Heart Rate Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. And it also remind you if you did not keep to your target. It also has a website which you can input the info so that you can track your training outcome.
So what is one's target? How to find one's target? What is the best target? Just curious. :dunno:

So what is one's target? How to find one's target? What is the best target? Just curious. :dunno:

It can test your level of fitness by listening to your resting heart rate. By its speed and stability.

My fitness is POOR. ownindex only 33 :(

So you can take the test repeatedly like every week to see if your heart rate (cardio vascular fitness) improve :)

That is the main reason why I am going to excercise.

there are many things it can do, depending on how much money you spend, but its good to not pay too much attention to the device, unless you're training for some pro competition and you need precise training.

in the beginning, this is not true. every few seconds you look at the HRM and check your heart rate, your distance etc, but after using it for more than a year already, when I go out for a run I use my polar mainly to keep a record of the run so I can analyse it on the PC later if I want to. During the run, I use it to keep track of the distance since I run different routes all the time to keep it fresh & interesting. When you start out running after years of laziness, that's where I think the HRM gets interesting.

When I started off running, my heart rate hits 90+% of maximum very quickly after running to a jog pace. That's the mark of a very unfit runner. If its your first time, you wont know how much to push before you should let go. What I mean here is that you could be putting your health in trouble by training at too intensive amount all the time. There are a lot of theories behind this, wont go into it here. But once you are used to wearing a HRM, (approx a few months?) depending on how tired you are you will know what heart rate you're having at that moment. If you're gasping for air, chances are you're >90% of the maximum heart rate. Then you know to slow down so that you dont end up killing yourself.

Why is this important? Because if you really want to improve, its no good to run too strenuous a run, and of course you will not improve if your heart is not doing any work. So you have a range of heart rates that you set as your target (believe me, once you have the heart rate monitor you'll do a lot of reading up) during your run and you use the HRM to make sure that you stay there. For example, for my short run where I'm trying to build up my lung capacity, I usually push >90%. But for long endurance run, my heart rate is never more than 85%, comfortable enough to talk during the run, but not too easy a run. The recording function is just a bonus. always nice to have a 2 year record of every run you have made.

So what's the best target? First you need to know your maximum heart rate. Either you go to your doctor for this, or the Polar HRMs can estimate it. Where you want to train, it really depends on you, everyone is different. Its like asking which DSLR you should buy. You ask me I tell you to get a D2X... but do you REALLY need anything other than a point and shoot? Same for heart rate training. If I have a half marathon coming up and I can't do that distance now, I'd train more on low heart rate and try to cover the distance (build up my leg muscles to take the strain). If I can already run that far, but I need more speed, I'll do other type of training, mix of endurance and high heart rate tempo or intervals, etc etc... need to fire up your google engine and start reading up.

It can test your level of fitness by listening to your resting heart rate. By its speed and stability.

So you can take the test repeatedly like every week to see if your heart rate (cardio vascular fitness) improve :)

Talking about OwnIndex.... you can cheat to have a higher ownindex. If you want... what you can do is to increase the activity level. If you exercise once a week, tell the Polar you're exercising strenously 7 times a week. It seems to have an effect, but at least with me.

Not that I cheated of course. I was trying to be conservative once, saying I run only 2-3 times a week when I actually do 5. Once I increased that activity level, I saw that the ownindex jumped up as well with the next measurement.

Thanks Brian. That's very informative.

do you like the RS200sd? Thinking of buying it to see how far I am running. Is the footpad comfortable? Is the distance measured accurate?

got a quote of $492 for RS200sd. good price?

im loving it. when holding it in yr hand, it feels heavy..but once secure it on my shoe, i don feel it - so no problem. i cannot comment how accurate it is as i have not really verify by running on track. however, it is pretty consistent for the same route that i ran for a few times.

i got a 15% discount voucher from RealRun goodie bag, so i made use of it at the New Balance store @ Raffles, so i paid 418 incl gst.

True. And it also remind you if you did not keep to your target. It also has a website which you can input the info so that you can track your training outcome.

for the rs200, it transfer straight into the website

Same case here. My only 37 :confused:

i got a 15% discount voucher from RealRun goodie bag, so i made use of it at the New Balance store @ Raffles, so i paid 418 incl gst.

I didn't have the discount voucher but the staff at Suntec was kind enough to give me the 15% discount. Really nice of her.

Talking about OwnIndex.... you can cheat to have a higher ownindex. If you want... what you can do is to increase the activity level. If you exercise once a week, tell the Polar you're exercising strenously 7 times a week. It seems to have an effect, but at least with me.

Not that I cheated of course. I was trying to be conservative once, saying I run only 2-3 times a week when I actually do 5. Once I increased that activity level, I saw that the ownindex jumped up as well with the next measurement.

Alamak. I set to activity low. That is why :) I shall change to MAXIMUM :)

i am also using e F11. got it for 250.

i find it very good. esp the trophy that they display on your watch when you complete your program. i have the watch for 4 weeks now and have been keeping the trophy. and when i can exercise up to wed, i started to become very concious and plan some sports activities the following 3 days( mine i need to burn 5400 cal) per week.

1st week, own index was 44. now 50 liao. very happy. i find that when you breath very slowly, it helps to yield better score.

then, again, no point cheating on the watch. i got the watch to keep fit in the first place.

i find it very good. esp the trophy that they display on your watch when you complete your program. i have the watch for 4 weeks now and have been keeping the trophy. and when i can exercise up to wed, i started to become very concious and plan some sports activities the following 3 days( mine i need to burn 5400 cal) per week.

1st week, own index was 44. now 50 liao. very happy. i find that when you breath very slowly, it helps to yield better score.

then, again, no point cheating on the watch. i got the watch to keep fit in the first place.

You burn 5400cal a week? That's a lot right? The most I've ever done was 6000cal, but that involves 2 days of 5km run, 1 day of 20km run, cycling 100km + 20km... definitely not something you can do every week.

You burn 5400cal a week? That's a lot right? The most I've ever done was 6000cal, but that involves 2 days of 5km run, 1 day of 20km run, cycling 100km + 20km... definitely not something you can do every week.

Siong :sweat: after that I sure in bed for 1 week :bsmilie:

i burn 1170kcal when i run 14+km...

wa piang...5400kcal ...like run 5 days of 14k... :sweat:

My max in a single day must have been the recent Action Asia Challenge Singapore. 5123kcal, supposedly [60 - 32.4] (27.6k?) of running (doesn't feel THAT long, really), 32.4k of riding, lots of other stuff. 7 hours 23 mins. That was fun!

i do more of badminton which always pushes the heartrate into the hard region(which according to the F11 manual, burns more calories. i only press start when i am playing and stop when game ends,though the heartrate is usually still in the moderate zone after each game for another 5 mins or so.

play 2-3 session of 2 hours a week( active playing about 1h10min)
1 session of 50 min joggin or cycling
1 session of 3 hour badminton training( active playing about 1h30min)

so far i have managed to keep the trophy. sad part is the heartrate is always in e hard zone of burning carbo and its taking me a looooong time to burn those fats away! tyipcal session indicates only 35% of the calories burnt are from fats

Status
Not open for further replies.