Hello everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacSince92

Nov 3, 2009
I'm new to Club Snap. A short introduction on my experience:

Joined due to recent purchase of the D90 and would like to "learn" again. Started with film cameras way back in 1985 - Minolta X-300.
Got on to the X-700 a few years later, then a Dynax 8000i. Then the Nikon F75. Used some compact digital cameras, then wanted to move to SLR camera. Bought the D90 as the lenses that came with the F75 can be used on the D90.
Still reading up on the D90.
Any good info for flash photography for DSLRs? Just found out that flash photography on DSLRs are quite different from SLRs as the light level cannot be metered off the film (TTL metering).
Bought a Metz 48 AF-1 digital flash and experimenting it with the D90. Got some tips from www.kenrockell.com on flash photography...

Thanks & best regards.

hi hi hi...welcome

cheers

I'm new to Club Snap. A short introduction on my experience:

Joined due to recent purchase of the D90 and would like to "learn" again. Started with film cameras way back in 1985 - Minolta X-300.
Got on to the X-700 a few years later, then a Dynax 8000i. Then the Nikon F75. Used some compact digital cameras, then wanted to move to SLR camera. Bought the D90 as the lenses that came with the F75 can be used on the D90.
Still reading up on the D90.
Any good info for flash photography for DSLRs? Just found out that flash photography on DSLRs are quite different from SLRs as the light level cannot be metered off the film (TTL metering).
Bought a Metz 48 AF-1 digital flash and experimenting it with the D90. Got some tips from www.kenrockell.com on flash photography...

Thanks & best regards.

Hi! Welcome to Clubsnap!
It sounds like you're quite experienced with photography.

I'm curious about your point on flash photography being different between a DSLR and film SLR. The light level cannot be metered off the film? I'm sorry... I don't understand that point.
How do you meter light off the film?

Hello ZerocoolAstra,
In response to your question:
On film cameras, TTL (Through-The-Lens) metering actually measures light entering the lens and falling on the surface of the film. The light sensor is just in front of the film surface. For that sort of metering, you get very accurate measurement of light that falls on the film - the camera can then calculate the exact exposure required.
For DSLRs, (this info is new for me, so pardon me if I can't fully explain) what I understand is that the light sensor cannot measure the exposure as now the film is a CCD (digital) sensor, different from a film surface, so light cannot be measured accurately. So what happens is that when you are using flash, the camera actually sends a series of quick flashes too fast for our eyes to detect to measure the light, then the actual exposure takes place.

I'll try to explain if the above is not clear..

Thanks for your interest!

Welcome, if u r expert in film, then should had less problem crossing to digital..

Status
Not open for further replies.