mainlogo.jpg

"Heartlands" PHOTO EXHIBITION
Venue: Yew Tee Community Club, 4th storey
Period of exhibition: 15 November - 23 November 2003
Time: Weekdays 11 am to 9.30 pm, Weekends 10 am to 9.30 pm
For more information: Pls call Yew Tee CC at 67693672 between 9 am to 10 pm
Admission: Free!

Nothing to photograph in Singapore?

Take a step back and let five up-and-coming photographers show you otherwise.

Transforming ordinary items found at, and close to home, to works of art, Heartlands - the photographic exhibition - will make you take a second look at the things around you.

See for yourself a diversity of photographic techniques that will amaze you. From traditional black and white photographs, conventional toning and hand-colouring techniques, 'primitive' pin-hole camera photography, to modern digitally manipulated photos - there's always something surprising 'round the corner.

See Singapore heartlands differently through the eyes of these photographers, and discover something new yourself too.

About the Photographers

Greg Choong rediscovered Singapore when he started doing Singapore street photography a few years back. Many day-to-day mundane and simple things became interesting shots through his lenses. Greg's "People and Their Song Birds" series started in 2001 when he first shot the renowned Tiong Bahru Bird Arena. It has been his ongoing project until today and he has covered many arenas in many heartlands to date. It's not the songbirds that fascinate him, but the people surrounding them - the owners, friends, songbird judges, and tourists alike. This very popular Singaporean past time especially on weekend mornings is a great way to relax and make friends. His candid street photography style always carries the charm in portraying Singaporean in a leisurely but unique way. Greg shoots exclusively in B&W and does his own developing and printing traditionally.

[i]www.gregchoongphotography.com[/i]

Jason Ho Ever sat in solitary silence and immersed yourself in another world, another realm, another dimension oblivious to the surroundings? Welcome to the world of Jason Ho. His dark imagination and grim visual imagery thirty years of life with his shadow as his only company put down on print. Dismissing the traditional atheistic boundaries and not abiding of pre-formed rules of photography, his deviant mind has spawned a host of digital surrealistic images. Escapism: an inclination to retreat from unpleasant realities through diversion or fantasy. His photography is his route to Escapism, his self-expression, and not ordained by his desire to impose upon reality an amount of reel life. Jason's style of photography reflects deeply his single inspiration in his life loneliness. Each image Jason composes speaks, imprinting on itself his mind and his thoughts, together with the journey he embarks on in search of perfection. Jason will be presenting his works on Digital Manipulated Photography.

[i]www.ezcapizm.com[/i]

Justin Low is the youngest of the exhibiting photographers at 18 years of age. Currently pursuing a
Diploma in Visual Communications at Temasek Polytechnic, he spends his spare time capturing the different facades of the ordinary person on the street. While many his age are dabbling with digital cameras, Justin has found his calling in the
traditional black and white medium, only just getting more and more fascinated with developing his own prints, and controlling the entire process of how his photos will turn out. He shows a talent and passion for street and candid photography, and aims to hone this craft. Justin will be showcasing his street and candid works captured at your ordinary markets and hawker centres. Take a closer look at the 'uncle' and 'auntie' at your favourite fish stall as Justin
attempts to capture them in their essence, immortalising them perhaps to somebody different? Look out also for the 'flavour' of these traditional markets and hawkers centres, and the people who go there, and 'experience' for yourself interesting
frozen moments of time.

[i]www.justinlow.com[/i]

Osman bin Ali - Everything is beautiful in its own right as every person is beautiful in his and her own self. That's the philosophy that Osman holds to. He sees beyond physical beauty yet portrays his subjects beautifully in his images adding a touch of surrealism, imagination and experimentation. Osman developed an interest in fine art photography after he started experimenting with the traditional Black & White medium. With initial guidance from books and discussions with fellow photographers he picked up the pieces and started to discover the magic the medium was able to provide. He broke conventional rules, made a lot of mistakes, and discovered new working methods to fulfill his needs to create the final print.
His love for this medium is so strong that all his personal works are done in B&W extending to beyond monochrome, including hand colouring techniques. Current personal works involves projecting the beauty of any subject he shoots, conveying the
unnoticed interaction with its environment, sometimes as a representation of an idea, belief, understanding and thought. His experimentation includes emotional reflection on ideals and ideas, testing limitations of craft, using photography as an expressive tool, not just a documentary one. For the upcoming exhibition, Osman projects the simplicity and beauty of food and
fruits commonly found in our kitchen. Using some representational analogy, he tries to link the similarities found in relationships in humans. Fruits in a bunch are not at all identical, just like siblings.

