Heading to Israel

BigFatLenses

Aug 11, 2010
Hi guys, heading to Israel next week..

did a search but can't find any answers, even google also can't help.

in singapore where can i change the israeli shekels ah? or should i do as my friend say change US$ then bring there change for shekels?

Buying a foreign currency is always "lossy". Best to convert to USD, or withdraw from ATMs there (though there's a processing fee).

you can't change israeli money in singapore....at least i couldn't find

you can either bring SGD over there to change, or change some USD here to bring there to change @ ben gurion airport

Hi guys, heading to Israel next week..

did a search but can't find any answers, even google also can't help.

in singapore where can i change the israeli shekels ah? or should i do as my friend say change US$ then bring there change for shekels?

USD. Bring there to change.

Also, you know about the passport thingy already?

zac, I think its good to let him know in advance 1st , in case he's caught in the matter

If after coming back to Singapore you are not expected to fly back to Israel anytime soon, it is very advisable to go to ICA to change your passport if you are expected to be visiting places like Malaysia, Indonesia or any other Muslim countries.

Else you could be invited for coffee at the immigration of the Muslim countries and be grilled on your purpose of visit to Israel.

zac, I think its good to let him know in advance 1st , in case he's caught in the matter

If after coming back to Singapore you are not expected to fly back to Israel anytime soon, it is very advisable to go to ICA to change your passport if you are expected to be visiting places like Malaysia, Indonesia or any other Muslim countries.

Else you could be invited for coffee at the immigration of the Muslim countries and be grilled on your purpose of visit to Israel.

Just apply for another passport just for Israel usage. :)

ICA knows about this and provides for this. ;)

eh don't need to change passport...can just apply for the 2nd passport...

as there are no direct flights there...i advise u bring both passports along, just in case for whatever reason flight delay, stuck etc...and u need to stay over at other countries...

At the Israeli immigration, tell them to chop on a separate paper and not on the passport. If they chop your passport you will have problem entering muslim countries. They will understand.

As for money changing. They usually accept USD. So change to USD and when you buy things, the change they normally give you Shekel.

Please bring US or Euro dollars for your trip to Israel, Singapore dollars is very hard to change in the Middle East.

thanks everyone for their inputs, i also check with a few people, all said can't find shekels in singapore. lucky i still have left some euros and pounds from my last trip to paris and london.

regarding the passport thingy, i already have a 2nd passport for travelling to israel only.

SQ does not fly to ben gurion, will be transiting somewhere in europe... gonna be a long and shag flight... :(

Couple more points:

1. Pls be at the airport (when coming home) >2 hrs before the flight, there are extra checks and interview before you'll be allowed to proceed to the "check-in" counter .

2. Be prepared to be asked "Why do you have a 2nd passport for israel only" or "Why is your passport only for israel" .

3. Cost of most items (meals/transport) are high , be prepared for swiss/western euro standard of living .

Couple more points:

1. Pls be at the airport (when coming home) >2 hrs before the flight, there are extra checks and interview before you'll be allowed to proceed to the "check-in" counter .

2. Be prepared to be asked "Why do you have a 2nd passport for israel only" or "Why is your passport only for israel" .

3. Cost of most items (meals/transport) are high , be prepared for swiss/western euro standard of living .
any "model" answer to the second question? I was told the israeli authorities should already know..

Be prepared for very 'anal' attitude at the Israeli immigration according to some friends who have been there. If u have any of their 'foes' ( read -especially Iran ,Libya,Pakistan,Syria,Sudan,Lebanon,Yemen,Saudi Arabia etc) chop on your passport ,good luck! My friend had an Algerian stamp on his passport and he got hell from them for an hour and his bag had to go through 3 checks.Funny thing is Algeria is hardly unfriendly towards Israel.

A good alternative is Iran and Lebanon which have the friendliest people you will ever meet. Jordan's great too.

You can post at sgtravelcafe.com -there's quite abit of posting on Israel.

the 2nd passport is only valid for travel to Israel...not sure why will have other countries chop/stamp in that passport...

i have never been asked why the passport is specifically only for travel to israel...don't think they will ask too...

have a good flight there...total travel time including transit should be around 22hrs haha

any "model" answer to the second question? I was told the israeli authorities should already know..

Just tell them the truth, I was asked when I visited several years back. Maybe due to my longer stay (>1 month) they asked more ...