Heading to Bali

Status
Not open for further replies.

centuryegg

Aug 16, 2005
Heading to Bali during the New Year. Any tips of where to go, what to do. And also any dos and dont's? Thanks!

centuryegg said:
Heading to Bali during the New Year. Any tips of where to go, what to do. And also any dos and dont's? Thanks!
Where will you be staying in Bali? And for how many days? Few of the popular places to go include, Tanah Lot, Ulu Watu, Kintamani, Goa Gajah, Ubud, Monkey forrest etc... depending on what you want to see and do.

I'm now on a temporary assignment in Bali.... let me know if you need any specific info or assistance.

Enjoy your vacation!

Im staying at the Balisani Padma Hotel. Actually my GF and her colleagues planned everything and I was a last min addition. Project got postponed and I decided to go join her to spend New Year Eve with her. I will be arriving on the 28th and leaving on the 1st. Maybe some photography along the way but nothing too serious... Im there to spend time with her not snap at other things! haha.....

Cos its our first time, I would like to check any dos and don'ts.

1) How do I get from Airport to Hotel, as Im arriving alone. I know take cab but what cab to take and all. What is the normal price to pay for cabs.
2) How much cash to bring? All in Rupiah?

Thanks!

centuryegg said:
Cos its our first time, I would like to check any dos and don'ts.

1) How do I get from Airport to Hotel, as Im arriving alone. I know take cab but what cab to take and all. What is the normal price to pay for cabs.
2) How much cash to bring? All in Rupiah?

Thanks!

1) The hotel is quite near to the airport, just take any metered cabs from the airport. Your journey should be less than 10 minutes. The meter runs at intervals of 200 rupiah starts from 5000 rupiah (approx S$1.50). To the hotel shoul be less than 20,000 rupiah (approx S$3.50)

2) How much cash to bring depends on what you want to do. ;) If just stay in hotel and spend time with gf, then no need to bring much lah... Anyway, things in Bali are quite cheap, for a 4-night stay like yours, bring maybe say 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 rupiah (approx S$200 - $300) for food & maybe some small shopping. Things are relatively cheap in Bali. When shopping, always bargain and slash their initial price by 50%!!! Not joking hor...

Your hotel is near the Kuta-Legian area, there's a nice Legian beach, Kuta is good for some shopping, can also go to Seminyak for food and shopping. You can also go to Tanah Lot for some sunset photos, provided the weather is good. It has been raining for the past weeks in Bali :(

Welcome to Bali - Island of Gods :)

centuryegg said:

Visit Semarapura (or known locally as Klungkung), go to the Kertagosa, it's the high court of the Raja, make sure you hire of the guide, so he can tell you the meaning of the painting inside the roof and the statues. Notice that every statue is different..
Next to it is the Tugu Puputan, basically a memorial to the Klungkung Royalties who died in 'puputan' or an all out battle against the Dutch ..

Hitman said:
1) The hotel is quite near to the airport, just take any metered cabs from the airport. Your journey should be less than 10 minutes. The meter runs at intervals of 200 rupiah starts from 5000 rupiah (approx S$1.50). To the hotel shoul be less than 20,000 rupiah (approx S$3.50)

2) How much cash to bring depends on what you want to do. ;) If just stay in hotel and spend time with gf, then no need to bring much lah... Anyway, things in Bali are quite cheap, for a 4-night stay like yours, bring maybe say 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 rupiah (approx S$200 - $300) for food & maybe some small shopping. Things are relatively cheap in Bali. When shopping, always bargain and slash their initial price by 50%!!! Not joking hor...

Your hotel is near the Kuta-Legian area, there's a nice Legian beach, Kuta is good for some shopping, can also go to Seminyak for food and shopping. You can also go to Tanah Lot for some sunset photos, provided the weather is good. It has been raining for the past weeks in Bali :(

Welcome to Bali - Island of Gods :)

Thanks dude!! I think we will be exploring around and not stay in the hotel whole day. Mmmm thinking of bringing her snorkelling and maybe some tours. Then go for food and drinks... One thing where is good for seafood? Cheap and wont become carrot? Are the cabbies reliable in Bali area? I read from a guide to take only the blue ones and not other cab companies.

Value air is sold out so Im on SQ not too bad 439.....

centuryegg said:
Thanks dude!! I think we will be exploring around and not stay in the hotel whole day. Mmmm thinking of bringing her snorkelling and maybe some tours. Then go for food and drinks... One thing where is good for seafood? Cheap and wont become carrot? Are the cabbies reliable in Bali area? I read from a guide to take only the blue ones and not other cab companies.

About blue Taxi in Indonesia. Because they know that blue Taxi is better than the rest, now a lot of taxi become blue in colour. Look for "blue bird" taxi name instead of the blue colour taxi.

Avoid "president" taxi!

Regards,
Arto.

centuryegg said:

If you're not scared of terrorist, try the seafood cafe along Jimbaran Bay, where you sit by the beach, enjoy the breeze, listen to the sounds of waves and have fresh seafood. There are many seafood cafes around that area and the price is cheap and the food is good. The locals go there also... We just had our department outing there 2 days ago, just to show our support to the locals as the business there has been badly affected by the bombing in Oct.

I guess a commonsense advise would be to stay away from ang moh hangouts... places where aussies gather for eg.

Status
Not open for further replies.