hello. me need help in concert setting photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

eadwine

Jan 17, 2002
east side
first time using d60 in a sought of concert setting.
everything didnt go as i expected.

i have toooooooo many blurred images when i was using
ef75-300mm III. f4-5.6.
cos of the aperture i couldnt really get shots above 1/100sec.
bringing a tripod may help but i may move around abit.
it was kinda "ok" when i switched to the 50mm.

oh, if u constantly switch ur lens back and forth , i mean lets say i alternate between the 75-300 and 50mm, would it damage the camera?

any ideas on how to we should go about taking photos in concert settings????

All comments are welcome! thanks =)

heres a few err.. sharper shots. i took like 172, but 90 came out ok. the rest were so blurred.....=(

concert2.jpg

Use the highest ISO you can afford.
Use the fastest lenses you can afford.
Practise your handholding technique. Tripods/monopods not practical in shooting concerts.

Changing lenses frequently will not damage the camera. Unless it's a F55 with plastic lens mount.

Regards
CK

What you could do is station a few tripods around significant areas of the hall, so that you don't have to lug your stands around. If there is an upper balcony, put one there, put one on ground level and if you have the resources, one backstage as well. This gives you the option of having a stand should the lighting get too dark.

Use a fast lens, F2.8 or 1.4 preferably, and push the ISO to 800. That should give you an average of 1/15 to 1/30 shooting situations most of the time.

If you can't, find places to rest your arms when you shoot, like on the stage, on railings, seat backs...etc.

What kind of concert are you referring to, Eadwine? The classical kind where no one moves except for the irritating cameraman? Or the pop/rock ones where everyone moves and the cameraman is irritated?

For the former, it'll be wise to plonk a few tripods at various good spots. You can then move around and mount your camera on the tripods wherever you fancy.

It'll be impossible to use a tripod, much less mention a few. A suggestion is to use a monopod. You be clumsy and quite a hindrance to other photogs around but at least your shots won't turn out blur.

Also, CK's suggestion to use higher ASA helps. If not, you either not zoom so much or simply borrow a lens with a wider aperture.

I shoot pop concerts where the singer dances around. I usually use no more than f/4. Film speed is either ASA400 or 800. It's just my usual practice. Some people push to ASA1600 but I really don't think that's necessary, for me at least.

Hope that helps :)

p/s: Shouldn't this thread be in 'Technical Discussion'?

Moved.

Actually, apart from being impractical (you really need mobility) to use tripods and monopods (let alone several), you find that subject movement becomes an issue as well. Imaging shooting a singing/dancing performer at 1/30....

Best is still to use higher ISO to get a higher shutter speed. For brightly lit stages, you can get by with 800 or even 400. For the dimmer ones, probably need 800-1600.

Regards
CK

wow,thanks for the advice guys.
will do.

Originally posted by eadwine
first time using d60 in a sought of concert setting.
everything didnt go as i expected.

i have toooooooo many blurred images when i was using
ef75-300mm III. f4-5.6.
cos of the aperture i couldnt really get shots above 1/100sec.
bringing a tripod may help but i may move around abit.
it was kinda "ok" when i switched to the 50mm.

i actually experience the same thing when i borrowed BS's 75-300 last time....remember what i have told u in the other thread? :)

increase ISO is the only help liao....if not get the 70-200 f2.8 IS lor :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.