Hello All... newbie to photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

niunai

Jul 28, 2008
Hello everyone...
i am a newbie to photography and dslr. have been reading all the threads, guides and articles in CS.
i am planning to buy magazines for newbies like me. do you all think it is a good investment? or just reading from CS and websites is sufficient?
i have not buy any dslr yet, because i wish to do enough research b4 i invest my money... hoping not to make the wrong choice.... haha
but i think every photographer will be able to learn more from shooting instead of extensive reading. what do all of you reckon?

Hello everyone...
i am a newbie to photography and dslr. have been reading all the threads, guides and articles in CS.
i am planning to buy magazines for newbies like me. do you all think it is a good investment? or just reading from CS and websites is sufficient?
i have not buy any dslr yet, because i wish to do enough research b4 i invest my money... hoping not to make the wrong choice.... haha
but i think every photographer will be able to learn more from shooting instead of extensive reading. what do all of you reckon?

yes best to have a cam for practical use and gauge yourself if you are going to dig deeper..if first time, best to buy entry level cam so you can focus and concentrate on the basics, then if you outgrow, buy the semi pro then pro..here's how I classify for nikon:

1. entry level (d40,d60,d3k,d5k) - most settings set to auto, few buttons to simplify things and not overwhelm you, a few settings you set yourself to experiment

2. semi pro (d90,d300) - most settings you set yourself, more shortcut buttons for faster setting change, just a few things set to auto

3. pro (full frame cams) - full manual, everything you want to control yourself

but if you are confident of your skills and learning curve can go straight to semi pro or pro..

Hello...welcome.

While reading will give you some basic knowledge, putting it into practise will enable you to see the results instantly and learn faster. You do not need a DSLR to take good pictures. Practise with a simple compact camera on the composition and note the difference in exposures first. Of course a camera with manual settings will allow you to learn much faster too.

There are tons of info via the web or in the library for your reading pleasure, not really necesssary to buy magazines.

Hello...welcome.

While reading will give you some basic knowledge, putting it into practise will enable you to see the results instantly and learn faster. You do not need a DSLR to take good pictures. Practise with a simple compact camera on the composition and note the difference in exposures first. Of course a camera with manual settings will allow you to learn much faster too.

There are tons of info via the web or in the library for your reading pleasure, not really necesssary to buy magazines.

Agree with Galdor. Practice makes perfect.

Hello everyone...

Hi,
Click on the link below for Camera E-Magazine

http://content.yudu.com/A1ihn9/BDPW...referrerUrl=http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/

You can save the E-Magazine into your offline PC to view.

Suitable for newbies to learn SLR ... Enjoy.. :D

LCC,

thanks for the link.

yes best to have a cam for practical use and gauge yourself if you are going to dig deeper..if first time, best to buy entry level cam so you can focus and concentrate on the basics, then if you outgrow, buy the semi pro then pro..here's how I classify for nikon:

1. entry level (d40,d60,d3k,d5k) - most settings set to auto, few buttons to simplify things and not overwhelm you, a few settings you set yourself to experiment

2. semi pro (d90,d300) - most settings you set yourself, more shortcut buttons for faster setting change, just a few things set to auto

3. pro (full frame cams) - full manual, everything you want to control yourself

but if you are confident of your skills and learning curve can go straight to semi pro or pro..

Actually i have been considering a few entry level of dslr, including d60 and d3000, canon 450d. but i have been reading through most of the threads and some of the CSers are recommending to get D90 because of the AF, and D90 will allow those with budget constraint to save more in the long run. of course there are more benefits and functions getting a d90 for that price. so i am still in the process of considering. But of course, it is best to go to some retailers to try out the grip of dslr as i have big hands. thanks for ur recommendation.

Hello...welcome.

yup... the internet provide almost everything you need and you can find alot of information on the internet. i was browsing the market place in CS and found that the magazine MO provide by RedDotPhoto was in hot demand. so was thinking of getting them to practise all the tricks and technique for photography. thanks for your reply.

Hi,
Click on the link below for Camera E-Magazine

http://content.yudu.com/A1ihn9/BDPW...referrerUrl=http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/

You can save the E-Magazine into your offline PC to view.

Suitable for newbies to learn SLR ... Enjoy.. :D

Thanks alot... this is really new to me, i will take time to read them since i just finished my exam... =D

Welcome to CS...:cool:

Buy a cam and start shooting...you will more

Reading and asking without a cam you will sure gain more knowledge on Theory wise.. But understanding theory and have no practical experience, is also not correct. I am sure any Pros here will agree that by understanding theory by reading through magazines and forum, you will not even understand a single thing cos you need to try in practically. Then you will understand more clearer and precise..

Reading and asking without a cam you will sure gain more knowledge on Theory wise.. But understanding theory and have no practical experience, is also not correct. I am sure any Pros here will agree that by understanding theory by reading through magazines and forum, you will not even understand a single thing cos you need to try in practically. Then you will understand more clearer and precise..

yup... i totally agree with ur opinion... practising is very important. just like math! i am still saving and doing research so i can make the correct purchase. cos cameras, lens and other accessories are not cheap. in addition i am just a student.

if you're not willing to spend $ on magazines, there's always the library ;)

i never thought of that... actually i am willing to spend on the magazines just that i trying to make sure it is a right and beneficial purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.