Hello world! Newbie has a question on 500D

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayumicha

Aug 5, 2009
Hello there!:heart:

I'm totally new to DSLR and I'v decided to buy a Canon 500D.

There are a few lenses that I am considering right now.

1. kit lens 18-55
2. kit lens 18-200
3. EFS 17-85
4. EF 50mm f1.8 II

I have no idea which one to choose... Well the camera will be mainly used for portraits, sceneries and travel. I'd like to buy one that is not too bulky or heavy bcuz I'm female.

Another question is where to buy it... I'm traveling to HK in October. My friends have been telling me DSLR is cheaper there than in Singapore but do they provide international warranty?

Thank you all in advance for answering my 2 questions (choice of lens and where to buy).

Ayumi:heart:

Oh and I forgot to mention I like small aperture size ^_^

Ayumi

Almost any lens can shoot small apertures

just wonder...small aperture size to u mean F1.4 or F8?
i would suggest to go with kit lens first...u can slowly get more along the way...
did you go and try out the camera with 18-55 and 18-200?
18-200 provide a longer range but is heavier.
do you have a budget as well?
if not wrong, international warranty apply to lens only. hope it helps

Hey thank you all for clearing my doubt.
I just saw a Canon buy back program thread, the price is so lowwwww. But I don't have a canon camera =_____=. wondering what can i do about that... Maybe get a 2nd hand crappy canon camera and sell it to canon center? lol....

josshing: 18-200 is not too heavy for me ^_^, My budget is ard 2k, hopefully lower than 2k. I'd still prefer to buy in Singapore if the price difference is not too big.
cartman: What if I can only buy one?

Last edited:
hi there.

i just bought a 500d last wk.so kinda very new to it and to photography.

i didnt regret buying it. its a matter of time before getting my preferred lens and other stuffs.

have fun! :cool:

1&4 together costs less than 2K.

4 is like... less than $200.
Buy your 500D with kit. and buy 4. that should suffice.
get a tripod too! bring us some pictures back from HK! :)

which shops in SG?
hmmm, do a search, there's plenty.
Cathay Photo at Marina Square.
MS Color at AMK.
John 3:16, Alan Photo (read some reviews first), Orient Photo...

Last edited:
You can buy 1 and 4 for 2k total. If you really can't get two lenses, purchase the body alone with a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8

hi there.

i just bought a 500d last wk.so kinda very new to it and to photography.

i didnt regret buying it. its a matter of time before getting my preferred lens and other stuffs.

have fun! :cool:

wow way to go ancientpegasus! Have fun taking pics;)

What is the difference between 1 and 4?
I only know 4 has good performance in portraits.

If I bought 1 and 4, which one should I take with me when traveling? or should I take both?

and do any of the lenses I listed have wide angle?

sorry if I asked stupid questions... still not familiar with DSLR lenses, but I've been studying from this forum.

The 18-55mm should be wide enough for basic wide angle needs. If you need something wider in the future, get a 10-22mm or other 3rd party ultra-wide angle lenses.

Both lenses (1&4) are extremely light, so just stash them in your camera bag and you're good to go.

The difference is that 4 has a fixed focal length than 1. It cannot zoom, but it can shoot at larger apertures(f1.8, f2.0). However, 1 can zoom but its largest aperture varies from f3.5- f5.6 depending on the focal length. It also has Image stablisation to aid you when shooting at shooting at slower shutter speeds

Last edited:
The 18-55mm should be wide enough for basic wide angle needs. If you need something wider in the future, get a 10-22mm or other 3rd party ultra-wide angle lenses.

Both lenses (1&4) are extremely light, so just stash them in your camera bag and you're good to go.

The difference is that 4 has a fixed focal length than 1. It cannot zoom, but it can shoot at larger apertures(f1.8, f2.0). However, 1 can zoom but its largest aperture varies from f3.5- f5.6 depending on the focal length. It also has Image stablisation to aid you when shooting at shooting at slower shutter speeds

you are fast.:bigeyes: thank you very much Cartman2000! gonna check out prices at stores and hopefully get myself a set before the HK trip. thank you thank you thank you!;)

Let us know what you buy eventually and the amount spent. I'm very interested in the 500D myself.

no worries. i myself got a Kit 2 for trip. and think it's really great. am intending to get a 50 1.8 too...but think should buy things slowly...

Have you tried out the 500D + kit1, to feel the weight?
If you can accept the weight of 18-200, then you may wish to consider a 3rd party lens, Tamron 17-50 F2.8, gives you constant aperture throughout the whole zoom range.

both kit lens, when you zoom, the maximum aperture value will change.

search for tamron 17-50, you will find many good points of it.

For shopping in HK, you may search a thread in consumer corner, about shops there.
Lens are covered internationally, but not camera body.

These two are not in your shortlist, but I would recommend the 17-50 tamron and the 55-250mm IS .

1&4 together costs less than 2K.

4 is like... less than $200.
Buy your 500D with kit. and buy 4. that should suffice.
get a tripod too! bring us some pictures back from HK! :)

which shops in SG?
hmmm, do a search, there's plenty.
Cathay Photo at Marina Square.
MS Color at AMK.
John 3:16, Alan Photo (read some reviews first), Orient Photo...

I would like to add TK foto on Beach Road, I think the gentleman's name was Richard, very friendly guy.

it depends on what you prefer.

all focal lengths can be used for all subjects.

for example, 200mm can be used for landscapes.

wide angle can be used for environmental portraits.. ;p

frankly speaking, i think it is less of what subject, more of what focal length you prefer. do you see more of the world, or less?

I would also agree that 18-55 + 50 is the best route to take right now since you're not sure on exactly what you want.

The 18-55 would be a pretty decent starter lens for you to get used to shooting DSLR first and the 50 is pretty good for portraiture. Best of all, they're cheap so there's no real harm in worrying that you're spending lots for a lens that may end up not being what you want.

night68mare is right. There's no rule stating that you cannot take landscape shots at 200mm or that you cannot take portraits at 10mm. A photo is a photo, taken at whatever focal length. It's what you want that determines if the lenses are what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.