[i]www.appa2.com[/i]

Robert Tay always believes that to be conventional is to follow faithfully, but to be unconventional is to break through one's obstacles, especially in the realm of photography. He believes that nothing beats having the eye spot good pictures, unlimited by traditional means and methods. Robert has established his likings of shooting through pinhole
cameras, as well as many other mediums infrequently touched by others. Robert keenly shares each experimented idea with others and in return, learns from other's experiences. His images present the utmost raw feeling of the subjects and their
background, and it is through his sheer determination to get it right the first time that he is able to present them so. In this series, Robert explores Singapore cityscapes using the minimalistic pinhole camera to render familiar places unusual. Take a second look as Robert takes you around HDB towns through the 'eyes' of an ordinary-tin-turned-camera.

[i]www.simidaiji.com[/i]

Directions to get to the CC:
1. Take feeder bus (No. 302) from Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange, alight after you see the CC on your right.
2. Take a train and alight at Yew Tee MRT station. Turn left on exit, and walk about 10 minutes from the station to the CC.

TALKS
Osman Ali
15 Nov, 3pm-4pm (Saturday)

An introduction to film-based Infrared Photography; Osman shows how you can choose the right film, find the right subjects, process and print infrared photographs.

www.appa2.com

Jeffrey Yap
Travel Photography
16 Nov, 2.30pm-3.30pm (Sunday)

How to get good travel photographs?
How to plan for an exotic holidays?
What should I pack for such a holiday?
Jeffrey Yap, a marketing manager with a statutory board, is also an avid backpacker with a passion for landscape photography. He will share with you how to get the magic out of your holidays. Good travel photo are no longer the arena of the pros but achievable with simple camera gears. The speaker will use his experience from his past trips to illustrate how good travel photography can be done and good tips and advice for some countries provided!

Lee Gim Lay
Journey on the Roof of the World
A photo travelogue presentation by Lee Gim Lay
22 Nov, 1.30pm- 2.30pm (Saturday)

Know by many names, the Shangri-la, the Land of Snows and the Roof of the World, the mysterious Buddhist Kingdom of Tibet is locked away in the Himalayas. In this personal journey, Gim Lay will share with you her personal overland journey from Nepal to Tibet through photographs taken this year March.
Besides being an avid photographer, her interests include backpacking to different parts of the world, history, cultures, and rock climbing. Her upcoming trip is to explore the eastern part of Tibet.

Desmond Kwan
Traditional Black and White Developing and Printing
22 Nov, 3pm-5pm (Saturday)

A trained engineer in structural engineering who became a photographer and a printer. Desmond studied photography in Canada, Montréal and later who worked as an assistant instructor in Oxford Polytechnic in England teaching darkroom techniques.
In Traditional Black and White Developing and Printing, Desmond attempts to simplify the process and introduce various ways to achieve that perfect final silver print. He also explains how one can use a variety of films and developers to produce varying results.

Darren Lau
What you need to know about your new digital camera to produce outstanding images tips, tricks and techniques that will enable you to fully utilize the power of the digital camera.
23 Nov, 1.30pm-2.30pm (Sunday)

Darren Lau, 36, works for a MNC in Singapore as a Regional Training Manager. He has more than 15 years experience in photography and converted to digital more than 2 years ago. Currently enjoys taking pictures of his two daughters and also joins/organizes occasional forays to various parks and gardens in Singapore to capture the beauty of nature.

www.clubsnap.org

On behalf of the organizing committee, we would like to extend our gratitude to:

Eddie Ng - for lending us his place for our meetings and sharing his advise on his previous exhibition experience.
Chiongster - for sharing her experience in helping previous offstone exhibitions.
Soochie - For introducing us to Yew Tee CC that leads to this exhibition.
Yew Tee CC and Staff - For their cordial invitation to us and support in coordination and logistics.
"Light Box Photography" Magazine - for dedicating a write up of this event.
"Grain" Photo Magazine - for mentioning our event.
All participating photographers - your dedication and hard work that made it possible.

Thanks!

This exhibition achieves 2 objectives:
(a) a chance for those interested in learning to organize a photo exhibition, and
(b) also gave serious amateur photographers a chance to showcase their work.

