Hello everybody! Camera choice help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tootboink

Oct 29, 2009
Hello everyone! I am new here and i just want to say hello!

May i start off with a question?

I am about to buy a DSLR. I have been researching for about two months, and i narrowed down the ones that realistically suit my needs as well as level of expertise. I have a 1k budget, and i am choosing the Nikon D40, Nikon D3000, or the Canon 1000D.

Can you give me any person comments/opinions on the three? No need to include links to comparisons like dpreview, thank you, for i have seen and compared them =)

Feel free to draw my attention to other brands too! I am open to ideas.

Really appreciate your help!

As a side question, can we still buy new D40s in singapore?

Go get second hand D70(s), D80... you can autofocus with cheaper AF-D lens (because they have in-body motor). The two Nikon models you have there can only autofocus on AF-S lenses.

Hello, tootboink. Firstly a very warm welcome to you.
May I ask - have you gone down to any camera shop to hold these cameras and have a feel how they hold in your hands?
It seems that you have read all the reviews there are. That's good.
Now it is the time to get practical. Go on and give it a try. No obligation to buy yet.
Then as you play around, start thinking about the advice wkteoh has given you about the finer details...
I think this will give you a better understanding of not only the camera but your own preference.
My humble opinion.

I am about to buy a DSLR. I have been researching for about two months, and i narrowed down the ones that realistically suit my needs as well as level of expertise. I have a 1k budget, and i am choosing the Nikon D40, Nikon D3000, or the Canon 1000D.

Can you give me any person comments/opinions on the three? No need to include links to comparisons like dpreview, thank you, for i have seen and compared them =)

$1000 budget for just the camera or for the whole camera system?

if $1000 for the camera then there is plenty for you to choose from. Check out the PriceGuides and then search online to find out which models features you like and then after highlight a few can go to the shops to try.

The D40 has been replaced....check out the D3000 and the D5000. But i am guessing there might be a couple of shops still having the stock unless Nikon has a local buyback program for EOL goods.

Last edited:
And have you checked Sony, Olympus and Pentax? They have very good cameras at a low price, which should help you stretch your 1k budget even further.

thanks wkteoh and limwhow! hmm i have not thought of the D70s or D80 path! that is certainly something i can consider.

i will go to a shop to get a good feel of the camera's first. are there any shops that you can recommend that are reliable and have good service?

reportage - my budget is around $1000 for the entire set. it's not cast in stone, but around that region would be good :D

and rashkae - i narrowed down my brands to nikon or canon because of their heritage, and cos of the wide range of lens they have in the family! i did check out Sony as well though - are you refering to the Alpha series?

and rashkae - i narrowed down my brands to nikon or canon because of their heritage, and cos of the wide range of lens they have in the family! i did check out Sony as well though - are you refering to the Alpha series?

Yes. And it builds on the Minolta heritage. ;)

Sure, they have a lot of lenses... But will you really need them all?

thanks wkteoh and limwhow! hmm i have not thought of the D70s or D80 path! that is certainly something i can consider.

i will go to a shop to get a good feel of the camera's first. are there any shops that you can recommend that are reliable and have good service?

reportage - my budget is around $1000 for the entire set. it's not cast in stone, but around that region would be good :D

AFAIK a camera company that has heritage is Pentax
http://www.nanites.co.uk/history of early pentax.htm

90+yr company; 1st Japanese SLR; World's first instant return mirror system; 1st use of pentaprism in the viewfinder; World's first TTL (through-the-lens) exposure metering system; world's first SLR camera with a through-the-lens (TTL) aperture-priority (AE) control
http://www.photoxels.com/history_pentax.html

Great value for money.
The new Pentax Kx is just under 1k with 18-55mm Kit lens.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593141

Want lenses? All K mount lenses ever produced for the Pentax K mount is usable and the cameras are designed with manual focus in mind as well. Many are cheap and good, and there are legendary ones as well.

KEY FEATURES

* High resolution 12.4 megapixel CMOS image sensor features sensor-shift Shake Reduction for stabilized image and video capture up to 4 stops max.
* Large 2.7 inch LCD features Live View with contrast, phase difference, and Face Detection autofocus (up to 16 faces).
* Capture widescreen HD video in full 720p resolution (1280×720) at 24 FPS cinematic framerate, using any PENTAX 35mm lens.
* Highly compact DSLR body design allows for 1 handed operation and comfort when travelling.
* Powerful automatic modes, including PENTAX Auto Picture and scene modes, ensure the perfect shot in any situation, while helping new photographers learn DSLR photography.
* Creative processing and filter modes produce high quality finished images, while offering the ability to explore artistic freedom through unique special effects.
* True HDR image capture blends 3 bracketed images into a single picture with outstanding shadow, highlight, and midrange detail.
* Fast 4.7 FPS capture speed and 1/6000 second maximum shutter speeds are possible with the PENTAX PRIME II image processing engine.
* Responsive 11 point wide angle SAFOX VIII autofocus system focuses quickly and accurately, and can easily track moving subjects.
* Capture up to 1900 shots with universally available, easy-to-find AA lithium batteries (also compatible with AA NiMH rechargeable and alkaline batteries).
* Expanded ISO range covers sensitivities from 100-12800

