HDR vs Digital Blending

Status
Not open for further replies.

inckurei

Apr 25, 2007
Jurong East
www.butterflycircle.com
just a question, which do you guys prefer and why?
im just curious about Digital blending, can it produce a better result as we can have more control the image selectively. Unlike HDR, which process the whole image and we tend to get blown up/over saturated spots. And also it looks rather surreal when it comes to HDR.

Anyone care to shine some light on digital blending?

From my reading theres no significant difference really, digital blending is just using layers and masking in photoshop to extend the dynamic range whereas HDR just does it on its own. You can make pictures look surreal or as realistic as you want, processing the HDR way just gives you more options than digital blending in my opinion, which is just a long winded HDR in the first place. Although you are right, you can control the image more selectively with digital blending over HDR, but if you know what your doing you wont get blown up and oversaturated spots by processing through a program like Photomatix.

Theres no significant difference really, digital blending is just using layers and masking in photoshop to extend the dynamic range whereas HDR just does it on its own. You can make pictures look surreal or as realistic as you want, processing the HDR way just gives you more options than digital blending in my opinion, which is just a long winded HDR in the first place. Although you are right, you can control the image more selectively with digital blending over HDR, but if you know what your doing you wont get blown up and oversaturated spots by processing through a program like Photomatix.

i'm unsure of digital blending but from the way i read from these two post, let's say trees to be properly masked out, wouldn't there be alot of halo-ing? given that the leaves are so troublesome to mask properly or am i lacking some technical know how here

i'm unsure of digital blending but from the way i read from these two post, let's say trees to be properly masked out, wouldn't there be alot of halo-ing? given that the leaves are so troublesome to mask properly or am i lacking some technical know how here

I have no real experience in digital blending, but from my understanding, yeh, halo-ing would probably occur if you could not get a tight mask around the leaves.

I have no real experience in digital blending, but from my understanding, yeh, halo-ing would probably occur if you could not get a tight mask around the leaves.

alright! no problem, hopefully someone who knows it comes by and enlighten both of us in case our assumption is wrong lol

Status
Not open for further replies.