HDR: Tweaking exposures in RAW files

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagure

Oct 28, 2007
Hi bros!

I have been trying to process HDR photos from bracketing shots. however i read up somewhere in the forum that it is possible to create HDR from 1 single RAW shot by changing the exposures. (which imho is a better technique cuz this prevents alignment problems when taking the shots handheld. correct me if im wrong pls. )

i've tried using the canon program but i cant figure out how to tweak the exposure settings. is there an exposure settings in the canon digital photo program? i only see things like levels brightness contrast etc. Can any bros kindly advise me how do you tweak exposures for HDR?

thanks!

fyi not sure if this is useful but i'm using a 350d with kit lens.

Basically... what you want to do is to create a few copies of the same picture at different exposure levels.

Pic 1 use file to open and increase exp by 1 to 2 stops (depends on your choice of effect)
Pic 2 use same file to open and use as normal exp.
Pic 3 use same file to open and decrease exp by 1 to 2 stops (depends on your choice of effect)

Mix the 3 together and blend.. tat'll give u the HDR effect.

Hi, with a single RAW, its called Tone Mapping. If you are using Photomatix, it is very easy, just open the RAW file and do a "tone Map". If you are using PS, then do as Zac described.:)

The obvious convenience of performing HDR on one RAW is obvious. However HDR of bracketed RAWs have better colour in the image produced since they hold more information at different exposures. Single RAW can sometimes produce alot of noise especially whent the scene has alot of dark shadowed areas.

You can try asking night86mare or Hazmee. They have been doing a lot of nice HDR work!

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.