Headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk1881

Feb 9, 2010
Hello everyone

Gong Xi Fa Cai and wishes everyone a good "shooting" year ahead

ok this is my story, i borrow from a friend of mine last year to test on a dslr. he lend me a
d90 so i start shooting and taking my kids photo. i immediate love the snapping sound and my wife like the photo i took. But at the moment i had just purchase a PnS Fuji FX700er (if i right) so i never consider of having one.

3 months later my bro got married so i borrow from him again (thanks to his posion). And i help him to take his whole day event as part time (he got his own photographer) and some photo is nice and some is suck hahaha. I took alot of my kids photo and compare it with my PnS and the difference is, i dun need to spell it out.

My wife keep asking me to get one and she is very supportive of this but there is fear in me. the camera itself is over 1k with accessories.
Fear that it will become a white elephant and maintenance of the camera will also be concern.
Fear that i do not have the time to shoot
Fear that i do not have the knowledge to adjust the setting
Fear that i do not have possess any "art" indept

now i still thinking shld i get one or not

thanks for reading
Huat Ar!:lovegrin:

If your wife is supportive, thats one big problem less.
If you can afford it, thats another problem less.
Knowledge comes with more reading and shooting.

Worse come to worst, you can always sell the gear if you feel that it doesn't suit you.
Because from the way your post sounds, I think you have the intention to buy already. :)

My wife keep asking me to get one and she is very supportive of this but there is fear in me. the camera itself is over 1k with accessories.
OC give green light already. What are you waiting for?

Fear that it will become a white elephant and maintenance of the camera will also be concern.
Go to the zoo & you'll never get a white elephant, keep shooting. Get a drybox

Got time to do nothing? Make some time, bring the wife & kids out

Who has it in the 1st place? Just go do some reading up & practice

This can be built up. Don't worry. We all learn from mistakes

now i still thinking shld i get one or not
Don't think. Just go get it !

thanks for reading
Huat Ar!:lovegrin:

Welcome to CS :)

Welcome aboard dude! What are you waiting for when you have obtained the CFO approval already.. :p

If your wife is supportive, thats one big problem less.
If you can afford it, thats another problem less.
Knowledge comes with more reading and shooting.

Worse come to worst, you can always sell the gear if you feel that it doesn't suit you.
Because from the way your post sounds, I think you have the intention to buy already. :)

u really can read my mind, i had got source on the equipment already so now its yes or no.
its btw d5000 vs d90.
i know everyone will say d90 but question again, do i need to get such a good one? i compare apple to apple, the spec is almost the same except for the AF motorize (am i right? hahaha) and the lcd screen.

haiz...

Welcome aboard dude! What are you waiting for when you have obtained the CFO approval already.. :p

i scare i disappointed her again haha
i used to play r/c drift car den give up den sold it away
so the fear is there again

Photography will make a good family bonding :lovegrin:

i guess your real question is : i am afraid of spending too much on a hobby where i might lose interest after a short time

dont worry..... u are not the first one with such a question ...... it is a reasonable concern

my advise is to go 1st/2nd hand with the kit lens and when bored or really no time, sell it off..... dun worry, Buy and Sell section of this forum is VERY active....... so at least there is no worry about offloading equiptment if you lose interest later

i REALLY do not advise keep borrowing friend's camera..... if anything happen to his camera, it can spoil a good friendship and leave not so good feelings

its quite safe to just factor in 30% loss on what you spend if you buy new...... less if u buy everything 2nd hand....... non camera and non lens items like tripods and/or flash can consider buying in 2nd hand Buy and Sell section here in the forum if you really MUST buy new body and lens for your comfort

But ultimately, give it a go....... you will never know until u actually own a system...... who knows, it might be THE hobby for you............anyway unlike R/C which has no real-life usefulness ....... a skill like taking good photos will seldom leave you.......... and will stay with you for life, tio boh ?

welcome to CS bro' :)

Last edited:
i guess your real question is : i am afraid of spending too much on a hobby where i might lose interest after a short time

dont worry..... u are not the first one with such a question ...... it is a reasonable concern

my advise is to go 1st/2nd hand with the kit lens and when bored or really no time, sell it off..... dun worry, Buy and Sell section of this forum is VERY active....... so at least there is no worry about offloading equiptment if you lose interest later

i REALLY do not advise keep borrowing friend's camera..... if anything happen to his camera, it can spoil a good friendship and leave not so good feelings

its quite safe to just factor in 30% loss on what you spend if you buy new...... less if u buy everything 2nd hand....... non camera and non lens items like tripods and/or flash can consider buying in 2nd hand Buy and Sell section here in the forum if you really MUST buy new body and lens for your comfort

But ultimately, give it a go....... you will never know until u actually own a system...... who knows, it might be THE hobby for you............anyway unlike R/C which has no real-life usefulness ....... a skill like taking good photos will seldom leave you.......... and will stay with you for life, tio boh ?

welcome to CS bro' :)

tio liao lor if tmr 4d open, i tio i pm u i treat u dinner haha
u really hit the nails, so new body with new lens and later kiv ?
haha

If you are not sure will you give up this hobby after a few months/years, then buy 2nd hand here. At least, u will not lost that much if you intend to sell off later.

Note that some people buy PnS camera for convenient sake. There is pros & cons for DSLR & Compact camera. It's all depend on what you need.

Get it! It will never be a white elephant.

I just started this hobby too.
Get a D90, since you used it twice and like how the photos turn out.

D90! Personally I don't like the grip on D5000...

Just get it~
few in here like me haven have much time to shoot either
Since ur wife is supportive, by all means go ahead..
No one is born to know it all, we learn along the way, and the most interesting aspect of photography is there's always sth new each day when u thought u ard knew it.
And it bring ppl closer, bonding of friends and family esp..

So what are u waiting for?! Get a D90~ Capture those fond memories just in time for CNY!!:)

Hi TS,

Welcome to CS. Ultimately. its your feel that matters most, whether its a D90 or D5000. Al long as you are happy with it. :)

hello, the "initial investment" is only 1k you already made so much noise, I'm not sure what will happen to you if you take the plunge and found out later this hobby will take away a big chunk of your GDP annually.

anyway, you are so lucky that you wife so supportive, do you know that many other members here are trying very hard to hide their hobby? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

thanks everyone

look like both u and ur wife already got poison by dslr....all i can say is , welcome to the family....D90 and D5000 is all up to u really...

Valid concern.

Valid as well. u have time to shoot with ur current schedule already ? :bsmilie:

This can be easily learnt. small learning curve to surmount, but self learning can be so fun.

ansel adams says although some have a better start in composition in that respect, but through practice u can get there!

welcome ! and happy cny as well

ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.