Helix Bridge against MBS

ahmad0420

Mar 6, 2010
Yishun
www.shadefotoworks.com
Hey people,

This is a shot of Helix Bridge I took when I visited it last week.

4668283052_7e305de78d_b.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, colours, post-processing.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To capture attention of viewer to both MBS and Helix bridge.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
4pm, with a tripod.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
I think composition is too common, and something lacks in the colours and total vibrancy of the picture.

you had just found the answer.

This composition has a piece of everything but nothing really stands out except for the lamposts. Its quite messy really. Your priorities are not well thought through and arrangement of the elements is all over the place. This one just don't work.

wow 60 views without a critique, maybe this photo is really that bad.

Hay, dun despair.. basically the composition is kinda messy with mutliple distracting elements like lamp post on the left and part of MBS being covered by the bridge. Tonal intensity imbalance with too much shadows in the foreground.. Colors abit unnatural.. etc..

Keep shooting and read up..u will be fine :)

Yes as other people said, a bit messy.

To help, IMO, crop away left lamp pose, and maybe the river. Might be slightly improve :)

A good starting point would be...

crop while you compose, i.e. before touching the shutter button.

As an abstract....I would use the sky ( which is quite good ) and includes a tip of that cucumber sticking out.

i just went there last saturday to do a recce for angles

what can be improved in your shot
1. the shadow area under the bridge is too dark
2. the lamp post and street sign should be taken away
3. too much empty sky (square crop should be better)
4. too little MBS
5. there is no real subject (too many elements to look at)

I would suggest looking for another viewpoint
btw it is nicer at dusk

You should be honoured having a mod to take precious time while on the prowl to study your picture.

you had just found the answer.

wow talk abt constructive criticism, maybe you should find out the meaning of the word, 'tact'

I hope the next time u mess up smth, someone just comes up to you and says 'failure!'.

wow talk abt constructive criticism, maybe you should find out the meaning of the word, 'tact'

I hope the next time u mess up smth, someone just comes up to you and says 'failure!'.

Post # 2 indicates that the TS knew it was a bad picture right from the beginning.
You just can't possibily says this is a prize winner, couldn't you.

Good composition is usually the main key of success to a static subject. Of coz there are other elements to fall in.

As in this case, " less is more " should be the key word.

Not meaning to be rude, but this is really a mess despite the salvation by Mod.

Last edited:
this is the best quick and dirty pp job i could do to your image

Eeeeh... cheating! :bsmilie:

But what happened to the TS? Fly aeroplane already?

Wow, just noticed that our friend has got a website of his own, so, how could I say more ?

Hey, this is cheating! ;p

Just joking la, can't help to compare what you did here with that thread.

i like this crop version better. however i still find the ecp bridge with dark shadows distracting. too much going on in the picture - u have the ecp, helix bridge & mbs.

That's not Sheare's bridge. Its Bayfront bridge, nothing spectacular of it. An element could be omitted.

A good angle of this Sands hotel is somewhere due East, showing the curve of the three tower block design together with the cantilevered sky park. (early morn maybe )

A possible good angle of the Helix is from the Sheare's bridge whereby you can show the spiralling effect of the design. ( time and lighting not sure )

but these two good angles cannot merge together into one shot.

Last edited:
Wow, just noticed that our friend has got a website of his own, so, how could I say more ?

Out of curiosity, I just visited his "shade fotoworks" website. Super hard to believe that he posted the above photo of helix bridge when the works on the website is a million times better. :dunno: Although, I must say, his automotive shots are way better than his architectural ones.

Last edited:
Perhaps just testing the temp of the water. :cool: