Heater for Lens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
I'm on the verge of designing a portable dry lens case which is made of high shock absorbent material to protect the lens and also have a built in heater to heat up the area inside the bag to keep it dry...

also have another idea is to heat up the front element which always fogged when moved from cold to warm area or vice versa... sometimes even during night when shooting...

anybody got idea which is more useful? heater design i can make to any design i can think of... just that wondering how to secure the battery pack for the heater... or should i make a heater from the inside of the camera... hmmz... :think:

I don't 100% understand what you said, but there is this thing known as 'chemical heat packet' that one can attach to the battery compartment of a camera. Purpose is to let the batteries stay warm when you shoot in the cold.

ah... i guess this will be good enough.. never thought of it before...

or maybe i just go make 1 that can wrap around the front part of the lens will do...

behyx said:
I don't 100% understand what you said, but there is this thing known as 'chemical heat packet' that one can attach to the battery compartment of a camera. Purpose is to let the batteries stay warm when you shoot in the cold.

actually i am more concerned with the fogging of the elements in the lens..

Your idea is there but be aware that any heating element will consume a lot of juice so your power supply must be lasting which means it will be heavy. Anyway personally I don't think it is critical enough to really need it. Just my opinion.:)

you don't exactly need high temps.. so moderate temperature for sg climate is enough.. probably 2 x AA controlled by variable resistor to a length of heating element should be sufficient.. to conserve more battery and last longer, you can consider PWM-ing your supply to the heating element wires (tungsten would be ok)

for the front element.. well.. mmm.. how to warm the front element only?

yep, you can buy handwarmers in beach road market 2nd level. about $1.2 to $1.5 per packet. heating time about 8~12hours.

but having said that, i find them not really that useful in keeping the cold out, as i've experienced beginning of the year in freezing Hokkaido. the lithium batteries still work as expected. also, if the camera is exposed to the cold for short periods and replaced back in the bag as soon as the shots are taken. it should not fog up the optics once the bagged camera is brought indoors.

my 0.00001 cents worth.
behyx said:

ya.. i also think b4... last time help dunno which poly with their design... also battery sucker, anyway that time still inexperience and they are maintaining a rather high temperature... now i got a better idea, since temperature low, den use for a long period (overnight or for few days...), can't disclose my 'idea' hehe...

thanks for the ideas... i think i'll make a prototype for test...

Ah entrepreneur at work. Gather up some investors lah.

jbma said:
Ah entrepreneur at work. Gather up some investors lah.

hmm should i make a heater that can produce warmer pictures? :bsmilie: i really need more investors if i am into this project... hehehehehe

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
also have another idea is to heat up the front element which always fogged when moved from cold to warm area or vice versa... sometimes even during night when shooting...

anybody got idea which is more useful? heater design i can make to any design i can think of... just that wondering how to secure the battery pack for the heater... or should i make a heater from the inside of the camera... hmmz... :think:

Jim Kendrick (Canada) has been making heaters for lenses (telescopes) for years, and though they aren't specifically for camera lenses they work fine on cameras.

There are a few good DIY Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) controller designs online if you wish to homebrew a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.