hello.. i'm new..n have questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

skull

Nov 13, 2009
what camera do you guys suggest a newbie should buy?? is nikon d3000 fine for a newbie like me? or you prefer a different brand or model?? i saw an ad from courts saying Nikon D60 for 988? do u think its a good deal? please advise, i'd like to try something new with my life, and i'm interested to learn basic photography. Thank you ;)

Welcome to CS:) Between the 2, i'd go for the D3000. ;)

Hello, skull. A very warm welcome to you.
Yes, I personally believe that the D3000 is a good body if you are totally brand new to photography and do not want to spend too excessively. Play around with it.
I am a Canon person. Therefore if asked about the entry level Canon, I would suggest Canon EOS 500D.
However, if you do think you are going to go into it in a more serious way after much re-consideration, then a mid-range Nikon D90 or a Canon 50D may be on the table (still, these are just for sharing some info with you only lah...).

Hi skull,

Warm welcome you to CS..

Whats your budget?

Nikon D3000 is a very good cam for beginners as u can learn thru the process while using the cam. the cam teaches u every basics u need to know. D3000 replaced D60 hence why choose D60? ;)

try research for Pentax K-x too.. its really value for money. cheaper than D3000 with twin lenses if i not wrong.. ;)

Hi, welcome to CS.

Please do research on different brands in the market. All brands are capable of producing good pictures. So it boils down to personal preference and whether u like the feel and handling of each brand/body.

Do choose wisely as it will be difficult/expensive to change brand/system once you are in. One thing to note: Do you have friends who are into photography? What brand are they using? It will be good if everyone's using the same brand, so as to share lens.

Hi skull,

Warm welcome you to CS..

Whats your budget?

Nikon D3000 is a very good cam for beginners as u can learn thru the process while using the cam. the cam teaches u every basics u need to know. D3000 replaced D60 hence why choose D60?

try research for Pentax K-x too.. its really value for money. cheaper than D3000 with twin lenses if i not wrong..

I agree the pentax k-x is really cool. Especially with the 100 colour combination.
But SG we will only see the standard few colours white, black, maybe red , blue? i not so sure.

My wife keeps bugging me for the pink and yellow one though, that I need to fly to tokyo to buy then :)

fea5_img03b.jpg

img0272v.jpg

img0273f.jpg

pentax_34.jpg

Last edited:
:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes: WAH!!!!! i din know go so many colour!!!! lol i tot only got Black, Red, White, Navy blue... :bsmilie:

:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes: WAH!!!!! i din know go so many colour!!!! lol i tot only got Black, Red, White, Navy blue... :bsmilie:

The white-black one is for Star Wars freaks?

Hmmm... it's a good idea to have all these colours.
If I buy a yellow one with the red grip, it would appear to be almost like a toy camera.
Can bring anywhere in the world and no snatch thief would give it a hoot...

Whoaahh Pentax colors so cool...:eek: So many combi..

For TS, if between d3000 or d60, id go for d3000, new technology and newer model.;)

Do look at the other brands also, like canon, sony, olympus, pentax, etc. 988 for the obsolete D60 is crazy whena brand new A230 would cost you 600-630.

And if you're seriously getting into photography - do more research in what you want in a dslr. 988 for a D60 is extremely pricey - also the D60 doesn't have any in-built af motor. You have to get the more pricey VR lens with motor inside - will add a lot of hidden costs if you develop a lens addiction and realize that your D60 cannot do AF on older classic lens without SWM (silent wave motor).

You should seriously consider either Sony or Pentax. Value for money and although not as famous as Canon/Nikon (just because they don't over-advertise), they do have a decent heritage. Sony acquired Konica/Minolta so they can use Minolta lenses (Rashkae, correct me if i'm wrong here) or Pentax - Pentax has been around for ages and is often known as the Photographer's brand. ;)

Of if you're gungho enough - go the slr or rangefinder with film route. That's the best way to learn photography - just my opinion. Coz, you have to learn basic photography and if you mess up - you'll either get better or give up. :p

if pentax got 2 dials and top display panel and still look so funky i jump ship liao...or buy 1 as spare!

if pentax got 2 dials and top display panel and still look so funky i jump ship liao...or buy 1 as spare!

But are you ok with the 4x AA batteries? Supposed to shoot more shots per batt life - 1900 shots (i think) - some people like the Nikon/Canon type of batteries.

I'm so going to sell my D60 and get a K-X soon... ;)

Mr Yapster... no. 57 is very Singapore - red, white but must get white/red lens to match :p

Mr Yapster... no. 57 is very Singapore - red, white but must get white/red lens to match :p

Hehe, i will paste 5 stars and a crescent. :bsmilie:

Oh TS, sorry about the OT.

Back to your questions, between D60 and D3000, i will go for D3000 since the amount i pay should be about the same for a new one.
Here's the Nikon Price Guide anyway.

If you are not insisting on a Nikon, ya, you should check out other brands. :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys.. i think i like the pentax k-x... looks cool!! How much is it anyway.. and where should i get it? is Funan d right place to go?? :)

I appreciate all your help...

Maybe u can suggest their K-7 or next upcoming semi-pro model to look as funky as K-x :bsmilie:

Thanks guys.. i think i like the pentax k-x... looks cool!! How much is it anyway.. and where should i get it? is Funan d right place to go?? :)

I appreciate all your help...

Funan sld be one of the right place to go... as im sicked of SLS liao.. once a best price place, now turned into a con pple place... if u not careful.. :bsmilie:

try out SLR Revo n John316.. don bother to try Alan Photo Funan.. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.