Hello ppl... am new here n am gonna get my First DSLR next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divineman

Aug 9, 2006
Hello,:)

Hi guys..My name Chris ..I am in need of great help.. i am going to get hold of my first DSLR next week ... and i am totally lost on which cam to choose. Firstly am gonna start a freelance photography business ..mainly weddings(indian). My uncle is very happy in sponsoring me the equipments.. but i can't decide :dunno: ....my options:
Nikon D200
Canon EOS 5D
Canon EOS 30D

Now i have done close to abt 90% of reaserch online regardin this cams...Thank god i found this place..For now 5D gives me Full Frame CMOS which is great but its ex..D200 CCD but 12.8MP & well bulit...but high ISO are grainy.. but 30D is great at high iso n much cheaper then the other two but its 8.2mp...Apart from this i need help on the Lens too...

I will be doing the rest 10% tmr n on this weekends where i will try out those cameras..

So brothers & sisters.. pls help.. guide me... don't confuse me..;p

Thank you.
GodBless.

5D :thumbsup: BTW, what's your photography background like? :dunno:

get a dslr and jump into wedding pics..wha...

get 5D among the 3 u choose

5D for the full frame capabilities. Weddings generally need wider angles and the 1.6crop of the 30D and 1.5 of the d200.

if budget is no constraint, 5D then. excellent high ISO controls. if you think AF is more impt to you, then get a 1D MKII. :) if u want sth cheaper, the 30D is a competent cam, albeit with lesser features. but bear in mind that full frame requires good lenses.

dont bother abt megapixels. even with 8.2, i think A3 prints are no issue. :)

Freelance on ur 1st DSLR. So, what's ur background? 30yrs experience and now decided to go full time?

if you mean business... get a 30D

get a 17-40 of 17-85

get a 580ex

get a few gig cards

Well, not to spoil his mood or what. But if he's going into BUSINESS, which is expecting an ROI on his investments and there's sponsorship, my suggestion:
- 1DsMkII (I'm NOT JOKING on this)
- 2x 580EX Speedlite (1 fill, 1 bounce) & flash brackets
- 16-35 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 IS f/2.8L
- At least 8 to 10GB worth of CFs with a 40GB data storage tank in reserve

For studio works:
- Hasselblad H2D-39
- HC 2.8/50mm
- HC 3.2/150mm
- A couple of Bowens 1000w studio flash

Yes, if threadstarter is doing this for real, do it all the way.

jsbn said:
Well, not to spoil his mood or what. But if he's going into BUSINESS, which is expecting an ROI on his investments and there's sponsorship, my suggestion:

For studio works:
- Hasselblad H2D-39
- HC 2.8/50mm
- HC 3.2/150mm

can explain why this particular equipment? i mean the reasons behind. :embrass:

jsbn said:

For studio works:
- Hasselblad H2D-39
- HC 2.8/50mm
- HC 3.2/150mm

Opps! You forgot a add a Digital back for the Hassy! :devil:

Paul_Yeo said:
can explain why this particular equipment? i mean the reasons behind. :embrass:
Naturally if u are going into a business, especially that of photography and fine arts which niche groups of customers would demand quality and good pricing, the best way would be to produce the best quality shoots using the best equipment available so as to convince your client that you use and demand nothing but the best out of ur personal works to be able to charge and command a premium.

The amount charged can be counted towards ROI in equipment which will cover purchase cost.

But since there's sponsorship involved, it would only be natural for shareholders to get their money back ASAP. Using nothing but the best, charging and commanding a premium would be able to ROI and see profits in a shorter time frame although the initial capital outlay may be heavy.

Sion said:
What's the problem of today buy first camera and tomorrow become Professional Photographer?

