, the greater the inaccuracy due to human error (ie the small card is not exposed to the same lighting condition as the main subject, being shadowed out inadvertently being the commonest problem with small card use.)

2. The expodisc utilises a slightly different methodology than grey carding. I personally find the expodisc 90-95% accurate and great when shooting jpegs at inddor dinners/ events etc where there is considerable mixed lighting. Under more controlled situations and where i intend to pp seriously, i find a grey card more accurate, but this is subjective.

Squall

Catchlights recommended "Collapsible Gray Card", this is a good one. I got this from the same shop for $40. Now they are selling $35 :bigeyes:, should be less than $40 including mailing cost. I think this is cheaper than the spyder cube.
Still think this is expensive, then go print one with photoshop :

R 162, G 161, B 159
C 39% M 31% Y 33% K 19%

go experiment it, It wouldn't cost you much

kutten is referring to use green grass as exposure reference for color digital photography, since it is around mid tone. not setting WB with green grass.

However, for digital infrared photography, it is recommend to use green grass as WB reference.

what you are trying to capture is 18% tone, not necessarily grey, but that is the standard that the industry is using I guess.

wow thanks for all the replies. I probably gonna try one of the methods and alos try to make my own expodisc to save me the cost of a 100 odd

Status
Not open for further replies.