Hello to everyone in clubsnap

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlease

Mar 18, 2009
Bishan
Hi everyone here,

I just join clubsnap yesterday.

I hope to learn more things in photography from you all here. I bought Sony A100 with 18-70mm and 75-300mm almost a year ago.

Recently, I got interest in macro shooting and actually borrowed a 100mm F2.8 Macro lens from my cousin who bought it but seldom used.

I am still not familiar with macro lens usage and I hope to learn from you Alpha Macro lens pro out there.

Things like

- Do I need to set anything on the main body setting?
- Do I use AF or MF on the lens?
- Do I use Full or limit on the lens?
- Do I need a external flash if I go into more pro shooting like insects?

I was playing with it few days ago to capture just a electrical component with AF setting but seems tough to get the clear focus on the object. The lens just keep moving in and out.:(

Hope you all could give me some advice on the macro lens usage:)

Hello...welcome.

1) What mode are you using?
2) For macro, we will normally use the MF mode as the AF in Macro lenses are really painful.
3) Use full limit
4) Not necessarily, I see great pictures from bros who uses the build in flash too. But must diffuse it to make the flash softer.

The DOF on a Macro lens is very, very shallow. Do check the aperture size you're using. Normally we will shoot at f8, f11 or even smaller apertures.

Check out the shots taken by bro Kelvint81. He's using the A200, kit lens with macro adaptor and build in flash only.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482782

Thanks so much Galdor.

My setting on my A100 was Aperture Mode set at the lowest aperture. Will this setting be ok?

When trying I am just about 50m or less from the object. Not sure is it because of this I have hard time trying to get the right focus. Is there any rules of thumbs on the distance i am standing when taking the picture?

Can those tracing paper be use for Diffusing the in-built flash?

A-Mode set to lowest means f2.8 or f22?

The distance will depend on what you want to achieve (eg the whole flower/insect or only certain parts of the flower/insect). Of course the size of your subject matters too.

Tracing paper or tissue paper will be fine but do remember to turn down the power of your flash too.

Do join us in our outings so that we could share more. ;)

WELCOME! =D

READ MORE!
SHOOT MORE!
POST MORE!
(Master Zac Trademark quote.) =X

Cheers!

Hi everyone here,

I just join clubsnap yesterday.

I hope to learn more things in photography from you all here. I bought Sony A100 with 18-70mm and 75-300mm almost a year ago.

Recently, I got interest in macro shooting and actually borrowed a 100mm F2.8 Macro lens from my cousin who bought it but seldom used.

I am still not familiar with macro lens usage and I hope to learn from you Alpha Macro lens pro out there.

Things like

- Do I need to set anything on the main body setting?
- Do I use AF or MF on the lens?
- Do I use Full or limit on the lens?
- Do I need a external flash if I go into more pro shooting like insects?

I was playing with it few days ago to capture just a electrical component with AF setting but seems tough to get the clear focus on the object. The lens just keep moving in and out.:(

Hope you all could give me some advice on the macro lens usage:)

Welcome..

Just set it to aperture priority and try out various aperture settings. Full will allow the full range of the lens focusing capabilities...

And external flash helps greatly. But at a pinch the built in should suffice for emergency cases, just ensure that your hood is not on.

Note that focusing requires contrast. Thus make sure you focus on a contrasty area. You can test this by aiming at different coloured and patterned objects.

Have fun practising first. Then you'll understand your gear better.

Keep SHOOTING. ;)

hi, welcome...

shoot with tripod will be better..
only problem is the mobility issue...
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.