Hello! I'm about to buy Nikon D3100

xzeratul

Jan 27, 2011
Hi everyone!
It's my 4th week in Singapore now but I still have no idea where is the good place to buy a camera (both new and used). The only thing I have now is Lumix LX3 which great for what it is but I need something more snappy so I think I'm going to buy Nikon D3100. But D5000 price (used) is less than D3100. Should I get D5000 instead? And where should I buy it?

Well, used would be on here. For new, look at our Priceguides section.

Consider the pros and cons of the budget-level Nikons; for that money, you could also consider an Olympus, Pentax or sony and get a very good system with it's own advantages.

The D5000 is "older" than the D3100, which explains the price difference.

Heres a list of reputable stores frequent by CSers.

AP - Alan Photo, #01-38 Sim Lim Square, Tel: 6336 0922, e-mail: alanfoto@singnet.com.sg, website: www.alanphoto.com.sg
AP-F - Alan Photo, #05-20 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6883 0922, e-mail: alanfoto@singnet.com.sg, website: www.alanphoto.com.sg
CP - Cathay Photo, #01-11/14 Peninsula Plaza, Tel: 6337 4274, e-mail: email@cathayphoto.com.sg, website: www.cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-M - Cathay Photo, #02-215/216 Marina Square, 6 Raffles Boulevard, Tel: 6339 6188, e-mail: email@cathayphoto.com.sg, website: www.cathayphoto.com.sg
John - John 3:16, #05-46 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6337 2877 / 6337 1897, e-mail: j316ps@gmail.com, website: www.john316photo.com
MS - MS Colour, Block 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C, Tel: 6457 6380, e-mail: sales@mscolor.com.sg, website: www.mscolor.com.sg
MS-O - MS Colour Outlet - 53 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3, AMK Hub #02-24, Tel: 6452 2828, website: www.mscolor.com.sg
OP - Orient Photo, #06-53/31 Sim Lim Square, Tel: 6339 1035, e-mail: sales@orientfoto.com.sg
Parisilk-N - Parisilk North - No.7 Transit Road (Outside Nee Soon Army Camp) Tel: 6452 1593, website: www.parisilk.com
Parisilk-C - Parisilk Central - No.15A Lorong Liput (Behind Holland Shopping Centre) Tel: 6466 6002, website: www.parisilk.com
Parisilk-E - Parisilk East - Blk 214 #01-179 Bedok Central Tel: 6441 6066
TK - T K Foto Technic, #02-14 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6292 4533, e-mail: sales@tkfoto.com.sg, website: www.tkfoto.com.sg
SLR-R - Funan IT Mall Level 5 opp John 3:16

Personally, I would buy the D3100 instead D5000 because it uses the new Expeed 2 processor and shoots FHD videos.

MS color and DSLRevo offers competitive prices.:)

Personally, I would buy the D3100 instead D5000 because it uses the new Expeed 2 processor and shoots FHD videos.

MS color and DSLRevo offers competitive prices.:)

May wish 2 check 1st if D3100 supports backeting ? Else can consider D5000

If Budget $2.5K can consider D7000

Welcome:)

Congrat! Me newbie also ;)

Welcome to CS and have fun!
If u hv budget, go for D7000.

D3100 can not do auto blanketing but I think I can live with it :)
is 770S$ for a used D3100 with kit lens a reasonable price?

It's ok... But for 770 you can get something better. But if you die die must get Nikon, go for it.

FYI, it's "bracketing" not "blanketing"

I suggest you spend a bit more time to familiarize yourself with the different features that some DSLRs in the market have.
Figure out WHY you want to buy a DSLR in the first place :)

I don't know much about Sony and Pentax could you recommend DSLR from both around 800S$?

bro new one you can get for 835sg with kit lens and you get a lot of freebies that comes with it... bag tripod etc which you can sell off to negate the price difference.... plus you have the peace of mind of a brand new set...

I bought a d3100 last dec and i am completely satisfied with .... but check if you have big hands though its a bit small the no bracketing no timelapse but i dont need those feature anyways so go ahead you cant go wrong with nikon..

Last edited:
I don't know much about Sony and Pentax could you recommend DSLR from both around 800S$?

Brand new or second hand? For sony, for 800 bucks, you could get a second-hand A550. That has up to 7fps, a tilting LCD with fast autofocus in live view (great for ground-level or overhead shots), built-in antishake (no need to buy IS/VR lenses).

I used an A550 to shoot F1, it worked very well.

You can also get an A500 - same sensor as the D3100 (Nikon uses Sony sensors).

For Pentax, the K-r and K-X are good.

Last edited:

Pentax Kr and Kx (older model).
Better value for money in my opinion.
Better features, better high ISO performance.

You can compare Kr and Kx performance for all ISO against other makes. Probably the best performance in its price range, even against those that are $200-$300 more expensive.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

History of Pentax (if you don't know) (ie. not some startling; in fact the 1st Japanese SLR manufacturer)
http://www.photoxels.com/history_pentax.html

Thanks a lot guys :D
It a new D3100 is only 835S$ then 770S$ used is not a good price to get.
Pentax K-r and Sony A55 look really good from a review.

I have to reconsider what to buy...

Thanks a lot guys :D
It a new D3100 is only 835S$ then 770S$ used is not a good price to get.
Pentax K-r and Sony A55 look really good from a review.

I have to reconsider what to buy...

i am a newbie just like you and when i was buying my first DSLR i was so confused by the number of choices i had

do i go for the burst rate of the Sony A55? the low noise performance of the pentax kr? the high resolution of the canon 550d the magnesium alloy body of the nikon d7000

here are my humble opinions on those cameras ( again these are my own opinions so anyone dont flame me as i am entitled to my own opinions regardless of whether you disagree or not )

i found the Sony A55 plasticky and cheap looking and not as well built and the burst rate you dont really need (unless your a pro shooting sports and just for showing off) yes it focuses fast on live view but who focuses on live view? if i had wanted to focus on live view i would have bought a Point and shoot, the swiveling LCD screen? i didnt really need it... i like to get my eye on the viewfinder

the pentax kx had good reviews and etc but sorry in my view it looked like a made in china toy ...

the pentax kr looked ok but it was more expensive than a nikon D3100? for almost the same performance? i dont get it... if it was the same price i would have gotten this

the Nikon D7000 is a great camera but it was too overpriced and expensive and i dont get why you would need magnesium alloy body on a camera are you going to use your camera as a hammer?

i dont see any value the magnesium alloy body adds to the camera if you drop a camera the damage you should be concerned about is to the internals and circuitry of camera not to the body and weather proofing? why would you shoot when its raining? i dont get it...

so it boiled down to the canon 550d 18-55 kit lens (1,349sg) and the Nikon D3100 18-55 kit lens ( 835sg)

specs wise the Canon got the Nikon beat coz it was in a different class altogether but i didnt think the specs difference was worth 500sg so i choose the D3100 and used the left over money to buy the 55-200mm VR and 35mm 1.8 lenses

so it boils down on which is more important to you specs? or value for money

enjoy your camera and welcome to the DSLR world

Last edited:
yes it focuses fast on live view but who focuses on live view? if i had wanted to focus on live view i would have bought a Point and shoot, the swiveling LCD screen? i didnt really need it... i like to get my eye on the viewfinder

wait till you try the "overhead" or ground-level shots. Having fast AF and a tilting LCD helps immensely, as people next to me without those aids trying to shoot the performances at F1 learned... Most gave up because they could not frame it properly and could not get focus to work.