Hello there!

Cokiee

Sep 22, 2010
Singapore!
Hi there,

couldn't find an introduction section, so I do apologise if there should be a more appropriate section to do this.

Anyhow, I'm a somewhat newbie here; have been lurking around the various threads for about a week or so.

For some strange reason i've been thinking of getting a DSLR in recent times, after doing some casual shooting with a PnS all these while. It's a theme i've revisited a number of times, actually - just that i've never gotten down to it due to a number of factors, budget being a recurring theme.

I can't explain the desire for a DSLR though. Perhaps it's the allure of potentiall being able to take captivating shots, or the attraction of being able to have the power to 'hold time' for that moment. Perhaps it runs in the family. My dad used to be an avid film photographer - i fondly remember our spare toilet being the darkroom when i was younger, heh. And to get an idea of how long ago that was, i've got a an asahi pentax auto 110 lying around at home, heh.

So anyhow, that's that. I'm a total newbie though, but am thinking of either a Canon 550D or a Nikon D90. But thats another story for another day and thread.

Hello again!:)

okay i haven't the foggiest idea how that :thumbsd: got at the name of the thread. heh.

Hi there,

couldn't find an introduction section, so I do apologise if there should be a more appropriate section to do this.

Anyhow, I'm a somewhat newbie here; have been lurking around the various threads for about a week or so.

For some strange reason i've been thinking of getting a DSLR in recent times, after doing some casual shooting with a PnS all these while. It's a theme i've revisited a number of times, actually - just that i've never gotten down to it due to a number of factors, budget being a recurring theme.

I can't explain the desire for a DSLR though. Perhaps it's the allure of potentiall being able to take captivating shots, or the attraction of being able to have the power to 'hold time' for that moment. Perhaps it runs in the family. My dad used to be an avid film photographer - i fondly remember our spare toilet being the darkroom when i was younger, heh. And to get an idea of how long ago that was, i've got a an asahi pentax auto 110 lying around at home, heh.

So anyhow, that's that. I'm a total newbie though, but am thinking of either a Canon 550D or a Nikon D90. But thats another story for another day and thread.

Go have a feel and test shot the above mention camera to see which one you are more comfortable with. Best is if you can play around with it on your own.

My advice is to go to Equipment Discussions to enquire more about the camera function. ^^

First Question - Have you test shot with any of the above mention camera? If not go give it a try to see which one you are more comfortable with.
Second Question: Which are the possible area you foresee that you will be more interested in shooting more?
Third Question: What is your budget?

Ask yourself the above question and you will be one step closer to your answer ^^

Last edited:
Hi there,

Firstly, welcome to CS:)

Your dad seems to be quite an expert from what you say, so you can learn a lot from him. The basics are not that different from film. Since you have the time just wait, D90 is getting replaced, so if you want it, you can get it at a lower price soon.

Welcome to CS . . . :)

Try both cameras and see which ones you like . . . personal preference. :)

Go have a feel and test shot the above mention camera to see which one you are more comfortable with. Best is if you can play around with it on your own.

My advice is to go to Equipment Discussions to enquire more about the camera function. ^^

First Question - Have you test shot with any of the above mention camera? If not go give it a try to see which one you are more comfortable with.
Second Question: Which are the possible area you foresee that you will be more interested in shooting more?
Third Question: What is your budget?

Ask yourself the above question and you will be one step closer to your answer ^^

I realise you ask the same questions in every newbie thread - and they're very astute questions i might add, so thank you for them. I've actually tried to shoot with the 550D before, and i did like the way it went. It does seem a little .. small, though? I don't know if that's the term to use, cause I haven't had many other comparisons to draw from. :bsmilie:

I think in general i'd want to do street shots - maybe street portraiture or whatnot, and then perhaps landscape shots in the future. Right now, though, i'm giving myself a budget of about 1.6-1.7k inclusive of a dry cabinet.

Firstly, welcome to CS:)

Your dad seems to be quite an expert from what you say, so you can learn a lot from him. The basics are not that different from film. Since you have the time just wait, D90 is getting replaced, so if you want it, you can get it at a lower price soon.

Thanks :) I wouldn't call him pro, but perhaps during their times there really weren't that many distractions and indulgences, heh. I did think of perhaps the D90, but then someone threw up a consideration that the D90 is a 1.5 year old-ish camera on the verge of getting replaced (when the comment was passed the D7000 wasn't announced yet, just rumoured), whilst the 550D was a somewhat newer option.

Welcome to CS . . . :)

Try both cameras and see which ones you like . . . personal preference. :)

The rational mind here says that you're all right - i do need to try and pick them up and click around abit to see which one i really like, but the irrational mind says i'm hoping for some sort of divine direction :bsmilie:

looking at photos though, i realised that canon photos tend to be a little more.. hmm. true? whilst the nikon shots tend to come out sharper, if thats the word to use. Can't really describe it though.

