Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie! I don't have a DSLR? Which camera shall I buy?

Edwin Francis said:
There is no defined SHUTTER LIMIT. Manufacturers can test their shutter mechanisms to certain numbers -- these are often mentioned in specs like MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) -- look it up if you want. That doesn't mean your camera will stop at or near that number. Some go on 2-3 times (or more!) the MTBF, a few die in the first few exposures (lookup Bathtub Curve too, if you can be bothered), most last somewhere in between.
When your shutter fails, have it replaced. If you have to replace it after 50,000 exposures (a reasonable MTBF for modern DSLRs), you will hopefully have gained so much experience and skill that you will consider the cost well worth spending. Or just buy a new body.

And in 20 years you'll probably have moved on to new, better, faster etc cameras many times over. The ports, batteries and even memory cards we're using now may no longer be supported! The first digital camera I used (a 1996 Sony) used 3.5" floppy disks -- I don't even have a drive for those anymore.

Stop worrying about minor inconsequential things. Go out and shoot!

Thanks! My camera specs said tested to 100,000 shutter count. So I guess I can expect to use it for about 5 years if average 500 exposures per week. Probably more in future. I guess in 3-4 years time I'd have moved on to a new body. Luckily lens does not have aperture leaf exposure life as well. Otherwise have to replace lens. Haha !

Same old topic.So bore.Which brand,lens and etc...bah...bah....bah....For many years topic still never change and yet still asking.You guys never do your homework.Did you guys especially newbie got ask around at the camera shop or check around or even ask about the price.
Whether can afford to purchase the camera or other items.

lol....dont take the numbers too seriously..if it decide to die on you..it will..somehow or rather..

If not...most go gaga over..how much shutter it can go/how many year it can last him/her after doing the maths..etc etc. Problem is after 2 or 3 years..Once the new camera is announced..BBB... When first bought..many say they wont..in the end..not many survived. True story..

:bsmilie:

Thanks for the reply everybody!! I'll try to answer all.

I choose Canon for sentimental reasons. Long ago, I was president of a photographic society in junior college. I used a Canon AE-1. So I just want to rekindle my hobby of photography.

I don't have a camera now. I would like to take photos of people and nature. The basic package comes with a 18-70mm zoom. Do I need to buy a flash?

How do I go about learning how to take good photos? Join one of your photography outings? Join a society?

Thanks in advance

I like Canon because I don't like Nikon. I once bought a point and shoot Nikon and it spoilt very quickly. I don't have a DSLR before so I want to get one. I was photographic society president because the girls like me, they enjoy my dark room sessions (pls lah, its not what you think).

How long do you think a 600D will last before it dies?

Bro why not continue shooting using your AE-1, buy films not mega pixel. You can save money to buy photography books. I would recommend ansel adams trilogy: the camera, the negative, and the print.

Shoot using 1 lens (e.g 50mm) for the whole year. I believe in one year, you'll achieve more than knowledge in buying selling camera, noise/af comparison, counting shutter life, etc. Unless... your hobby is really in buying/selling camera/lens and not in photography itself.

Frankly... I don't see why TS cannot be a president of the photographic society in Junior College. There are pretty large different between using a film camera to a DSLR and some of the terms we used in DSLR nowadays are not the same as film camera. Plus, the functioning of today's DSLR can be pretty confusing to people that are used to film.

It seems you over exaggerate things here. It's same light, same triangle exposure, same visualization, how large are the differences?

Same old topic.So bore.Which brand,lens and etc...bah...bah....bah....For many years topic still never change and yet still asking.You guys never do your homework.Did you guys especially newbie got ask around at the camera shop or check around or even ask about the price.
Whether can afford to purchase the camera or other items.

I did! But the salesman ignored me because I reach their maximum capacity of asking questions. Its time to buy after 10 questions.

I did! But the salesman ignored me because I reach their maximum capacity of asking questions. Its time to buy after 10 questions.

this salesman is quite good actually,limits customers to 10 questions so that they will ask useful questions. when 10 questions is up, the next customer gets some attention time

Ya you did went there and what did you ask the sale man.Is is stupid question. If so_Of course the sale man will ignore.