Alright, end here. I sound like a salesman already :D

Last edited:
rashkae - i narrowed down my brands to nikon or canon because of their heritage, and cos of the wide range of lens they have in the family! i did check out Sony as well though - are you refering to the Alpha series?

If the selection of lens is a concern, why are u choosing d40 and d3000? Those 2 models don hv build in focus motor.

Nikon has many different types of auto focus lenses. They are AF, AF-D, AF-I, AF-S and G lenses. Among the above autofocus lenses, only af-s and some (not all) af-I lenses has autofocus motor build into the lens body.

Nearly all Nikon dslr has focus motor in their body, thus those models can use all af lens. However the d40 and d3000 don hv focus motor, thus they are limited to only Af-s and selected number of af-i lens. What's the point of having a large catalog of lenses, when the camera is not compatible with most of them?

In this cases, I think any Sony alphas will also hv much more lens to choose from compared to the d40 and d3000. I'm not familiar with pentax but I won't be surprised if pentax dslr has more lenses to choose from compared to the d40 and d3000 as well.

If u wanna get a Nikon, buy a model with focus motor. Not only will u hv access to the full range of af lens, it will also save u money in the long run.

Last edited:

welcome to CS.
Are you the kind of person (or can you imagine yourself to be) that has the unending urge to buy more and more accessories for your photography?
I'm referring to the BBB virus here... it's pretty poisonous.

Also, are you intending to be really serious in this hobby, or you basically want something with more performance than a compact PnS or prosumer?

the reason I ask is that most DSLR users seem to use only the kit lens. Thus, buying a D3000 or D40 should pose no hindrance to you.
For a budget set-up, I'd take the D40/D60/D3000 kit over any of the rivals, even though they might lose in a specs comparison. To me (and I stress... that's MY opinion), I much prefer Nikon ergonomics.

Last edited:
Be sure to check out Sony and Olympus cameras as well. Sony are coming out with pretty good cameras that is within your price range.

In regards to heritage, it doesn't mean squat. Having a long history does not mean it's the best in the business. Even more so with electronics. US Robotics was one of the most famous modem manufacturer, and was merged with 3Com. Where is 3com in the modem business now? There are many such examples of how having heritage does not equate to having a good product.

THANK YOU pinholecam and android17!!! you have certainly opened my eyes towards this aspect of the camera - the AF lenses - i hadn't considered this far before.

and android17 - primarily the range of lens is not a concern for me at this very moment.. but when i advance, currently i am intending to advance along the Nikon line. thus i felt it would be better to start of from a beginner's Nikon so i can get a taste of it. is that logical thinking or am i thinking in the wrong direction?

pinholecam - So for the upcoming KX, does it have the autofocus motor in the body? I saw the pictures in the link you provided.. am rather drooling over the white one! Omg.. it also
seems to trump the D3000 in more ways than one! Am i right to say this?

zerocoolastra - i am intending to be serious in this =D but i do not think i will be able to upgrade anytime soon as i am still studying - in fact i have spent months saving and researching for the one suitable for me. hence i want to make a decision that i will be happy with!

keefy and Rashkae - i never checked out Olympus.. but i do know the alpha series is very budget friendly. The A330 has like the specs of the D5000 but it is so much cheaper. is there a plus point of the sony or olympus over the nikon and pentax?

pinholecam - So for the upcoming KX, does it have the autofocus motor in the body? I saw the pictures in the link you provided.. am rather drooling over the white one! Omg.. it also
seems to trump the D3000 in more ways than one! Am i right to say this?

