Heading to US, west coast soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racing Turtle

Aug 15, 2008
Just wondering if there are any shops i should check out in the west coast, around LA, Las Vegas or San Frans for camera equipment, or its more advisable to shop online? Looking at mainly Canon lenses or 3rd party and probably a 580 II speedlite, pending budget and also other non camera related shopping that i will be doing, clothes, golf equipment, etc.

You have to make up your mind which part of west coast you will be, LA area, SF bay area or Vegas. Because they are hella far apart. California is huge dude. So due to this I can only recommend chain stores to you.

You can try Wolf camera.

Another place we go a lot for electronic items is this electronics supermarket called Fry's. They are located all over the place on the west coast.
Store locations are HERE.

In US, I usually buy online because prices are much cheaper. Problem is, you have to be careful what you buy. If you got a Grey set, you will not have warranty. And you want to give yourself enough time to do a return or exchange should there be a problem. If you are just there for a short trip (less than 60 days), and if you have to move from place to place a lot, online buying is probably not an option for you.

If you are buying kits like 500D kit, or D5000 D3000 D90 kit, you can go buy it cheap at Costco. But being a members only discount hypermart, you need a membership card to purchase anything in there. You will also have to do CASH or American Express (if I remember correctly). You can also do debit card (like Netts in SG) payments in there if you have a USA bank account. Visa, Mastercard not accepted.

If you can tell me your exact location, then I can help you more. And, just saying SF area or LA is not enough. These areas themselves are huge. You have to go down to county or city level. For example. San Jose, Fremont, Westwood etc etc etc. And I hope you are driving because, apart from Vegas, taxi cabs are nearly non-existent in these places.

Last edited:
thanks, i am there on tour, hence the many locations, online buying is usually fine, i will just pre-order and have them sent it to the hotel and leave it with the concierge.

thanks, i am there on tour, hence the many locations, online buying is usually fine, i will just pre-order and have them sent it to the hotel and leave it with the concierge.

Problem is, if there is problem with the items, what are you going to do? I've bought camera equipment online before and had to return or exchange some. Exchange took quite a bit of time. Returns may be a better bet, but sometimes, they cannot do a charge back to your credit card, and will send you a cheque. And that process can take 14-30 days.

you might want to have a short detour to Acratech and RRS... ;p

I dont think Fry's carry high end stuff, but they are everywhere.
Also take note some online store doesnt accept non-US issued credit card and some dont ship to hotel as well.(newegg for example)

there's this big camera store near Standford Uni you should check out,
should be the biggest camera store in North CA.
http://www.kspphoto.com/activepages/main.html

If you want go Napa,
then recommend u check out Artesa,
my favourite corner :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.