Hello to all! Newbie here *waves* to all!

leoric79

Dec 1, 2010
Hiya to all, a newbie here who wants to learn the art if photography! Currently waiting for a good Xmas promo to grab a deal. So far my collegues have been advising n influencing me on Canon (3 of them r all Canon supporters) but I wan a keep an open mind. Any lobangs or advice from fellow gurus?
Any advice r welcomed! Thanks in advance.

;p

Welcome to CS:)...IMHO it not about brands..i think that it's the person behind the camera..enjoy shooting.

Hi welcome to CS!!
Shoot more, Post more, Ask more and you will Learn more!!:thumbsup:
Happy shooting!!;)

Hiya to all, a newbie here who wants to learn the art if photography! Currently waiting for a good Xmas promo to grab a deal. So far my collegues have been advising n influencing me on Canon (3 of them r all Canon supporters) but I wan a keep an open mind. Any lobangs or advice from fellow gurus?
Any advice r welcomed! Thanks in advance.

;p

Canon or Nikon should be fine. Advantage of having friends with same make of camera is that they can share their knowledge with you. If you think the price is reasonable with or without promo, just get the cam and start shooting. Recommended shops in the forum are good places to start. Enjoy!

Oh, PLEASE don't start another Canon vs Nikon vs Pentax vs Olympus, vs Voightlander vs Panasonic vs Sigma vs Seagull vs anything please....
Every brand can shoot pictures. What you do with the camera is far more important !!

A wide is a wide, and a tele is a tele. (and everything in-between)
Manual Focus is manual focus, and auto is auto.

If you shoot everything in Manual Mode, then every single special function on any camera becomes totally irrelevant anyway.

Just remember....
Who is in control? Who is taking the picture? You, or the camera?

If you relinquish this task to the camera, then it's no different from simply just using a point and shoot.
aka "Idiot Camera".....

And the best, and most expensive camera cannot do composition, or walk to the location by itself, or decide on what focal length, or create sunsets, and sunrise.
The photographer does that !!!

Welcome:)

Hi and welcome leroric79,
before you commit to a camera purchase, it might be good for you to go feel the different makes and models.
Pick the best one that you feel comfortable shooting with.
It's your $$ and not everyone will like each particular make's ergonomics and control layouts, so why restrict yourself just because your colleagues are influencing you?

P.S. those colleagues who are influencing you to get Canon, do they have nice arsenals of lenses that they are willing and can lend you? if so, it might be a good idea to get Canon, can try different lenses and save $$. ;)

I completely agree with Ansq. Just buy the cheapest 2nd hand Canon body, and permanently borrow your friends lenses with the excuse that you wish to try till you can decide which one to get....

Heck !! Why don't you just borrow their Canons and shoot for a month to see if you like it.....
These are, after all, "f r i e n d s" right?

hahahahahahaha

Last edited:
Welcome to CS!

I suggest going down to the camera shops to feel the bodies and see which one feels right (Weight, handling) for you. Thats how I decided on my Canon 7D when I got it 2 months ago!

Matt

Welcome to CS . . .

It's your own preference.

Welcome to CS... I just into photography and got a Canon... but like what many have said... Nikon or Canon does not matter... ;)

Canon or Nikon should be fine. Advantage of having friends with same make of camera is that they can share their knowledge with you. If you think the price is reasonable with or without promo, just get the cam and start shooting. Recommended shops in the forum are good places to start. Enjoy!

Thanks for the headsup!

Oh, PLEASE don't start another Canon vs Nikon vs Pentax vs Olympus, vs Voightlander vs Panasonic vs Sigma vs Seagull vs anything please....
Every brand can shoot pictures. What you do with the camera is far more important !!

A wide is a wide, and a tele is a tele. (and everything in-between)
Manual Focus is manual focus, and auto is auto.

If you shoot everything in Manual Mode, then every single special function on any camera becomes totally irrelevant anyway.

Just remember....
Who is in control? Who is taking the picture? You, or the camera?

If you relinquish this task to the camera, then it's no different from simply just using a point and shoot.
aka "Idiot Camera".....

And the best, and most expensive camera cannot do composition, or walk to the location by itself, or decide on what focal length, or create sunsets, and sunrise.
The photographer does that !!!

Bravo! *claps* really like the way you put it! Yes, end of the day it's still the person holding on to the cam that controls everything! I shall seriously think thru b4 committing. ;)

I completely agree with Ansq. Just buy the cheapest 2nd hand Canon body, and permanently borrow your friends lenses with the excuse that you wish to try till you can decide which one to get....

Heck !! Why don't you just borrow their Canons and shoot for a month to see if you like it.....
These are, after all, "f r i e n d s" right?

hahahahahahaha

ROFL! This is by far the best advice! I shall go test water in Mon! ;p