Yes, all Pentax DSLR have focus motor on camera. I list a few more (other than those I mentioned before):
1. Shake Reduction on body
2. Dust removal
3. Actual spot metering (not some large circle metering which some brands put in just to differentiate between their higher and lower end models)
4. Seldom mentioned, but a good 96% coverage viewfinder (x0.86 magnification) (just compare to other entry level )

This is what I like about Pentax. The wealth of features on even their so called entry level models. No purposely nerfed features to differentiate their higher and lower end models. Some features will bound to be lacking compared to the higher end body, but these are real cost factors and not marketing driven 'circumcisions'

You sure you only like white? :D
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575832&page=3
just scroll down a little from the link...... ;)

The info right now is it going to be here this Wed

Last edited:
keefy and Rashkae - i never checked out Olympus.. but i do know the alpha series is very budget friendly. The A330 has like the specs of the D5000 but it is so much cheaper. is there a plus point of the sony or olympus over the nikon and pentax?

Well, the Sony, (most) Olympus and Pentax have built-in image stabilizer. On the Nikon you'd need VR lenses. They also have an in-body AF motor, so you get AF with all lenses. On the Nikon, you need AF-S or AF-I lenses if you want autofocus. The Sony A330 has full-speed autofocus in Liveview mode too.

As mentioned, Sony Olympus and Pentax DSLRs mostly comes with image stabaliser and focus motor. With a build in stabaliser, they can use all lenses and it automatically performs like an IS lens.

Nikons and Canons do not have build in stabaliser in them, thus when buying lens, they will hv to decide on whether they wanna buy a lens with stabaliser or not. Of cos lens with stabaliser will cost you more. So in the long run, if u keep buying lens and each lens u buy stabaliser, it will add up alot more in the cost.

Same issue with focus motor. U pay more for lens which has build in focus motor compared with its similar counterparts without. So add up the above 2 factor and figure out how much $$$ it will cost in the years to come.

Im not sure how much a lens with stabaliser will cost compared to one without for nikon and camera. But a tamron 17-50 (Canon and Nikon mounts) without stabaliser cost around $600, and one with stabaliser cost nearly $900 i think. Just one example for you to consider. Some lens can even cost double the price for stabaliser version compared to non stabaliser version.

If you do really want a Nikon, i'll just advice u to skip the D3000 and get a 2nd hand D90.

This is an old post i made with regards to comparison between D3000 and Sony A330.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5526064#post5526064

The Nikon D3000 was my initial choice. Like you, i did not even considered a Sony / Pentax / Olympus DSLR before. My mind was to buy a Nikon, and the D3000 was within my budget. It wasnt until I researched further then i realised that Sony, Pentax and Olympus entry level DSLRs are more value for money.

Canon and Nikon are still the top DSLR at the professional level, this there is no dispute IMO. But at the entry level, this is where the Sony, Pentax and Olympus shines. The Nikon and Canon entry level just dont offer enough to justify their cost, compared to the other 3 smaller DSLR makers

PS: The above post is purely my personal opinion. TS, you may base my research and then form your opinion before making a decision.

PPS: Not sure if you know this, but Sony Alphas can use ALL minolta AF lenses (since Sony and Minolta's Alpha mount is exactly the same). And this is a big big catalog. For more info u can ask in the dedicated Sony Alpha section in club snap. Or check out http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp for a large catalog of lens that Sony Alphas can use.

Last edited:

Hello tootboink, l'm a newbie too!. You may try this shop at
3 Coleman Street#01-06 Pennisula Plaza - The Camera Workshop. When l was there, without any hesitation or obligation.They let you test shot and let you have a good feel of the camera. They are very reliable and their services:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
This is where I bought my first Canon 50D, 18-200mm and Tokina 11-16mm lenses.

pinholecam - omg that series of colours is simply mind-blasting!! i love some of the combinations.. The brown and the whites are amazing but the rest of the too-bright colours make the dslr look like toys don't you think ;p

android17 - i read your comparison of the functions between Nikon D3000 vs Sony A330. And i must say it is utmost enlightening. I know the D3000 body is lacking in the departments that you mentioned in the post - but i didn't consider the consequences of them! Cos if you understand what i am considering right now, buying a second, better lens is not among my considerations at the moment. But i do understand in time to come i will be buying more lenses and then i will have to make my decisions based on the body of the camera - thanks for letting me know about it.

rashkae - yours and android17's kind, patient explanations have almost convinced me NOT to get the D3000 already - DAMN, am i fickle or what. Dang you guys, i thought i already had my answer in the D3000 after 2 months of research :bsmilie:

android17 said - "Canon and Nikon are still the top DSLR at the professional level, this there is no dispute IMO. But at the entry level, this is where the Sony, Pentax and Olympus shines. The Nikon and Canon entry level just dont offer enough to justify their cost, compared to the other 3 smaller DSLR makers".

I think that makes a lot of sense. The A330 has specs comparable to the D5000. The Pentax is comparable to the D90 specs-wise also. But the costs! What great disparity in them! Is that a lesson for all of us to learn?

