Helix + MBS Night shot

Actually it matters, especially if the UV filter is not a good one.

Also the apparent lack of contrast will also make a picture look softer than it really is.

I beg your pardon .... this is something I have not thought of before. Can try taking out filter and take photo.

Bojee. How is your pp going? You need Zaren's touch to show you how?

Okay, I officially suck at PP. Is this better?

Helix2.jpg

Train your eye to judge exposure, make sure your monitor is calibrated as well. The vibrancy is there, you just need to brighten it up a bit.

Additionally, your foreground subject takes 2/3 of the frame and is leading the eye to the buildings. However it is not well contrasted against the sky (not your fault), it's rather lost and un-proportional vs the brightly lit buildings. Decide which is your main subject, bridge or buildings or both? Then make sure it is the brighter lit one, balance your light accordingly. There is no right or wrong just up to your artistic sense.

Read up and practise on Layers with Masking. It's really invaluable in PS.

foxtwo said:
Train your eye to judge exposure, make sure your monitor is calibrated as well. The vibrancy is there, you just need to brighten it up a bit.

Additionally, your foreground subject takes 2/3 of the frame and is leading the eye to the buildings. However it is not well contrasted against the sky (not your fault), it's rather lost and un-proportional vs the brightly lit buildings. Decide which is your main subject, bridge or buildings or both? Then make sure it is the brighter lit one, balance your light accordingly. There is no right or wrong just up to your artistic sense.

Read up and practise on Layers with Masking. It's really invaluable in PS.

Thanks Foxtwo, I'll look that up. Actually, I haven't really dug deep into PS. I just started messing around with it since I took up photography early this year.

Thanks guys, you have been very helpful to me. As I don't have any photography buddies, this forum has been my source of info and insight. :)

bojee said:
Thanks Foxtwo, I'll look that up. Actually, I haven't really dug deep into PS. I just started messing around with it since I took up photography early this year.

Thanks guys, you have been very helpful to me. As I don't have any photography buddies, this forum has been my source of info and insight. :)

Maybe it is time to join some outings and make some friends ND shoot with them. I really learnt a lot from friends.

daredevil123 said:
Maybe it is time to join some outings and make some friends ND shoot with them. I really learnt a lot from friends.

Yeah I think so too. Thanks DD, you have been very helpful to me since I first joined here. :)

Yeah I think so too. Thanks DD, you have been very helpful to me since I first joined here. :)

No la. Foxtwo is the one actively giving awesome critique here. Must thank him.

BTW, for your 2nd pic, pretty good job. My personal preference will be to go for slightly more contrast. I prefer to add contrast a different way. I will boost fill light and blacks at the same time. But do it in moderation also. Try it a little see how you like it.

Last edited:

BTW, for your 2nd pic, pretty good job. My personal preference will be to go for slightly more contrast. I prefer to add contrast a different way. I will boost fill light and blacks at the same time. But do it in moderation also. Try it a little see how you like it.

I agree.
bojee. you are almost there. Much better than the original one.
Just like to add. Use "unsharp mask" (just a little bit and go easy on it) to make the lines and curves a little more "crisp". There are several ways to sharpen during pp, this is just one of the easy one.

Here are some different methods to do things differently, good to know.

Adding local Contrast, this way will increase contrast but at the same time avoid over darkening the shadows, and over brightening the highlights:
[vid]GQxxx2mkRgw[/vid]
More detailed info here: http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/local-contrast-unsharp-mask.html

Adding sharpness using high pass filter:
[vid]K9VXeOKLvgs[/vid]

Ok, I'll try boosting fill and blacks. By the way, does it actually lessen the picture quality if I overdo it?

I agree.
bojee. you are almost there. Much better than the original one.
Just like to add. Use "unsharp mask" (just a little bit and go easy on it) to make the lines and curves a little more "crisp". There are several ways to sharpen during pp, this is just one of the easy one.

Thanks Coolthought. I used Unsharp Mask on the second pic. Tried 60% with a radius of 0.5 pixels. Is there like a 'guideline' for sharpening pics? Like a good starting point so as not to oversharpen.

Here are some different methods to do things differently, good to know.

Adding local Contrast, this way will increase contrast but at the same time avoid over darkening the shadows, and over brightening the highlights:
[vid]GQxxx2mkRgw[/vid]
More detailed info here: http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/local-contrast-unsharp-mask.html

Adding sharpness using high pass filter:
[vid]K9VXeOKLvgs[/vid]

Awesome vids! This is what Im looking for! Thanks DD. :)

Ok, I'll try boosting fill and blacks. By the way, does it actually lessen the picture quality if I overdo it?

If you overdo it, it will just look like a bad HDR pic. In that case, just pull back the sliders loh.

Thanks Coolthought. I used Unsharp Mask on the second pic. Tried 60% with a radius of 0.5 pixels. Is there like a 'guideline' for sharpening pics? Like a good starting point so as not to oversharpen.

For unsharp mask it depends on size of your image. If it is smaller than 1200 x 800 pixels, I will use radius of 0.4. amount of sharpening (%) I will vary until I see what I like.

If size is full size from camera, I will use radius of 1 to 1.5.

another way is to just really really sharpen and see the effect (at 100% zoom) then pull back from too much sharpening till you get the best sharp looking photo without over sharpening. Over sharpening is when you start to see halo at the edges.

Just to share my first shot at MBS with no PP at all. Other than the platform on the right that looks distracting, hope to gather more feedbacks since we are talking about MBS ! =)

5448175798_e13a7d281a.jpg

Last edited:
Just to share my first shot at MBS with no PP at all. Other than the platform on the right that looks distracting, hope to gather more feedbacks since we are talking about MBS ! =)

5448175798_e13a7d281a.jpg

Hi jxong, this is critique corner, and it is one picture per thread. Please start a new thread if you are looking for honest feedback. ;)

oh okok my apologies