Heading for Eastern Europe, any itineraries to share?

efyap

Dec 29, 2008
Singapore
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of heading up to Eastern Europe during the long weekend in May. I've about 16 days (including flying there and back). The countries that I'm targeting are:

Hungary (Budapest)
Czech Republic (Prague)
Austria (Vienna, Hallstatt)
Poland (TBC)
Slovakia (TBC)

Should I travel between countries by air or Eurorail? Any quirky hotels/hostels to recommend? What are the good places for photo shoots (and timing)? Where to find good food (and beer)? If you've an itinerary, please share with me.

Thanks!
EF

maybe you should do a search. somebody asked about Eastern Europe not too long ago and lots of replies given, including long ones by yours truly. It will be faster for you to search than for me to retype everything.

jus to answer about the part about transport, these countries are very well-connected by rail and it can be cheap too. You can also check out the buses. If you want the planes, you will have to book well in advance in order to catch cheap flights. A point to take note, trains gg into poland or out of poland are a hotbed for thieves. Be sure you lock up your cabin for overnight rides and keep your valuables under your body or something.

I have been to all the places you are going. If the answers from previous posts are not enough to answer your questions, feel free to pm me.

I did somewhat same itinerary that you're planning a few yrs back.

Yup taking the train is much cheaper and convenient. I did rent a car while in Slovania depending on where u wanna roam around.

Do be careful, i was pickpocket in Poland tho while taking the train. It's an experience i guess.

Rail is convenient and well connected in Europe. I did a similar eastern europe trip for 2 weeks a few yrs back. And visited Budapest Prague Vienna and short stop at Salzburg. I am not sure if you would want to clock so many spots in 16 days.

You can check up ricksteves.com for more resources. I found this map useful for planning previously : Rick Steves' Eurail Passes: Time and Cost Map

Ryan

16 days seems too rush. I did 16 days for Prague, Vienna & Budapest in Dec last year, visiting the numerous Xmas markets. You have to be very early if u do not want too many ppl in your shots at the tourist sites, esp charles bridge. I spent about 5 days at each place, taking in the sights leisurely.

Prague - Prague castle, charles bridge, old town, petrin hill, strahov monastry,karlstejn castle, cesky krumlov (overnight, enroute to vienna)
Vienna- st stephen cathedral, Graben street,, hofburg, ratheus, kunsthistorich museum, schonbrunn palace, belvedere.
Budapest- Gellert hill, castle district, chain bridge, vorasmarty ter,vaci ut, heroes square, st stephen church, opera house, andrassy ut, parliament, obuda, aquicum museum.

You can find ancient Roman ruins littered over Obuda town, in their park and even on road dividers. I entered a bank there to use the atm and it has a glass floor lobby that allows you to see through the roman ruins below the bank.
You can book Austrian Railjet online but not hungrarian MEV railway. Generally safe. Budapest railway porters are overly enthusiastic to earn a fee from you.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of heading up to Eastern Europe during the long weekend in May. I've about 16 days (including flying there and back). The countries that I'm targeting are:

Hungary (Budapest)
Czech Republic (Prague)
Austria (Vienna, Hallstatt)
Poland (TBC)
Slovakia (TBC)

Should I travel between countries by air or Eurorail? Any quirky hotels/hostels to recommend? What are the good places for photo shoots (and timing)? Where to find good food (and beer)? If you've an itinerary, please share with me.

Thanks!
EF

Last Sept / Oct I did Prague - budapest - Vienna for 13 nights. (exclude return flights)
These 3 cities consider well connect by rail. I bought my tix there.
Prague to Budapest about 7 hrs by train iirc. But flight is ex, not worth.
If you at Prague, remember to visit Český Krumlov. about 3.5 hours single journey from Prague.

I have 4 days for Prague, is this sufficient?
I have another 3 days, which I am not sure where to go.... maybe Budapest?
Or is it better to be 7 days at Prague?
Need some fast suggestions., please.

4 days for prague should be pretty sufficient. You may want to consider Cesky Krumlov which is about 3 hours south of Prague. A very nice little town full of character. If you are there in summer, you will be able to do some rafting down the river, with a beer or two in hand. There are "pit stops" along the way where you can get off for beer and sausages. Lots of interesting little shops in town.

You can also do a day trip to Kutna Hora from Prague. A very small town with the biggest attraction being this church which has chandeliers and decorations made from real human bones. A bit scary but a real piece of artwork. The bones are actually from people who were buried in the church grounds from hundreds of years ago (i think).

Yes! Kutna Hora is such a gem! The chapel decorated with human bones is really beautiful (in a artistic way), and is certainly one of the highlights. And if you're someone who's into UNESCO sites, the St Barbara church in Kutna Hora is listed.
Cesky Krumlov I've posted before. I stayed 2 nights there.
So Canonised, 7 days in Prague is probably too much but 7 days in Czech is barely enough ;)
There are other places to visit in Czech, and if u r a beer person, u can drop by Plzeň, the city that gives u Pilsner :)

4 days for prague should be pretty sufficient. You may want to consider Cesky Krumlov which is about 3 hours south of Prague. A very nice little town full of character. If you are there in summer, you will be able to do some rafting down the river, with a beer or two in hand. There are "pit stops" along the way where you can get off for beer and sausages. Lots of interesting little shops in town.

You can also do a day trip to Kutna Hora from Prague. A very small town with the biggest attraction being this church which has chandeliers and decorations made from real human bones. A bit scary but a real piece of artwork. The bones are actually from people who were buried in the church grounds from hundreds of years ago (i think).

4 days in Prague is good.
Budapest can be a good option.
If 7 days in Prague, may need to make a few day trips out of prague.