Heavy Jumper (Hyllus diardi)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchuanye

Staff member
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
Went back to my usual haunt today at the park at Henry Park. Wah, saw 3 different Heavy jumpers at 3 different location. One is an adult, quite large, while the other 2 was smaller. So really shot alot of them today. I did a montage of them. Really love their cute eyes and their two tiny 'horns'!

FZ10+6T+Sigma CU, Ext bounce flash, ISO50, F8, various speeds

Appreciate any comments and critique pls.

Montage
The right bottom one and right middle one was shot with reverse lens.
50278375-L.jpg

This is my favourite shot of the day.
1/160s
50279077-L.jpg

Cool! That's my fav too! The red twigs really lead the eye to the spider. :thumbsup:

dts_spawn said:
Cool! That's my fav too! The red twigs really lead the eye to the spider. :thumbsup:

Glad you like that too! Thanks! And Happy New Year!

You can create a calendar out of this insect shots .. hehe

Well done.

Thanks for the inspiration:thumbsup:

Thanks Megaweb and Melvyn!

Have a great year of shooting ahead!

haha, nice one. As suggested by Johnny. It does look like a calendar.

Well done CY.

Thanks Mendis, Hosea, sumball and musicalai! Appreciate your comments!

I like the details of your shots, sharpness and colors. I'm a newb in macro, how far away was the subject from ur lens in pic#2?

Sjourn said:
I like the details of your shots, sharpness and colors. I'm a newb in macro, how far away was the subject from ur lens in pic#2?

Thanks! With my set up, the 2 close up lens gives me a 19cm working distance.
6T alone gives 29cm
Sigma close up alone gives 40cm.
So higher dioptre, closer working distance.

How about the reverse lens? By the way, nice pics. On focus and good composition! Do you handheld your camera or tripoded/monopoded it?

Qazwer said:
How about the reverse lens? By the way, nice pics. On focus and good composition! Do you handheld your camera or tripoded/monopoded it?

Thank you. All my shots are handheld, no tripods or monopods used. The OIS in the camera helps alot, and stable handholding techniques have to be used also. Personally, handholding allows me to quickly compose and shoot, and esp for jumpy insects, this is quite necessary.

For reverse lens (50mm F1.7 Minolta lens), the WD is about 4cm. But those I took above, were not at full zoom, and it was about 5x zoom, so actually looking at the pics, the magnification is not much different from my usual set up, and worst still have shallow DOF.

I have used higher zoom b4 with reverse lens, at abt x8 (anymore will be almost impossible to work with due to the extreme shallow DOF), and the magnification is higher, but the success rate is not so high.

tchuanye said:
Thanks! With my set up, the 2 close up lens gives me a 19cm working distance.
6T alone gives 29cm
Sigma close up alone gives 40cm.
So higher dioptre, closer working distance.

Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

TChuan

Really love these pics. U got me a bit keen. Hope one day can go with u to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.