hello. can someone recommend me a good starter lens?

roboter22

Jan 29, 2010
I currently have a 18-55 and a 55-250 using canon

That would be enough for a start then maybe you can add a 50mm 1.8

The kit lenses that you have now are good starter lenses

as a starter, kit lenses are good enough for the meantime... happy shooting, welcome to the club! :)

Agree with jed091270, can get a low price 50mm f1.8 prime to play around w/ DOF..

BBB 17-40L 70-200L with these, u never need to buy again!.

Welcome to CS :)

What you have now is good enough to start off. Go shoot more & perfect your skill & later see which area of photography you are more interested in then decide on the lens that suit your needs ;)

I have a brand new 550D with the same 18-55mm & 55-250mm as roboter22

how about adding on an EF-S 10-22mm? i believe this lens plus above would be perfect to cover from superwide(16mm) to telephoto(400mm) after 1.6x crop.
Saw that Canon sells at S$1350 for this lens. anyone knows how much CP or AP is selling this for?

Is 50mm that great? i feel its very restrictive after the crop factor. good for portraits only?

The lenses you mentioned are good enough. You're always free to supplement them with the more exotic L lenses, for instance!

Is 50mm that great? i feel its very restrictive after the crop factor. good for portraits only?

50mm on a cropped body is 80mm... which is good for half body protrait.

if you find it too restrictive, you can always go for a 35mm f2.8 :p

BBB 17-40L 70-200L with these, u never need to buy again!.

If only the cure for BBB is so simple. :)

To TS, have you tried the lenses you have already? Let us know if they don't suit your needs, then others can give better advices.

kit lens is good enough :D ~

and it can cause wonders too :D ~