Ah, i just might be choosing between the A330 and the KX now. I am convinced that Canon and Nikon are the best for higher-level photography, but that is a decision i will make again when i reach that stage.

There is one thing that we cannot tell from the specs of a camera - that is like for example, i heard Canon gives more vibrant pictures as compared to the rest. Is that true? If so, what is the Nikon's feature and the Pentax's and the Sony's? Do the Pentax and the Sony lose out in this aspect?

I know this might be shallow thinking - but i always hear of Nikon and Canon and much less of Pentax and Sony for DSLRS - as such my impression for Nikon and Canon is, to be honest, a lot a lot better for Sony and Canon. Reliability wise, quality wise also. Have i been wrong all these while...

p.s. thanks SereneXMM!! ATM i don't even know of a place i can go to try out cameras. I will definitely make that place one of my stops when i begin to go down to test-drive :)

p.p.s thank you all. i am learning a lot here.. my goodness :):)

so you've seen dpreview.

so you should also realise it is your choice.

my advice is head down to the shops, try it out. i'm sure people before me have said that already.

we can say 8000 things, 8000 pros 8000 cons. doesn't matter, at the end of the day, decision is still yours, why keep seeking other people's opinions when they are not you?

keep in mind that in this day and age, most cameras are decent, there is limited technology gap. only compromise.

pinholecam - omg that series of colours is simply mind-blasting!! i love some of the combinations.. The brown and the whites are amazing but the rest of the too-bright colours make the dslr look like toys don't you think ;p

android17 - i read your comparison of the functions between Nikon D3000 vs Sony A330. And i must say it is utmost enlightening. I know the D3000 body is lacking in the departments that you mentioned in the post - but i didn't consider the consequences of them! Cos if you understand what i am considering right now, buying a second, better lens is not among my considerations at the moment. But i do understand in time to come i will be buying more lenses and then i will have to make my decisions based on the body of the camera - thanks for letting me know about it.

rashkae - yours and android17's kind, patient explanations have almost convinced me NOT to get the D3000 already - DAMN, am i fickle or what. Dang you guys, i thought i already had my answer in the D3000 after 2 months of research :bsmilie:

android17 said - "Canon and Nikon are still the top DSLR at the professional level, this there is no dispute IMO. But at the entry level, this is where the Sony, Pentax and Olympus shines. The Nikon and Canon entry level just dont offer enough to justify their cost, compared to the other 3 smaller DSLR makers".

I think that makes a lot of sense. The A330 has specs comparable to the D5000. The Pentax is comparable to the D90 specs-wise also. But the costs! What great disparity in them! Is that a lesson for all of us to learn?

Ah, i just might be choosing between the A330 and the KX now. I am convinced that Canon and Nikon are the best for higher-level photography, but that is a decision i will make again when i reach that stage.

There is one thing that we cannot tell from the specs of a camera - that is like for example, i heard Canon gives more vibrant pictures as compared to the rest. Is that true? If so, what is the Nikon's feature and the Pentax's and the Sony's? Do the Pentax and the Sony lose out in this aspect?

I know this might be shallow thinking - but i always hear of Nikon and Canon and much less of Pentax and Sony for DSLRS - as such my impression for Nikon and Canon is, to be honest, a lot a lot better for Sony and Canon. Reliability wise, quality wise also. Have i been wrong all these while...

p.s. thanks SereneXMM!! ATM i don't even know of a place i can go to try out cameras. I will definitely make that place one of my stops when i begin to go down to test-drive :)

p.p.s thank you all. i am learning a lot here.. my goodness :):)

ermm marketing marketing and herd mentality is what canon and nikon is about. Just because everyone at a point in time said that the world is square does not means it was. Trust yourself rather than the hollow words of some marketeer/peer. Go to the various lesser known camera system forums here and read/decide for yourself

I am a pentaxian and you will be surprised how much better pentax entry/mid range perform compared to same from Canikon. You get the same performance for like 50-60% off the price you pay for all those that make Canikon famous advertising I do not think the photos from pentax are less vibrant compared to Canikon. Just take a look at the technical picture gallery of the forum.

Last edited:

believe me, unless you are going to be a professional sports photographer, you don't need the top end models of canon or nikon.

anyways, for vibrance issue, i don't really see much of a difference between any brands. vibrant pictures are to do with light, technique, understanding; not the tool you use. you can look at my gallery, these are taken with pentax cameras, namely k100d and k20d, not top end. other than lomography gallery, of course.

http://www.pbase.com/night86mare

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.