No need licence or overseas qualification mah. :bsmilie:
If this is the way that Professional Photography is heading towards where money would suffice and not experience (pretty much like today's paper chasing world of "Got cert = expert", "No cert, got experience = useless"), I'll be giving up photography. :(

Divineman said:
Hello,:)

Hi guys..My name Chris ..I am in need of great help.. i am going to get hold of my first DSLR next week ... and i am totally lost on which cam to choose. Firstly am gonna start a freelance photography business ..mainly weddings(indian). My uncle is very happy in sponsoring me the equipments.. but i can't decide :dunno: ....my options:
Nikon D200
Canon EOS 5D
Canon EOS 30D

Now i have done close to abt 90% of reaserch online regardin this cams...Thank god i found this place..For now 5D gives me Full Frame CMOS which is great but its ex..D200 CCD but 12.8MP & well bulit...but high ISO are grainy.. but 30D is great at high iso n much cheaper then the other two but its 8.2mp...Apart from this i need help on the Lens too...

I will be doing the rest 10% tmr n on this weekends where i will try out those cameras..

So brothers & sisters.. pls help.. guide me... don't confuse me..;p

Thank you.
GodBless.

have u got ur cam? i think all CSs has given u good advice.

personally i think camera is just a tools..it does matter even if u are holding a world top class canon 1dmk2n or d2xs...if u don make good use of it.

u must first identify ur need in photography...cos manufacturer often stuck wiht the war by coming out the latest technology to impress photographer..to suck out all the coin coin from our pocket...the victim will ultimately be us. i must stress here, that be it canon or nikon ..there both are top of line camera in the world in modern days.

here i offer u some tips.
be it canon 5d..or 1d...they are equipe with the latest digital technology for digital photographer...but often light...not so solid build....cmos sensor wise...it has a big or so call full frame sensor compare to nikon. so interm of image producing....should be great color and soft. i seem some top photographer in the world using canon 1d..producing really good tonal to picture.

now back to nikon d200...it is one the best award winner camera just won the best camera ward in japan this years. for amount of $$ under 2.7k...for such profession body..it is definity worth the ticket. bear in mind d200 is a mini version of d2x..it is a damn solid body..quiet shutter...durable and long lasting design. on top of that..d200 has a weather seal..which stop all moist and dust from going into body. so for outdoor shooting..it is better. photo quality, nikon never failed in image producing. so..for value for money wise..d200 is a good choice...u won regret..trust me.

hope these point help u....u must first list down ur need first before u decided to pump ur money ....cos photography stuff cost $$

Hasselblad H2D-39! I already got two H2Ds!!.....moire free images at iso50 but beyond iso200 the noise gets out of control...and the batt last only abt 2 hrs...Ok i am kidding..:bsmilie: i dont have theH2D!! :eek:

Guess i didnt write clearly the first time around.... basically i have been taking pics using slr cameras for few years now..then from last year onwards i got a dcompact where i started to learn alot by taking many photos , making many mistakes.. and understanding more on the basics and beyond... but i soon ran out things to do using my dcompact as its not fully manual.. it was a short n fast learnin curve.. so i am plannin to get a dslr n after some months start doing the wedding business..i will not be jumpin in as a pro cos I am not a pro just yet .. rgt now i have the time.. to learn.. and i have the high interest in it but maybe i don’t know the technical jargon but more or less i am able to take some good photographs...and i think most importantly i have the eye for it..having keen interest in cinema photography for abt 15 years n having made two short films.. i can say tat i have many things to learn and have learnt many stuffs too...:sweat:

For the cameras the full frame requires really good lens so.. I have to invest even more on the lens if I can get 5D for really a good price .. it will be ok.. if not I am just torn btw D200 n 30D… the thing is d200 has the weather seal.. can it be done for 30D? And how true are the high iso noise problem with D200??
The more I read about the pros n cons of this two cam the more confused I get… Users of this cameras pls shed some light.. and also the right lens which could be an all rounder for capturing weddings and such…

Thank you.
Chris

BTW... why do you need weather seal for being a pro? I don't think it is necessary unless u're a photojournalist. Product/Model/Wedding shots are seldom or if at all shot in the rain...

Status
Not open for further replies.