Hello, can you help us take a picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that seems to be the case. They probably assume the photos taken by people holding dslrs are able to produce better photos.:sweat:
Take it as a compliment, bros. They have faith in you as a stranger to produce good pictures for them. Otherwise we won't have invested so much money into buying a DSLR right? :bsmilie:

What irks me most when asking other people to help take a photo of me & friends is that they don't fill the frame, or the people are off-centre. Duh. ;( This happens even when using a PnS, not to mention DSLR. I think some of the suggestions in the thread are worth exploring.

When I go on trips with friends and need a picture of myself, I usually ask my friend to pose first so that I could precompose, prefocus and preset everything. I'll hen take a pic of him/her, trade places, and show him/her on the LCD what I would like my picture to look like, before passing over the camera.

... but somehow, the results always ended up different from what I want. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Yeah, that seems to be the case. They probably assume the photos taken by people holding dslrs are able to produce better photos.:sweat:

Though that's not necessarily the case. Last time I asked a guy carrying a Nikon D200 and 70-200 f/2.8 to take a group photo for us standing infront of a scenic landscape, the horizon was tilted :/ He was using my Canon DSLR. Maybe he only knows how to frame through a Nikon viewfinder :confused:

Put full auto and with flash head popped up so that he wont click too fast with flash halfway, and of course telling him to half click first to focus :bsmilie:

Though that's not necessarily the case. Last time I asked a guy carrying a Nikon D200 and 70-200 f/2.8 to take a group photo for us standing infront of a scenic landscape, the horizon was tilted :/ He was using my Canon DSLR. Maybe he only knows how to frame through a Nikon viewfinder :confused:

Haha..don't tell me it was the guy at Ubin with monster lenses..

use normal/wide lens and self-shoot like a chick with phone-camera.

use normal/wide lens and self-shoot like a chick with phone-camera.

upz for this method :thumbsup:

the kit lens can perform beautifully when used like this ;)
(of course, the ears of the people in the frame will disappear behind their heads :sweatsm:)

That true! They somehow have the impression that people with DSLR take better photograph..

Also, when you deploy tripod, people assume thats the best place to take.

Another way is to use an ultra-wide or fisheye. Self-take the pictures.

Just make sure the humans are in the centre of the frame.

Very simple.

1. Buy a tripod.
  2. Mount your camera on it.
  3. Set self-timer.
  4. Run.

There you go. :thumbsup:

5) Watch as your tripod + camera gets grabbed by thief
6) Run after thief

5) Watch as your tripod + camera gets grabbed by thief
6) Run after thief

lesson learnt: get MF system plus super heavy tripod.. :bsmilie:

Agreed. I brought a tripod to my dad's birthday dinner because I wanted to avoid asking people to help us take picture. In the end, realised I left my plate in my drybox and still had to ask the waitress AFTER setting up the tripod.

For some reason, nobody know whats what a view finder is and always give me a puzzled look and stare at the blank LCD. I switched to Liveview for her sake but the pictures all came out OOF because I forgot to tell her must press the * button to focus.

Protip: Get a Gorillapod tripod from Cathay!

if the person who ask me to help take a pic, i ask them if dun mind i take a few for them. digicam shoot more won't hurt wallet wan.

zoom in/out, center pose, off centre poses, landscape or portrait mode all can (as long as i not in a hurry). :cool:

Hardly possible I think, considering I bought my entire system less than 2 months ago haha.

Anyway, back to the topic, it also takes a bit more time than I like to have to explain to people where the shutter button is, that they have to look through a tiny hole instead of at the LCD, halfpress for focus, turn ring for zoom etc, so normally I just exclude myself from the group picture and take the picture myself. So much faster and better! Downside is that I'm never in pictures because friends' PnS will all be hidden away in shame at my big batt-grip-sized enhanced SLR!

Status
Not open for further replies.