Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slongz

Jun 23, 2008
West - CCK
Hello everyone!

I just started photography recently. And yeah, just got my canon eos 350D. Can't afford that much yet. But i've got a question to ask.

When we're in dark places, as in when lightings aren't that good. The shutter speed will go for about 1second or maybe longer then that. And the problem is that i can't hold on STILL for too long. So the image will turn out shakey and yeah. I don't think it's very appealing.

I've tried putting the ISO higher, at least it's getting better. Any other tips? :)
Aperture? O.O

Thanks everyone! And please guide this noob here :D

Cheers ;)

Invest in a tripod, seriously.

and Hello to you too!

Lol trueee. But what if the the level of activity is high? Don't think putting a tripod there will be very nice lolol.

Don't really go 'dark places' without a tripod. you never know there is anyone hiding behind any dark corners so bringing a tripod helps alot.. lol

Don't really go 'dark places' without a tripod. you never know there is anyone hiding behind any dark corners so bringing a tripod helps alot.. lol

Very good reason :bsmilie:

Lol LOL. But "Dark places" not really very dark ah. Just around maybe, 7pm 8pm at night. Ahhhhh LOL.
And tripod is so hard to cary around ;(

well, i've a method that u can employ: it wun beat having a tripod but it'll reduce camera shake by quite a bit at the very least.

preapre a baseplate attached with a string of appropriate length (roughly from the bottom of ur camera when held up to the face all the way to the ground); the other end of the string being attached to a weight which u can comfortably step on (and not destroy it in the process of cos). having the string being sufficiently taut, the tension created should be enuff to provide some form of stability to ur camera body while shooting and along with some proper breathing techniques, it should turn out well. basically, it's like a monopod wannabe/mimic but still miles away. :p

btw, there're several other ways on the net to get this done. here's one of it.

an alternative is to get the string to form a loop to facilitate the stepping process, like this:
string%20tripod.png

my 2cents. :)

Last edited:
really important to invest in a tripod if you are into night photography. surely no one wants that precious moments to go into the recycle bin cause of camera shake.

at 7 to 8pm? A tripod will be a good investment but you will b restricted. But if u say 1 sec n u dont want to get a tripod, u need a good f1.4 lens. Which will be more costly than a tripod. The only method is practice your shots by controlling your breathing. Hold breathe and click gently to avoid camera shake. I do that too. For 1 or 3 sec i succeed. But with many attempt too. Practice more.

What pictures are you taking... landscape, human, objects...???

For non moving subjects a tripod is a must if budget permits. Alternative is to place on something and make sure the cam does not shake.

For moving objects in dark places, only a flash will help if the shutter speed is more than 1/30s. This is generally the speed where you can handhold (more skillful guys/gals can even hanhold at 1/10). However, built in flash is quite sucky if not diffused. External flash has better range and best if bounced or diffused. External flash can be quite costly also.

Depends on shooting needs, solution can vary. Personally, I would get both tripod and flash. They are just equally important.

Im new to this too.....and after seeing all those splendid night shots at the barrage etc...I think Im going for some night practices! LOL

I have a tripod but havent had the chance to use it yet...its still virgin! Wanna organise some night shots or something? :)

first of all, welcome to clubsnap!

your question is till aa bit vague as we have no idea what you enjoy shooting. however, many valid points have been made here so far, and your options are a large aperture lens, a tripod or flash.

A monopod may be of use, depends what your shots are. Takes up little space and offers similar stability to the string-loop method mentioned by Willy Lucifer.
GOOD Tripod and Flash are worthy investments.

Hey everyone! Thanks for the wonderful suggestion!!!

hahaha i shoot people. So the level of activity is high. Can't go around carrying a tripod! I guess i have to control my breathing then.

Yay i'm going T3 later! So excited ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.