Helios 44-2 on pentax KR

iceshu

Jan 3, 2011
I just bought a Helios 44-2 lens and mounted it on my KR with the official pentax adapter.

Weirdly, I found out that the lens exposes the metal of my camera body's lens mount. Also, the holes of the adapter appear to let air (and dust) into my camera body. Anyone with the helios 44-2 on a pentax body who have the same experience? Should I be concerned about exposing the metal mount and the holes?

I've attached a photo for your reference:
helios+mounted.jpg

I just bought a Helios 44-2 lens and mounted it on my KR with the official pentax adapter.

Weirdly, I found out that the lens exposes the metal of my camera body's lens mount. Also, the holes of the adapter appear to let air (and dust) into my camera body. Anyone with the helios 44-2 on a pentax body who have the same experience? Should I be concerned about exposing the metal mount and the holes?

I've attached a photo for your reference:
helios+mounted.jpg

Thats pretty normal with M42 lenses.
Some lenses expose more, some less.
My J9 exposes about the same as what you show in your pict.

Thats pretty normal with M42 lenses.
Some lenses expose more, some less.
My J9 exposes about the same as what you show in your pict.

Does a lot of dust end up entering your camera sensor? I seem to have collected a lot of dust since I started playing with this lens (not sure if it is because of the hole or the fact that the m42 adapter takes a long time to mount).

iceshu said:
Does a lot of dust end up entering your camera sensor? I seem to have collected a lot of dust since I started playing with this lens (not sure if it is because of the hole or the fact that the m42 adapter takes a long time to mount).

It could be both ways. When mounting M42 lens or any other lens, I'll try to face the camera down when mounting when possible. It will be good to have a adaptor attached to each M42 lens (if possible), really ease your time and effort to mount the lens and minimize the dust and sometimes black paints from the back of some lens flaking into the mirror.

It could be both ways. When mounting M42 lens or any other lens, I'll try to face the camera down when mounting when possible. It will be good to have a adaptor attached to each M42 lens (if possible), really ease your time and effort to mount the lens and minimize the dust and sometimes black paints from the back of some lens flaking into the mirror.

+1 to this.

But I've not noticed any increase in occurance of dust on sensor with M42 lenses.
I seldom 'face up' the bare mount in any case, so perhaps thats good practice anyway imo.

Thank you both for the advice. I mount the adapter face down, but because I'm new to m42 it always involves a few minutes of fumbling :p.

I will try to mount my adapter to my lens since that's the only m42 glass I have at the moment.