Hello from a dSLR Newbie - keen to buy Pentax K-X

georgelimtc

Mar 13, 2009
Hi All...
Me a newbie & almost "0" knowledge (in dSLR technology)... after reading much about Pentax K-X and really thinking to buy one to begin my learning process in dSLR

btw. Just wondering any kind souls here mind recommend me a shop in SG to buy the K-X and best still, accompany me there to get the necessary & right stuffs ... Thank you.

Best Regards,
George

go mscolor web to get equote..
i guessed thats the best way.

Hi All...
Me a newbie & almost "0" knowledge (in dSLR technology)... after reading much about Pentax K-X and really thinking to buy one to begin my learning process in dSLR

btw. Just wondering any kind souls here mind recommend me a shop in SG to buy the K-X and best still, accompany me there to get the necessary & right stuffs ... Thank you.

Best Regards,
George

Why do you need someone to go with you?

Hi All...

Best Regards,
George

slr revolution.

for rough price, please refer to PRICE GUIDES section.

for the things other than camera itself, you can find out what you want to buy, then ask around the other shops in funan first, to get a idea of ballpark figures. alan photo, john 3:16, tk foto, cathay photo are in the vicinity.

Hi All...

Best Regards,
George

Congrats on your decision to get a K-x.I'm using that too:)

Most of us will get from shops like SLRR/OP/AP/Manly as they are one of the cheapest.You might wanna check the Pentax price guide for more info: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534146

Other accessories you'll need to get is 2 sets of AA batteries and a charger,dry cabinet,camera bag,filter bla bla bla.You might wanna check the pentax forums for more info:)

Hi All...

Best Regards,
George

Hi there

I got the Pentax K-x with "0" knowledge in photography whatsoever.

However, I'm enjoying the camera alot, and learning alot of stuff from the User Manual, from these forums.

Recommend go buy at SLRR @ Funan.

After getting the camera, some basic accessories you can consider are:
1) rechargeable AA batteries eg. Sanyo Eneloop
2) dry cabinet / dry box + silica gel to keep your camera in
3) bigger capacities SDHCs.

To all ..

Thanks for the prompt resp. Truly appreciated. I was at Penisular this evening and went into one of the shops (sorry ..can't remember the shop name, at level 1 - smaller shop ). A mid-age lady offered me the price below:

1. K-X body (Black)+ 18-55mm len + 4GB storage card at S$789.
2. K-X body (Black)+ Dual lens + 4GB storage card at S$1090

Anyhow, I will drop by Funan to check other shops (i.e .SLRR etc.)

Once again. Thanks ...
Regards,

is a dry box and a camera bag really a necessary?

i was given a free dry box when i bought a samsung digital camera 4yrs back,and there isnt any dial to control any temperature or humidity. it only have a metre to show the current humidity.is that okay if i keep a dslr there?

and for camera bag, erm is it okay if i just strap my dslr onto my neck, and carry it? hehe

im a newbie too.

tried canon 550D , nikon D90. pretty liked how the canon 550D felt in my hand. and it seems easier to use. hehe. however one thing the salesman from courts said made me think deep.

he told me that sony 330 has both autofocus motor and Image stabilizer (IS) built into the body,whereas for the nikon and canon, the IS are on the lens. that means more expensive lens in future to buy......

To all ..

Thanks for the prompt resp. Truly appreciated. I was at Penisular this evening and went into one of the shops (sorry ..can't remember the shop name, at level 1 - smaller shop ). A mid-age lady offered me the price below:

Once again. Thanks ...
Regards,

peninsula small shops can be sneaky...

To all ..

Once again. Thanks ...
Regards,

Is it opp CP?SLRR and OP will have better deal anyway...

i was given a free dry box when i bought a samsung digital camera 4yrs back,and there isnt any dial to control any temperature or humidity. it only have a metre to show the current humidity.is that okay if i keep a dslr there?

and for camera bag, erm is it okay if i just strap my dslr onto my neck, and carry it? hehe

im a newbie too.

tried canon 550D , nikon D90. pretty liked how the canon 550D felt in my hand. and it seems easier to use. hehe. however one thing the salesman from courts said made me think deep.

he told me that sony 330 has both autofocus motor and Image stabilizer (IS) built into the body,whereas for the nikon and canon, the IS are on the lens. that means more expensive lens in future to buy......

Short answer...Dry box/cabinet is NOT necessary.But it gives you an ease of mind to have one...

Its ok to hang your camera on your neck too but when you kena robbed don't come here and KPKB hor:nono:

Yes,Sony and Pentax has their IS built-in to their body.So?Many people are still using Canon/Nikon right?

You need to put your camera in there, and also put silica gel in there to suck up the moisture. Silica gel can be bought for around $5 for a year's supply... make sure you stick it in a microwave every time the gels turn pink.

Whatever floats your boat. What would you do if it rains? What would you do if there is strong wind at a beach you are at? How are you going to carry your extra lenses, and other accessories? A lens in every pocket? What happens if you.... you get the idea. But in the end, whether you get a camera bag or not, is totally up to you. Just like it is totally up to you if you want to wear clothing, when you leave your home.

Partially true. The same applies to Pentax K-x. In body IS and in body AF motor. And if you were looking at 550D, You ought to be looking at Sony A550 or Pentax K-x for similar performance class.

Last edited:
Hi there

I got the Pentax K-x with "0" knowledge in photography whatsoever.

However, I'm enjoying the camera alot, and learning alot of stuff from the User Manual, from these forums.

Finally we see one person that reads the User Manual! Applause! :thumbsup:

Short answer...Dry box/cabinet is NOT necessary.But it gives you an ease of mind to have one...

Its ok to hang your camera on your neck too but when you kena robbed don't come here and KPKB hor:nono:

Yes,Sony and Pentax has their IS built-in to their body.So?Many people are still using Canon/Nikon right?

ya that's the next question that comes into my mind. how come canon and nikon has so many users despite lens more ex, and body doesnt have the IS.hmm i suppose it has got to do with other aspect uh? so what exactly why are the nikon D90 or the canon D550 more popular than the sony alpha 330 and the pentax k-x?

ya that's the next question that comes into my mind. how come canon and nikon has so many users despite lens more ex, and body doesnt have the IS.hmm i suppose it has got to do with other aspect uh? so what exactly why are the nikon D90 or the canon D550 more popular than the sony alpha 330 and the pentax k-x?

it calls branding..

"my cat, dog, uncle, auntie, kor kor, jie jie, ah ma everyone say canon good because a lot of people use canon ar! then my granduncle, duck, chicken, little brother, elder sister tell me that nikon is good, cos many people use nikon ar!"

"got pro photographer with many gear (though i have never seen his pictures, but he got many gear so he must be pro) tell me that canon good! nikon good! got full frame upgrade! as a hobbyist i am not really sure whether i really need to spend so much money to get good pictures, but then he got many gear so i listen to him."

:angel::angel::angel::angel:

of course there are reasons.

but you look around long enough, you will realise that the main 2 reasons are above.

and all of the real reasons are kind of.. not so applicable for the frivolous hobbyist like most people in clubsnap.

Last edited:

N/C build their brand over the years..long history...just like how people associate Toyota with safe(not so anymore) and Cherry QQ as questionable(my own opinion only):bsmilie:

Hi All...

Best Regards,
George

I cannot accompany you because:
1)I am not familiar with KX
2)you are not a girl:bsmilie:

anyway, if you have checked the forum..read up...you will know the rough price and make sure you don't get con by getting any extra uselessly expensive equipment...everything will be fine....