hello.. i'm new..n have questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
057 for me~ ;p

wah..... sssoo ppprreeettteeeee!!!!!! just saw that only stock colours available in sg.... the other colours must customize order... and only available in Japan... =(

i am new too. =D

and in fact, i spent months researching on cameras before coming to a decision to buy the D3000.

but! when i discovered this wonderful place with the wonderful people, i was introduced to the pentax k-x. DAMN! more research and comparison followed..

i got the white k-x 3 days ago.. and i am deliriously, ecstatically, and wholesomely 100% happy with it. =D

i dare say i am a senior in this rather torturous "which camera to buy" stage, so let me pass on the kindness i received here and give u some tips to make a decision which, while it may not be the best from other's perspective, it will be a decision that you will be happy with.

firstly find out what you want in your camera. go and familiarize yourself with the comparison points of each camera within your budget, and identify the few that you like. www.dpreview.com allows you to compare cameras spec-by-spec, and i used it countless of times in my months of research.

do you want video? do you want the in-built focus motor? do the megapixels matter to you? do you want ONLY canon or nikon cameras and lenses?

my gathered opinion after these months of research yielded a few conclusions.
1. Nikon and Canon are the best in the field the top-end professional levels.
2. Nikon and Canon spend a LOT on advertising. inevitably, the cost of the advertising is passed on to consumers.
3. This is where brands like pentax shine. Though less popular, for the price of a entry level Nikon or canon, you get a camera with the specs and performance level of a Mid range Nikon or canon.
4. My conceptions might be wrong. BUT at my level i cannot tell the difference, and in the time it takes for me to be more "pro" and eventually upgrade, i will learn more and then make a wiser decision when it comes to the more money spent on better bodies/lenses. It is not too late to switch if i am wrong.

In conclusion, the camera you use as a beginner doesnt matter and it is more important you use it to learn and hone your shooting skills.

Thus, take the time to research, explore, feel identify the one you like based on the expectations you have, and the features you like. And of course, your budget. :D

After that, bloody get it :D

If u ask me why i chose the K-x over any of the rest, it is because
1. It comes in white. It is a beauty and a beast at the same time :D
2. It has excellent high ISO performance. (better than the D90 in some comparison tests)
3. It can take videos in high quality. The D3000 cannot, and the D5000 too, if i am not wrong. And the video length is longer compared to the many others.
4. When i checked out the reviews, i was expecting the K-x to be compared with the entry levels of other brands. But no! The k-x was compared to MID-RANGE levels of other brands! i LOVED this fact. makes me feel good that i, as a newbie, can get to own a "mid-range" camera"

Hahahaha. That may be shallow thinking eh. LOL.

But i love my camera and now i can happily go on to learn all i can. That's the important think for a beginner, i feel.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.. i think i like the pentax k-x... looks cool!! How much is it anyway.. and where should i get it? is Funan d right place to go?? :)

I appreciate all your help...

It's going for like $942 to $960, the last I checked but only white, and black available. Seems out of stock at the moment. Perhaps, if you can wait for a month - the price might go down. :bsmilie:

I heard good things about the SLR Revolution shop opposite John 3:16. You might want to check that out at the first stop. Welcome to the Pentax Revolution against big name brands - you know who they are. LOL.... :lovegrin:

Thus, take the time to research, explore, feel identify the one you like based on the expectations you have, and the features you like. And of course, your budget. :D

After that, bloody get it :D

But i love my camera and now i can happily go on to learn all i can. That's the important think for a beginner, i feel.

Yes, be like tootboink. Do extensive research and analyze the pros and cons and just bloody get it. After that, borrow/buy a good basic book on digital slr or fundamental of photography.

You'll know because - it teaches you about shutterspeed, focal length, aperture sizes, lighting, exposures. Especially composition and subsequently teaches some basic post-processing. After that, just get out there and practise photography !

And yes, read the instruction manual that comes with your choice of camera. :D

It's going for like $942 to $960, the last I checked but only white, and black available. Seems out of stock at the moment. Perhaps, if you can wait for a month - the price might go down. :bsmilie:

So ex?? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.