Helix & MBS (first time)

Dynam0

Mar 19, 2010
Helix-MBS.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composure, exposure and other areas.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I seldom shoot night scenes, hope to capture a decent night land/cityscape picture.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Took the picture around 9pm, tripod use.

Exposure Program: Manual
Exposure time: 25 sec
F-Number: f/20
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 32mm

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally, I give myself 7/10 for this picture. I know many people have shot similar and better quality pictures. Hope to pick up some constructive advise from others.

Personally we would compose the scene so as to give a sense of nonsymmetrical balance, i.e larger Helix bridge on the left and the smaller MBS on the right. This also gives a sense of depth of the scene. In general this type of balance is more interesting to look at than symmetrical balance.

IMH, give it a try at f11-16, where you will have abit of startbust effect from those lights on the helix. :)

IMH, give it a try at f11-16, where you will have abit of startbust effect from those lights on the helix. :)
You mean optical starburst (i.e without using a starburst filter)..usually to create this interesting shapes is to shoot at a small aperture (f/16 or smaller). TS indicated he is using f/20. Either the lens used are having rounded aperture blades (less effective for starburst effect) or the light between light source and the background is small. In this case it seems to be related to the latter...

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composure, exposure and other areas.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I seldom shoot night scenes, hope to capture a decent night land/cityscape picture.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Took the picture around 9pm, tripod use.

Exposure Program: Manual
Exposure time: 25 sec
F-Number: f/20
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 32mm

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally, I give myself 7/10 for this picture. I know many people have shot similar and better quality pictures. Hope to pick up some constructive advise from others.

I don't know how to comment on composure, because I'm not a psychiatrist nor a psychologist :)
If you're referring to composition, well, I would prefer a wider view. Feel that it's too tight. MBS 'lotus' kena chopped. Reflections kena chopped.
Exposure is about there, though I would prefer the right side to be a bit darker. MBS buildings are very strongly lit. Might need to use black card technique.
Also i find the image very 'soft'. Doesn't have that crispy sharpness.

i think it's a decent first attempt. Do try again :D

Personally we would compose the scene so as to give a sense of nonsymmetrical balance, i.e larger Helix bridge on the left and the smaller MBS on the right. This also gives a sense of depth of the scene. In general this type of balance is more interesting to look at than symmetrical balance.

I don't know how to comment on composure, because I'm not a psychiatrist nor a psychologist :)
If you're referring to composition, well, I would prefer a wider view. Feel that it's too tight. MBS 'lotus' kena chopped. Reflections kena chopped.
Exposure is about there, though I would prefer the right side to be a bit darker. MBS buildings are very strongly lit. Might need to use black card technique.
Also i find the image very 'soft'. Doesn't have that crispy sharpness.

i think it's a decent first attempt. Do try again :D

Thanks for feedback.