This is not true.who don't want sale commission + basic pay.

Must ask the correct question and ready to buy new DSLR. Not keep on asking question and not buying camera or other item from the shop.

get the 600D. used properly and lovingly, it will give you many great images and last a long time.

buy from any of the reputable camera shops listed in clubsnap's buying guide.

Its the tension from getting the first DSLR , everyone gets it especially if using their own money to buy it.

Good luck, TS.

You should do your research *before* you step into the shop. Do NOT depend on salesmen for research!!

Check the door again, do you see there any sign of "Camera Consulting" or "Photography Teaching Services"? If not, it's just a plain shop where the only thing that matters is price to you and profit for the sales man. The sales man will only confirm what is obvious and what could lead to a straight sale of equipment. Fundamental questions will either be ignored or answered by pushing you to the next best model on stock with the highest sales margin. The more unknowing (or naive) you are, the more additional but unnecessary stuff is offered you (lenses, filters, bags, tripods).

There are many who ask 2000 questions and then go to the shop next door cos its $1 cheaper.

Until the day we appreciate service and actually pay for it, don't demand customer service that you've never paid for.

Did what? the salesman may notice you are not asking the key questions and by answering your questions may not making you buy a camera from them, so just simply ignore you.

do you realise most the questions you asked, can be found in the sticky threads of newbies corners? (your previous posts in this thread.)

and we have price guild section, you can find out the price, stores' names and contacts, call or email them to check latest price and stocks without step into their stores.

Hehe. When I saw the thread content, sure kanna jialat one from the Lao jiaos. Hehe. But honestly after replying another thread and keep giving comments, sometimes can be quite infuriating too. Sometimes wonder whether the lad really got Google, walkaround and ask or just expect to be spoonfed. Sorry ahh TS, I don't mean you.

Anyway, TS, have you bought your camera yet? If haven't then go to funan and peninsula There got at least 5 shops, so that is 50 questions. Tk, slrr, john316, alan and CP.

Then make your choice there and then. Remember before you go, have in mind what you want to shoot with your dslr. Landscapes, street, kids, family, girlfriend, fashion, to sling and look cool only, etc. I'm sure by end of the day, you will know the answer. Still dunno then come back here and ask more. By then everyone will continue to help, cause you did your part.

There are many who ask 2000 questions and then go to the shop next door cos its $1 cheaper.

so true!

some poor salesman have to face hundreds of shoppers everyday, answer questions with a smile and may finally lose the business to the next door shop because the price is just a few dollars cheaper.

the lucky salesman next did nothing but gain from the previous salesman

You should do your research *before* you step into the shop. Do NOT depend on salesmen for research!!

fastest way to become carrot cake.

It seems you over exaggerate things here. It's same light, same triangle exposure, same visualization, how large are the differences?

Yes. It is the same light, same triangle exposure, same theory in composing your photo. What I meant about large differences is that a film camera don't function the same as the DSLR. There are differences. Some people can jump right into it... some find it confusing.

I know of quite a few old school photographers that just couldn't get it with the DSLR and need pretty long learning time, which is perfectly alright.

Yes. It is the same light, same triangle exposure, same theory in composing your photo. What I meant about large differences is that a film camera don't function the same as the DSLR. There are differences. Some people can jump right into it... some find it confusing.

I know of quite a few old school photographers that just couldn't get it with the DSLR and need pretty long learning time, which is perfectly alright.

There are some people who make the switch by shutting everything off (all set to auto) and play with only S, A, Exp Comp, DoF preview, ...
Some simply got lost in the software menu of digital SLR.
White balance, auto ISO, DR of sensor, histogram, etc.. just wasnt available on film cameras those days.

While there is substantial learning curve in transitioning from film to digital (from my experience). ... the basics of exposure triangle is one important aspects of photography consistent in both film and digital. ...
I find that older folks who adapt poorly to IT stuff will find the transitioning really tough. For those who can relate IT to photography, the transition will be smooth.