Hello =), guys! need your help! thank u for your time

nicorn

May 4, 2011
hello! guys! is it better to combine raynox with 55-200mm? or 50mm 1.8d?

or is it better to combine 50mm with extension tube? (those ebay 1)

or 50mm with raynox250 n extension tube?

thanks for your time! i just want to skip macro lens and save some money =( im new to marco also.

oh ya! and is it better to mf? than af?

join one of the macro outings and ask nicely if can try out their gear. From there can make your own decisions.

At such extreme close range, if still can AF...very good liao.

u will have a hard time focusing with 50mm f1.8 and it is inflexible to do manual focusing with this lens.

for accuracy, always go with mf for macro shoots.

nicorn said:
hello! guys! is it better to combine raynox with 55-200mm? or 50mm 1.8d?

or is it better to combine 50mm with extension tube? (those ebay 1)

or 50mm with raynox250 n extension tube?

thanks for your time! i just want to skip macro lens and save some money =( im new to marco also.

oh ya! and is it better to mf? than af?

With a raynox plus a set of extension tubes it's almost half the price of a 2nd hand Tamron 90mm

Join our macro outings and you can use our gear. :)

join one of the macro outings and ask nicely if can try out their gear. From there can make your own decisions.

At such extreme close range, if still can AF...very good liao.

if i got the time i will go. the problem is cant as im working shift and most of the wkend i need to work. thats why im asking.

With a raynox plus a set of extension tubes it's almost half the price of a 2nd hand Tamron 90mm

hmm raynox cost 120? and extension only 20? even cheaper if i buy on ebay? erm so tamron its around 300plus? if its half the price of the 2 item i mentioned

nicorn said:
hmm raynox cost 120? and extension only 20? even cheaper if i buy on ebay? erm so tamron its around 300plus? if its half the price of the 2 item i mentioned

If you want extension tubes with AF capabilities then a set costs around $120, plus the $120 raynox, that's $240. Half the price of a 2nd hand Tamron 90mm

You can get all the 3 items under one roof. Check out ARTWORKFOTO ;)

If you want extension tubes with AF capabilities then a set costs around $120, plus the $120 raynox, that's $240. Half the price of a 2nd hand Tamron 90mm

i guess im getting the non af extension tube.... since i need to mf on marco too? sorry im new to macro

i guess im getting the non af extension tube.... since i need to mf on marco too? sorry im new to macro

yep. that cheapo extension tube won't AF, plus it will lock the 50mm to it's smallest aperture at F22 which is a pain because it means you need a good amount of light. i would try out the raynox first. if it doesn't do the trick for you with only the raynox, then try to add the extension tubes.

cheers!

(i got one of those cheapo ones, and it's a pain to use really)

I suggest raynox too, get a pre-owned one from BnS, it's around $90-$100

hmm i read some website it says its better to use on 50mm and above? so that it wont lock at f22? and G lens cannot be use also as it will lock it at f22 also? hmm so 50mm above means 51? haha

I suggest raynox too, get a pre-owned one from BnS, it's around $90-$100

yup i know =). did search for some using the search engine. thanks

nicorn said:
hmm i read some website it says its better to use on 50mm and above? so that it wont lock at f22? and G lens cannot be use also as it will lock it at f22 also? hmm so 50mm above means 51? haha

The issue here is that those $20 Ext tube does not have any electronics communication, hence u can't use on G lens tat does not have aperture ring as u depend on ur camera body to change aperture. I'm not sure if those tube allows u to set aperture manually on D lens.

Both raynox and Ext tube are best used on lens with focal length 50mm and above (55, 60, 85, 105, etc etc). I prefer raynox over Ext tube becos of lower profile and lesser loss of light for the same magnification. But at the same time it's much harder to use than Ext tube when it comes to focusing. Hard to explain y but u will know it when u try.

Last edited:
With the raynox, you will find that working distance between the lens and subject can be extremely close. Just to share my experience, MF with the raynox is no easy task. I love shooting insects and sometimes the short working distance is a downside as moving too close will scare them away. Right now, I considering an extension tube or a dedicated macro lens.

Don't sell away your raynox even when u move into dedicated macro lens, it's possible and I'd personally seen ppl using all raynox, ext tube with a dedicated macro lens all together.

With the raynox, you will find that working distance between the lens and subject can be extremely close. Just to share my experience, MF with the raynox is no easy task. I love shooting insects and sometimes the short working distance is a downside as moving too close will scare them away. Right now, I considering an extension tube or a dedicated macro lens.

that's why you need patience for macro :bsmilie:

hmm i think raynox is good enough for budget macro? hmm mind i ask is it better to use on 55-200mm? or 18-105?