Hello, i'm a new Panasonic user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

syous

May 8, 2006
Refrigerator
Hihi, after months of searching i just bought the first camera in my life that is 'Lumix FZ7'. With this camera, i hope i can take good photos with it. But the problem is how do i start? can anyone guide me? I have borrow books on photography and try to understand the science behind it. But I believe practice is the key to it, so i hope i can join you guyz on any PLUG outing so please jio me wor. thanx!!

Regarding the camera:
1 - i find that the lens cap is abit irritating coz when you are using the camera, it is dangling there by the string. So what do you guys do about it?

2 - i have got a free 512MB card is it enough? I have got an ipod, so i was wondering should i get a ipod camera adapter so that i can transfer all my photo to it when it is full or another new sd card?

3 - is there any nice cool looking camera bag outside? the free one is very big and doesnt look nice.

4 - i still have alot of question, but very late now need to sleep... so better leave those question to next time ba.

thank you all for helping this newbie, seeya...

Hi Syous,

Welcome to the club. You are at the right place where there are so many Lumixers here who would be more than willing to help.

Good that you have started reading books on photography, but nothing beats experiences especially when shared by other photographers. I would suggest you join any of the upcoming PLUG and I believe the other Lumixers will show you the tips and tricks of stuffs.

It does seem that you are trying to figure out the technicalities of photography. My honest opinion, let that be secondary. Your primary goal is to be comfortable with your camera and what you shoot. Enjoy your shooting first and make your mistakes first. And from these mistakes, correct them by getting other photographers to critic them. Do not hesitate to upload these photos for other to see. You will sure be able to receive much comments both good and bad. And in this situation, you would rather receive constructive critics so that you can better yourself.

As for the SD Card, my personal suggestion is to get another card, a 1GB maybe? Personally, I would rather carry a few smaller size SD rather than one big one just in case something happens to it like corrupt card, than all information may be lost.

Anyways just like you, I need to turn in... he he he... till next time.

Enjoy your Lumix and hope to see you during our outings...

Saiful Bahar

syous said:
2 - i have got a free 512MB card is it enough?

normally the given free card is a normal speed Kingston 512mb card.
perhaps sufficient for normal use but not fast enough for bursts.
i would go for a 2gb card as its rather cheap nowadays and its the max supported amt.

in my case, 1GB SD as primary and another 512 for secondary card, they're enough, you better have 2 cards than 1 big one.

You can buy a bag which can store camera, spare battery, card, lens and other accessories if you need. But in my case i use the Panasonic hard case and use a backpack to store everything, include a small size tripod when travel out, it's more conveniene and cheaper than a good quality bag. It's up to ur budget

The lens cap does not make messy at all, just let it there, pal :D

anyway, as saifulbahar said, the first thing u need is learn how to master ur camera, try to discover all the function which could be useful. Then u go to next step, learn a bit more about how to shot photos in diff condition..

Hello new Lumixer!

Well for a start, HWM's megaguide is a good place to read up on photography. Thats how i started off this hobby. Am currently using my FZ5 with a whole lot of other extra stuff, but i'm currently saving up for a DSLR :bsmilie:

Anyway, welcome aboard! Just to share with you some links that i find useful.

PanaChallenge : http://www.panachallenge.com/
Seemolf's FZ5 Page : http://www.geocities.com/seemolf/
Digital Photography School : http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/

As far as lens cap is concerned, i don't attatch the string to the cam, as i myself find it a nuisance. So i just put it on when i keep the camera, and i take it off when i use it.

In answering your SD card question. I think if the Fz7 can accept 2gb. Go for it! If not, 1gb should suffice. The recommended brand and model is the Kingston Elite Pro.

As far as bag's is concerned. Get a bag that's big enough for the camera and a few other stuff. Unless you know you won't be buying any extra stuff [like me:sweatsm: ], then a small bag would be enough.

The best now is to know what you want to shoot, like macro, landscape, architecture and work on that particular genre, once you know you're already getting the hang of it, move on to something else, that way, it bore you of the choices of shooting :)

yo syous,

welcome aboard...... see you soon on our coming PLUG.

Cheers

Welcom new FZ owner!!:) Let me kay-po and give my 2 cents worth.

syous said:
Hihi, after months of searching i just bought the first camera in my life that is 'Lumix FZ7'. With this camera, i hope i can take good photos with it. But the problem is how do i start? can anyone guide me? I have borrow books on photography and try to understand the science behind it. But I believe practice is the key to it, so i hope i can join you guyz on any PLUG outing so please jio me wor. thanx!!...

