Hello, just joined ClubSnap

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonolau

Jan 9, 2010
Singapore
Hi everyone! Just want to wish all a Happy New Year!

I'm new to DSLR photography and have bought a Canon 7D with 15-85 f3.5-5.6 lens to start off with.

Hope to learn more tips from all of you!

All the best
Jonathan

Welcome to CS :) Enjoy your new camera & go shoot some pictures. Have fun ;)

Thanks, madmartian! I had the G10 for a few months before this and was thorough enjoying the experience. Decided to go full DSLR as I felt that I could achieve even better pictures.

Just hope that it won't become a white elephant ... if not, will also be a great photo opp for anyone who hasn't seen an albino pachyderm in their lives! Hahaha!

Thanks, madmartian! I had the G10 for a few months before this and was thorough enjoying the experience. Decided to go full DSLR as I felt that I could achieve even better pictures. Just hope that it won't become a white elephant ... if not, will also be a great photo opp for anyone who hasn't seen an albino pachyderm in their lives! Hahaha!
Choose the subject that you like most. Then go shoot them. Along the way, just shoot other things. Don't shoot once in every 6 mths. That won't help. If it ever turn into a white elephant, let us know. We'll come shoot it............haha ;p

great cam u have there.. welcome :D

jonolau, a very warm welcome to you.
I just want to say that your 7D is a fantastic machine and I congratulate you on your wise purchase.
Do use it to its fullest.

Hi hi. I've just joined as well. Used to play film SLRs long time ago... Now its time for the new era.

Wow you got a nice setup!

Hi everyone! Just want to wish all a Happy New Year!

I'm new to DSLR photography and have bought a Canon 7D with 15-85 f3.5-5.6 lens to start off with.

Hope to learn more tips from all of you!

All the best
Jonathan

Jonathan new members need to treat kopi downstairs (joke) welcome to CS! ;)

Hi Jonathan,

I am also a Newbies...:D

Welcome to CS

U have a great camera... (7D)

winkoo88

Thank you all for the very warm welcome!

I'll try not to use it only every 6 months ... perhaps 5? Haha.

Kopi? No problemo!

I took my overseas boss and his wife to the Night Safari this evening and brought along the 7D to fiddle around with some night shots. My field report? No white elephants and the animals were probably laughing their butts off at my inability to work out the camera settings. I swear I could hear them sniggering or maybe it was just the hyenas ...

Looks like I'll have to spend a bit more time going through the user manual and magazines to work them out. I will persevere, just need the help and useful advice from the seasoned shutterbugs here!

Looks like I'll have to spend a bit more time going through the user manual and magazines to work them out. I will persevere, just need the help and useful advice from the seasoned shutterbugs here!

yeah, read the user manual and trial-and-error. if still cannot, google your problem online or search for tutorials. :)

Thank you all for the very warm welcome!

I'll try not to use it only every 6 months ... perhaps 5? Haha.

Kopi? No problemo!

I took my overseas boss and his wife to the Night Safari this evening and brought along the 7D to fiddle around with some night shots. My field report? No white elephants and the animals were probably laughing their butts off at my inability to work out the camera settings. I swear I could hear them sniggering or maybe it was just the hyenas ...

just keep shooting and dont stop.. your camera will teach you the things you need to know.
your first 5000 shots are the worst but dont be intimidated with this saying just keep rolling and rolling and shooting..

every week i go out with my office friend and do some street shooting almost anywhere.
it has been a part of my weekly routine for so long that i dont even know anymore why i am still doing it eheheh.

nice camera you have btw.

Last edited:
yeah, read the user manual and trial-and-error. if still cannot, google your problem online or search for tutorials. :)

You're right, looks like I'll be staying up later than usual ... after that you all will have a panda bear to shoot! ;)

just keep shooting and dont stop.. your camera will teach you the things you need to know.
your first 5000 shots are the worst but dont be intimidated with this saying just keep rolling and rolling and shooting..

every week i go out with my office friend and do some street shooting almost anywhere.
it has been a part of my weekly routine for so long that i dont even know anymore why i am still doing it eheheh.

nice camera you have btw.

Much appreciated! I'm playing around with different aperture settings, exposures, ISO settings for the exact same scene to understand the differences and results of those settings. Also getting used to the position and dials for each of these settings and hopefully after 5000 shots, I'll be able to set them in a flash.

BTW, I want to get a macro lens to take extreme close-ups of product pics for my work. Also probably nature subjects such as insects because my little kids are fascinated by them.

Any suggestions on an acceptable macro lens to start off with? I most likely want to buy second hand as I won't be using it as much.

BTW, I want to get a macro lens to take extreme close-ups of product pics for my work. Also probably nature subjects such as insects because my little kids are fascinated by them.

Any suggestions on an acceptable macro lens to start off with? I most likely want to buy second hand as I won't be using it as much.
:think: hard question... this is always depending on the budget that you have and money will to spend. actually i just bought a 100mm f/2.8L macro hybrid IS and it is SSSOOOOOO COOOLL!

but i am using it for portrait. it allows me to zoom closely to the subject.. because i want my portraits to be sharp and close to frame the face.

get the 100mm non L series its good also.. serves two.. portrait and macro also.. but if you have extra cash.. you wont regret the 100mm L like i bought. The Hybrid IS system provides up to 2 stops stabilisation at 1.0x magnification, and up to 4 stops at longer shooting distances.

so no much worry about handshake doing macro. i seldom being amazed by lenses and definetely this 100mm 2.8L is in mylist.

cost about 1350 w/ gst.

you can get 100mm non L with a decent 2nd hand price of 600 depending on how much time you spend and how active you are in searching. somebody will always turn up. :thumbsup:

Hi there
I am new as well...new to this forum although I have been mucking around with DSLR for some time. Hope to learn from you folks.

Cheers

:think: hard question... this is always depending on the budget that you have and money will to spend. actually i just bought a 100mm f/2.8L macro hybrid IS and it is SSSOOOOOO COOOLL!

but i am using it for portrait. it allows me to zoom closely to the subject.. because i want my portraits to be sharp and close to frame the face.

get the 100mm non L series its good also.. serves two.. portrait and macro also.. but if you have extra cash.. you wont regret the 100mm L like i bought. The Hybrid IS system provides up to 2 stops stabilisation at 1.0x magnification, and up to 4 stops at longer shooting distances.

so no much worry about handshake doing macro. i seldom being amazed by lenses and definetely this 100mm 2.8L is in mylist.

cost about 1350 w/ gst.

you can get 100mm non L with a decent 2nd hand price of 600 depending on how much time you spend and how active you are in searching. somebody will always turn up. :thumbsup:
Great, thanks for the tips and advice. I just checked at Funan and the cheapest I can get the f2.8L is $1284 with GST. However, I didn't have the time to check with Cathay.

Status
Not open for further replies.