Heavy rain, strong winds expected in Singapore from Dec 18-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
A heads up for those shooting outdoors during the monsoon season in December.

Check with National Environment Agency's Meteorological Services Division before going out.

http://app2.nea.gov.sg/3hnowcast.aspx

Heavy rain, strong winds expected in Singapore from Dec 18-20
By Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 17 December 2009 2125 hrs

SINGAPORE: The National Environment Agency's Meteorological Services Division said on Thursday that a monsoon surge is expected to intensify from December 18 to 20.

Moderate to heavy intermittent showers are expected, accompanied by moderate to strong winds.

Coupled with high tides of up to 3 metres, this could result in flash floods, particularly in low-lying areas of Singapore such as Lorong Buangkok, Jalan Seaview, Meyer Road and Everitt North Road.

In the event of flash floods from heavy storms, the public can call the PUB at 1800-284-6600 for assistance, to report obstructions in drains or to check the flood situation.

- CNA/so

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1025476/1/.html

Last edited:
Anybody still remember when Hurricane Vamei makes landfall over Singapore during December 2001 shocking meteorologists around the world.

typhoonvamei2001.jpg

typhoonvameimodis.jpg

Last edited:
I can't really recall about the Hurricane Vamei in 2001.
IIRC, Vamei was initially classified as a tropical storm but was soon upgraded to typhoon/hurricane status when the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Carrier Battle Group (CVBG) measured a sustained wind speed of 140 km/hr in the eyewall of the typhoon/hurricane on its voyage through the South China Sea after leaving Singapore, the aircraft carrier was damaged in the process.

Science/AAAS: The Rarest Typhoon (2003.04.08).

USA Today: Scientists dissect rare typhoon near Equator (2003.05.04).

If you are really interested, there are quite a few published academic research papers and scientific literature on the topic if you google for it. :)

IIRC, Vamei was initially classified as a tropical storm but was soon upgraded to typhoon/hurricane status when the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Carrier Battle Group (CVBG) measured a sustained wind speed of 140 km/hr in the eyewall of the typhoon/hurricane on its voyage through the South China Sea after leaving Singapore, the aircraft carrier was damaged in the process.

Science/AAAS: The Rarest Typhoon (2003.04.08).

USA Today: Scientists dissect rare typhoon near Equator (2003.05.04).

If you are really interested, there are quite a few published academic research papers and scientific literature on the topic if you google for it. :)

Thanks for all the information. Good read.

woot! good times for kite flying :bsmilie:

oh ya....i cancel my shoot this morining and it is still so sunny. ;(

Yeah, what happened when Vamei hit Singapore? I don't seem to be able to recollect anything around that time with any significance. I do remember countless time where damage was done because of Sumatra squalls and that one other time when we had an extended period of rain over two weeks or more and many pot holes started appearing on roads.

9V-Orion Images, what happened then when Vamei hit Singapore? I have forgotten.

remember then, i was still in the navy serving my NS. end of 2001 the monsoon season was very bad. in changi naval base we had one incident that a 400++ tonne navy warship was left hanging along the side of the wharve one morning. what happen was over the night the wind was super strong, with occasional burst that can knock someone over if he/she wasnt paying any attention when walking in the base. rain thru out the night, the water inside the naval base basin was very choopy. the warship are berth alongside the wharve and have 6 rope point to hold the ship along the wharve, each point were triple up, meaning there were like 18 ropes holding the ship and mind you each rope are rated with holding strength of approx 200 tonne or more (cant remember correctly) in the middle of the night the storm was so bad, the ppl onboard the ship couldnt safetly adjust the ropes to the changing tide, thus ending up the warship with 18 ropes snap 16 of them and left only 2, 1 front 1 back. morning was low tide and the last adjustment made to the rope was some what high tide, thus the length of the ropes were too short and the ship was left hanging by 2 ropes. u can easily see the ship tilted as it lean against the wharve hanging from the 2 rope left. nothing can be done less wait for high tide again to release the ropes and add new one.

my duty command tentage was blown 5m from its orginal spot thou it was anchored/hold down by 3 big road barrier (those white and orange plasitc barrier) filled 3/4 with water.

Yeah, what happened when Vamei hit Singapore? I don't seem to be able to recollect anything around that time with any significance. I do remember countless time where damage was done because of Sumatra squalls and that one other time when we had an extended period of rain over two weeks or more and many pot holes started appearing on roads.
Vamei lasted only 12 hours as a Category 1 typhoon/hurricane and another 12 hours as a tropical storm, it made landfall in the south-eastern region of Johor before passing through Singapore and many locals probably shrugged off the heavy wind and rainfall as part of the north-east monsoon, Changi Airport was shut down with 50 flights diverted or delayed. Peninsular Malaysia was badly affected though with widespread flooding and tens of thousands of their citizens evacuated.

I don't actually think the local press made a big hoo-hah of it at the time as the significance of this event, that of a typhoon/hurricane forming near the equator (previously thought to be impossible), was not understood by NEA.

Interesting to note that some of the heaviest flooding in our history are actually attributed to typhoons in the Philippines.

Status
Not open for further replies.