We sincerely hope this spirit of sharing and promoting photography in Singapore will carry on so more aspiring photographers get a chance to do so too. Nothing is impossible and kudos to all involved!

See You There!!!!!

What an exciting month for the photo community! Two local photo magazines will be launched in November and "Grain" will setup a table at "Heartlands" Photo Exhibition to introduce its magazine too.

GRAIN.
Asia photo culture.

GRAIN is a magazine for the new breed of Asian photographers. It is our mission to bring Asian photographic culture to a wider audience through GRAIN's open and witty editorial direction.

GRAIN will showcase the outstanding works of photographers from around the region. These photographers are varied in styles and come from all walks of life, ranging from the professional to the weekend shutterbug. What they do have in common is an uncanny ability to capture beautiful images with their cameras.

At GRAIN, we believe in giving coverage to different aspects of photography - its inherent ironies as an Art form, its practical uses and how as a vital platform, it can provide a multitude of Asian voices that have something to express visually. We are unprecedented and definitely one of a kind.

Launch: Mid-November 2003, in major bookstores and newsstands in Singapore, Malaysia & Hong Kong. Also available in selected Camera shops and Pro-labs in Singapore.

Inaugural Special

The Identity Issue. What does being Asian mean to you? See yourself through the eyes of our photographers. Explore with GRAIN the complexities and joys of being Asian in the 21st Century.

Features: Passion with a Capital P, Patagonia, I am Asian
Reviews: Canon 300D, Olympus E-1, Nixvue Vista

West_ray said:
sounds cool ar ... do i have to call to reserve a place?
... just come.... we have ideas of starting a print sharing session on Desmond's B&W Developing and Printing. It should be a great fun sharing day for the hardcore b&w enthusiasts.

Hi... catch the Live Radio Interview on Passion FM 99.5 today (6/11) at 12.30pm by Mas with one of the Photographers and Photo Talk speakers Osman Ali. Heart felt thanks to Passion Radio for supporting a local effort to promote local photography which gives avenues to aspiring and unknown local photographers a chance and experience to show case their work.

...Hi.... Lightbox magazine called to inform me the magazine is not able to meet a printing timeline and will only be available by the end of the month. Therefore it will not be offering it at the Exhibition in time. Meanwhile... do come by this weekend for these photo talks...

TALKS
Osman Ali
15 Nov, 3pm-4pm (Saturday)

An introduction to film-based Infrared Photography; Osman shows how you can choose the right film, find the right subjects, process and print infrared photographs.

www.appa2.com

Jeffrey Yap
Travel Photography
16 Nov, 2.30pm-3.30pm (Sunday)

How to get good travel photographs?
How to plan for an exotic holidays?
What should I pack for such a holiday?
Jeffrey Yap, a marketing manager with a statutory board, is also an avid backpacker with a passion for landscape photography. He will share with you how to get the magic out of your holidays. Good travel photo are no longer the arena of the pros but achievable with simple camera gears. The speaker will use his experience from his past trips to illustrate how good travel photography can be done and good tips and advice for some countries provided!

Scorp said:
Anyone going for darren's talk?

i think i am..
went for Osman's already... quite good except he was coughing away during the presentation.. otherwise, it was excellent content. he made me want to buy the IR filter and start shooting away already...

Hi Yamcake.

Good to know you like the talk I gave today. IR photography is easy actually.
Sorry for the coughs, I am still recovering from the flu.

Do come for other talks by the other speakers as they will be very informative also.

For the Black & White enthusiasts, next saturday , Desmond Kwan, a master Printer will share his knowledge on Black & White photography.

Hope you enjoyed the exhibition also.

i would most likely be going for Lee Gim Lay's Photo Travelogue on Sat!
& Darren Lau' talk on Sun(if i'm not going to the zoo)!
Cheers, those who dunnoe the way there can PM me.
i stay in CCK so know the way there =) Cheers! ;)

Thanks to all ClubSnappers who supported the exhibition and talks. I think at least there was one Steven who signed on our guestbook indicating that he was from this forum. There are a couple more who attended Darren's talk today as well, and took some shots - How come never post the pics har? :)

A big thanks to Darren for taking part - very glad to have at least you to represent Clubsnap in a rather Offstone-strong cast.

kudos to Darren for his talk.. your color calibration segment really takes the cake.. ;) heehee..... :sweatsm:

and to all the photographers, a job well done and hope to see more of such exhibitions in the very near future!
:cheergal:

Status
Not open for further replies.