Don't worry too much on the science of photography (f stop, speed, etc.), can read up on that later. More importantly, learn and understand composition and artistic technique. This can make a potentially good photograph, bad! Just leave the selection on Auto and take your shots.

syous said:
Regarding the camera:
1 - i find that the lens cap is abit irritating coz when you are using the camera, it is dangling there by the string. So what do you guys do about it?

I also found it irritating. Took out the string after 5 minutes. Now, keep the lens cap in my pocket when shooting.

syous said:
2 - i have got a free 512MB card is it enough? I have got an ipod, so i was wondering should i get a ipod camera adapter so that i can transfer all my photo to it when it is full or another new sd card?

Save your money on the adapter. Get a 1 mb card instead. 1 mb should hold 300+ photos at the next to highest resolution. Which is about the life of a fully charged battery, if I'm not mistaken. On top of that, you will have a 512MB card as a back-up.

syous said:
3 - is there any nice cool looking camera bag outside? the free one is very big and doesnt look nice.

I got the Lowepro Rezo TLZ 10. Holds the FZ7 nicely, but not much extra space for filters. I can only fit one CL Polarizer.

syous said:
4 - i still have alot of question, but very late now need to sleep... so better leave those question to next time ba.

Good Shooting!

syous said:
Hihi, after months of searching i just bought the first camera in my life that is 'Lumix FZ7'. With this camera, i hope i can take good photos with it. But the problem is how do i start? can anyone guide me? I have borrow books on photography and try to understand the science behind it. But I believe practice is the key to it, so i hope i can join you guyz on any PLUG outing so please jio me wor. thanx!!

One important tip to use a Lumix camera is to set the OIS at mode 2.
I would say that using high speed burst mode helps too.

phantasmal said:
One important tip to use a Lumix camera is to set the OIS at mode 2.
I would say that using high speed burst mode helps too.

Whats the different between mode 1 and 2 ya? i have tried but dont really see a different wor, can tell me.

Then hor when i half press the shutter button, the Lcd display this jitter alert (a red camera icon) what is it for? i read the manual liao but i still dont understand.

Thanks everyone for all yr help and advice, really appreciate it.

syous said:
Whats the different between mode 1 and 2 ya? i have tried but dont really see a different wor, can tell me.

Then hor when i half press the shutter button, the Lcd display this jitter alert (a red camera icon) what is it for? i read the manual liao but i still dont understand.

mode 1 : IS is on all the time
mode 2 : IS is on the moment you press the shutter

syous said:

Metalilan has explained it very well.
Many reviewers and users (me included) has tested both modes and mode 2 gives better quality most of the time. Mode 1 does give ur lcd a non jerky refresh thou.

the jitter alert is just to warn you that at this shuttle mode and not using tripod, you might get some shakes.

phantasmal said:
Metalilan has explained it very well.
Many reviewers and users (me included) has tested both modes and mode 2 gives better quality most of the time. Mode 1 does give ur lcd a non jerky refresh thou.

the jitter alert is just to warn you that at this shuttle mode and not using tripod, you might get some shakes.

Mode 1 is effective sometimes though. Just depends on the situation.

metallilan said:
Mode 1 is effective sometimes though. Just depends on the situation.

true.
not using zoom, mode 1 gave me better results on quite a few occasions.
long zoom, so far find that mode 2 is better.
but mode 1 on long zoom makes it easier to see and thus frame the shot.

phantasmal said:
true.
not using zoom, mode 1 gave me better results on quite a few occasions.
long zoom, so far find that mode 2 is better.
but mode 1 on long zoom makes it easier to see and thus frame the shot.

yeah. practicing how to hold the cam to eliminate handshakes also complements the IS ;)

metallilan said:
yeah. practicing how to hold the cam to eliminate handshakes also complements the IS ;)

yah its so easy to ignore the simple holding when u hav is but so so impt.
and burst helps too.
but u hav to spend time on choosing the sharper pic thou.
but its time well spent to me ^^

need a lot of time to practice, but it's worth... especially if u want to take macro shot, the first thing in mind is how to eliminate the shakes....

In my opinion, mode 2 is better most of time, except when ur hand shakes and cannot do anything about it... :D mode 2 also save a lot of battery life too...

Status
Not open for further replies.