Headache Over Battery Chargers

spentaz

Aug 13, 2010
I currently have 2 sets of batteries for my flash, namely, the eneloops and the imedions.

I'm currently using an energizer charger, from what I have read in this forum and elsewhere, it seems to be timer based. So i have two options, 1, run down the batteries to flat, and then charge it. 2, risk damaging it by just throwing the batteries into the charger.

My questions are
1.is there any way I could discharge the batteries completely?
2.Any recommendations for a "smart charger"? I read about the Maha PowerEx MH-C9000, is there any cheaper ones out there? I do not need to monitor increments in charge etc, just need one to recognise the battery's capacity and stop charging when it's full, regardless of the amount of charge left before charging. Overnight or quick ones dosen't matter
3.Where to buy?

I know it's a bit long:p

Last edited:
I'm using a Sanyo charger which has a refresh button where it would discharge the batteries before charging them. I got it about 3+ years ago. You may like to check and see if it is still available.

I currently have 2 sets of batteries for my flash, namely, the eneloops and the imedions.

I'm currently using an energizer charger, from what I have read in this forum and elsewhere, it seems to be timer based. So i have two options, 1, run down the batteries to flat, and then charge it. 2, risk damaging it by just throwing the batteries into the charger.

My questions are
2.Any recommendations for a "smart charger"? I read about the Maha PowerEx MH-C9000, is there any cheaper ones out there? I do not need to monitor increments in charge etc, just need one to recognise the battery's capacity and stop charging when it's full, regardless of the amount of charge left before charging. Overnight or quick ones dosen't matter
3.Where to buy?

I know it's a bit long:p

1)Can't answer you

2 and 3)Go to Eastgear and see see look look...

I'm using a Sanyo charger which has a refresh button where it would discharge the batteries before charging them. I got it about 3+ years ago. You may like to check and see if it is still available.

?? Sanyo charger got this kind of function ?? nv knew of it. Btw GeraldKhoo which model of Sanyo charger you refering to ??

Think all the maha chargers got auto cut off when the batteries are full. Might be a good idea to get the independent circuits ones though. You're not forced to charge in pairs and it's not going to overcharge when the batteries are of different capacities either due to wear and tear or just plain mix ups.

I'm using the MAHA charger which quite well serve my needs. It comes with Soft Charge Mode and battery conditioning. :)

?? Sanyo charger got this kind of function ?? nv knew of it. Btw GeraldKhoo which model of Sanyo charger you refering to ??

The model number is NC-MQR03RNU. It is a 4 batt quick charger with a word "Refresh" printed on the front.

My questions are
3.Where to buy?p

1) Sure, just use any small light bulb and let it run .. till the battery is empty and destroyed.
Discharging must stop at a defined level, otherwise you can throw the battery. All chargers with discharge function (usually combined with charge function as 'reformat') will stop at the right point.
2) I have MAHA-C800S, perfectly fine with me. Got it for about $100 including 2x 4 AA batteries and 1x 4AAA from MS Color. Basically, a decent charger can recognize different types (at least NiMH, NiCd; better ones also Li-Ion types), has a soft charge function (helps avoiding heating up the batteries) and a reformat function (discharge + full charge). Display is fine but not really required. Those types will always check the charge level and adjust the charging accordingly.
3) Sim Lim, Funan, MS Color, other shops .. once you know the types and features required even Challenger or HN can help you.

Hey, I have got the Maha C-800S from orient photo yesterday...works great. I should have gotten that straight when I got my flash :) Thanks all for the helpful replies