Hello - New Amateur Joining ClubSnap

AnduTan

Jul 26, 2010
Punggol
Hi Everyone

Glad to be part of this community.
Learning a lot from the critique corner.

Question...
I have been trying out this "Hyperfocal Distance" stuff from another web site but it doesn't really work on my D90 kit lens...see link

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/dof/index.html

anyone tried this and worked well for them? Perhaps some samples or experiences to share please...or maybe I have only a terrible cheap kit lens where everything is not crisp no matter what!!!

Thanks for reading and answering.

Hi Everyone

Glad to be part of this community.
Learning a lot from the critique corner.

Question...
I have been trying out this "Hyperfocal Distance" stuff from another web site but it doesn't really work on my D90 kit lens...see link

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/dof/index.html

anyone tried this and worked well for them? Perhaps some samples or experiences to share please...or maybe I have only a terrible cheap kit lens where everything is not crisp no matter what!!!

Thanks for reading and answering.

Yes it works for me wonderfully...

You might want to read this for some pointers when using hyperfocal distance. Please leave a comment in the article if you find it useful.

http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2010/07/getting-everything-into-focus.html

If you still have doubts after reading this, I encourage you to join one of our landscape photography newbie outings and we can show you how it is done. We are organizing the next one very soon.

Welcome to CS.

TS,

Read up on what DD123 has written in his blog. (thumbs up to big brother for his effort and dedication :thumbsup:)

its comprehensive and i will say its much easier to understand. :thumbsup:

If still in doubt, feel free to ask any questions and we try to answer them the best we could.

Guys...I went into DD123 blog and found that the recent Punggol Sunrise 2nd shot was well taken. Composition and focus! GREAT SHOT - I like that!

Must have been before 7am before the sun peeped out and all went bright!

Was the Hyperfocal theory being practised strictly in these sunrise series shots taken?
Gosh...I really need to try out more!

Thanks for the inspiration.

Guys...I went into DD123 blog and found that the recent Punggol Sunrise 2nd shot was well taken. Composition and focus! GREAT SHOT - I like that!

Must have been before 7am before the sun peeped out and all went bright!

Was the Hyperfocal theory being practised strictly in these sunrise series shots taken?
Gosh...I really need to try out more!

Thanks for the inspiration.

Yes it was used in the Punggol sunrise shots. Not strictly... I did not focus at 0.47m perfectly. I cheated by focusing at around 1m. So everything at 0.5m to infinity will be in focus.

And we were there by 6:20am to setup and capture the pre-dawn lights.

Welcome to CS! :)

Welcome to CS:)

Welcome to CS! DD123 gave a very detailed explanation. Ultimately it means putting it to practice for you to pick up that skill :)

Welcome to CS! DD123 gave a very detailed explanation. Ultimately it means putting it to practice for you to pick up that skill :)

Yes...I will try out the calculations and estimate the distances with my kit lens. I am on the look out for a suitable affordable prime lens maybe a normal AF 24mm f 2.8D to start me off...any suggestions for amateur like me to start off with for landscape type?

Actually tot of renting some lenses to try and decide...any recommendations?

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes...I will try out the calculations and estimate the distances with my kit lens. I am on the look out for a suitable affordable prime lens maybe a normal AF 24mm f 2.8D to start me off...any suggestions for amateur like me to start off with for landscape type?

Actually tot of renting some lenses to try and decide...any recommendations?

Thanks for the warm welcome.

For landscape photography, your kit lens will be good enough. Just shoot at around F13 or F16 and use a tripod.

Landscape is not exactly what prime lenses do best.

Last edited:
Hi I am back again...
and very inspired by daredevil123's latest MBS dawn shots so went to try to imitate his shots to learn what it takes to do shots like his...
What I learned is that I don't have his eye for detail and composition can never beat his shots no matter what I try...
BUT i did get to practice the Hyperfocal theory.
Not that sharp in the dots at bottom right.
Here's a shot which I hope I did with the focus at 0.7M.
shot was f/18 at 2.5sec with a rented Tokina 11-16mm on a d90.
I know this is not a C&C but hope to learn more as I take more shots.

sorry - tried to paste the image here but got nothing so here's the link if youre interested.
thanks for the warm support.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49583274@N06/4867730396/in/photostream/

Helping you to put up your image here:

4867730396_d9ee67d968_b.jpg

Hi I am back again...
and very inspired by daredevil123's latest MBS dawn shots so went to try to imitate his shots to learn what it takes to do shots like his...
What I learned is that I don't have his eye for detail and composition can never beat his shots no matter what I try...
BUT i did get to practice the Hyperfocal theory.
Not that sharp in the dots at bottom right.
Here's a shot which I hope I did with the focus at 0.7M.
shot was f/18 at 2.5sec with a rented Tokina 11-16mm on a d90.
I know this is not a C&C but hope to learn more as I take more shots.

sorry - tried to paste the image here but got nothing so here's the link if youre interested.
thanks for the warm support.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49583274@N06/4867730396/in/photostream/

Waaaa, trying to beat my shots ar? :bsmilie: Very easy to beat my shots. My shots are not that great. I am also learning from people like night86mare and Kit. They are the true gurus in this forum. I am only a wanna-be.

The hyperfocal shot is almost there. Just that the closest parts of the frame it may be under 35cm, that is why they are a little OOF. You are almost there already.

The thing about landscape photography, it is often a lot better to take it in landscape orientation. So getting a perspective that the helix bridge is more extended would be a good idea. Try shooting at the lower level. There is this railing there. To shoot over it nicely, shorten 2 legs of your tripod to minimum, spread them open and lean them on the cement wall where it meets the metal railing. Extend the final leg to the max and rest on the ground. You will have a solid setup, and the camera will be a little more forward, giving you a better vantage than just setting up on 3 legs on the ground as per normal.

Last edited:
Thanks Dingaroo...was trying to paste that link but it shows as a ?? icon in preview.

DD123...the shoot I did at MBS was a 1/10 of your image that you choose for your blog.
To add to this Copy What Guru does (DD123 that is)...I did a very unsucessful Punggol Jetty sunrise shot which was meant for the trash...
I will be trying that shot again and hopefully the sunrise will be nice to me as compared to the last few days...very mono cloud pattern.

Thanks again for the inspirations.
I will try to do more early morning shots and see if I improve before i get the 11-16mm.

Any other blogs I can see besides the flickr 11-16???