I realise you ask the same questions in every newbie thread - and they're very astute questions i might add, so thank you for them. I've actually tried to shoot with the 550D before, and i did like the way it went. It does seem a little .. small, though? I don't know if that's the term to use, cause I haven't had many other comparisons to draw from. :bsmilie:

I think in general i'd want to do street shots - maybe street portraiture or whatnot, and then perhaps landscape shots in the future. Right now, though, i'm giving myself a budget of about 1.6-1.7k inclusive of a dry cabinet.

Its an expensive hobby thus its better to think throughly before plugging ur $ into it. I was ones in your shoe thus I know how it feels and what kinda of information is required first before going deeper.. ^^

Welcome to CS :)

Thanks :) I wouldn't call him pro, but perhaps during their times there really weren't that many distractions and indulgences, heh. I did think of perhaps the D90, but then someone threw up a consideration that the D90 is a 1.5 year old-ish camera on the verge of getting replaced (when the comment was passed the D7000 wasn't announced yet, just rumoured), whilst the 550D was a somewhat newer option.

looking at photos though, i realised that canon photos tend to be a little more.. hmm. true? whilst the nikon shots tend to come out sharper, if thats the word to use. Can't really describe it though.

D90 is slightly over 2 years old now (2 years 1 month). D7000 is not really a direct replacement. It is sort of squeezed in between a D90 and D300s class. Needless to say, Nikon is repositioning their product lines. That is why D7000 looks so good. It is made to compete against the 60D level. While the D300s level will compete with 7D level.

Pricing so far seems to be that the D7000 will be priced at around SGD1600 (body only), slightly higher than D90 when it first came out. It will be interesting to see how the Nikon line up will look like next year.

As for Canon and Nikon, or Sony or Pentax or another other brand. Most of them can be tuned to give almost the almost same output. All you have to do is play with the settings, or shoot RAW and PP after. So it is really up to you.

Welcome! Buy buy buy.

Welcome to cs :)
Hope u'll find your most suited cam soon so u can start shooting and enjoying this expensive hobby XD

prioritise your spendings . . . cos after the camera, there is a whole list of add-on(ssssss) :)

But i feel that you should get the following basic start up (needs) . . .
1. Dry Cabinet (not dry box)
2. Lens Pen (to clean your lens)
3. Tripod (not those cheapo ones, else you will regret like some of us)

After that will be the following (wants) . . .
1. Camera bag
2. Remote Triggers
3. Flash
4. etc etc etc

Jusy my 2 cents. :)

thank you all very much for your warm welcome :)

and yes, mentally i've tried to work around my budget of about 1.6-1.7k, inclusive of:

camera with kit lens
cleaning kit (lenspen?)
dry cabinet.

off the cuff i'm thinking perhaps i'll use the bag that comes with the kit, and tripod perhaps slightly later?

I'm wondering though. How did you folks decide on which lens to get when you were very new? If you can remember, that is. One piece of advise which i agree with is that i cold perhaps consider getting the one with the longer focal length (either 105 or 135), since i don't know for sure what kind of shots i want to focus on, and hence the longer focal length will come in handy before i erm, find myself, so to speak.

my personal mentality, though, is to try and maximise whatever i have first - regardless of whether it's kit or not, and get myself familiar with shooting with a dslr. I mean, no point gettig the best, then don't know how to use, imho. heh.

comments?

thank you all very much for your warm welcome :)

and yes, mentally i've tried to work around my budget of about 1.6-1.7k, inclusive of:

camera with kit lens
cleaning kit (lenspen?)
dry cabinet.

off the cuff i'm thinking perhaps i'll use the bag that comes with the kit, and tripod perhaps slightly later?

I'm wondering though. How did you folks decide on which lens to get when you were very new? If you can remember, that is. One piece of advise which i agree with is that i cold perhaps consider getting the one with the longer focal length (either 105 or 135), since i don't know for sure what kind of shots i want to focus on, and hence the longer focal length will come in handy before i erm, find myself, so to speak.

my personal mentality, though, is to try and maximise whatever i have first - regardless of whether it's kit or not, and get myself familiar with shooting with a dslr. I mean, no point gettig the best, then don't know how to use, imho. heh.

comments?

With your budget, I recommend the D90 with 18-105 kit lens, Canon 550D kit I, Pentax K-x kit, Sony A55 + 18-250 promotion, Sony A550 + kit.

maximize is good. That is what you need to do. About which lens to buy, as you get more familiar with photography, you will find you hit some walls in the kinds of pictures you want to take, then and only then, you need to research what you want, and the choice of lens will become naturally clear.